Switch to Forum Live View Awareness CAN save lives
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 10:20AM #1
DotNotInOz
www.nbcam.org/

Few people, I expect, are more weary than I of months or days dedicated to a theme or cause. Most such are a thinly disguised ploy to separate us from more of our money. 

However, I urge you for yourself or a loved one not to disregard the importance of getting regular mammograms as recommended.  

The only indication I had breast cancer was a fleeting, odd tingle. As it turned out, overcoming my resistance and getting the mammogram spared me having a more advanced cancer. Tiny as the one I had was, it had already migrated to two lymph nodes. Neither my surgeon nor I could feel any lump. 

Having completed treatment, I'm officially cancer-free and have a 98% chance of making five years and beyond. That percentage is the standard anymore for Stage 1 breast cancers. 

So, despite how sick we all get of the hype and myriads of products bearing pink ribbons, do take the message seriously. This is one disease-of-the-month much more survivable if caught early. Give yourself or someone you care about a better chance by taking heed.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 11:21AM #2
Lonesentinel

Oct 11, 2011 -- 10:20AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

www.nbcam.org/ Few people, I expect, are more weary than I of months or days dedicated to a theme or cause. Most such are a thinly disguised ploy to separate us from more of our money.   However, I urge you for yourself or a loved one not to disregard the importance of getting regular mammograms as recommended.    The only indication I had breast cancer was a fleeting, odd tingle. As it turned out, overcoming my resistance and getting the mammogram spared me having a more advanced cancer. Tiny as the one I had was, it had already migrated to two lymph nodes. Neither my surgeon nor I could feel any lump.   Having completed treatment, I'm officially cancer-free and have a 98% chance of making five years and beyond. That percentage is the standard anymore for Stage 1 breast cancers.   So, despite how sick we all get of the hype and myriads of products bearing pink ribbons, do take the message seriously. This is one disease-of-the-month much more survivable if caught early. Give yourself or someone you care about a better chance by taking heed.

Glad to hear - and thank you for the good posting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 11:48AM #3
hopebringer

Thanks , Dot for spreading the word and  I 'm glad your prognosis is good.  

Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours. ~ Noela Evans
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 4:31PM #4
REteach

Glad you are doing well, Dot!  Keep it up.  :)

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 11, 2011 - 4:49PM #5
DotNotInOz
Thanks, all. I appreciate the good wishes.

I'm doing fine, far better than I feared I might.

"Give a damn. Get mammogramed!"

Btw, don't forget that guys can get breast cancer, too, so any peculiar thickening or unusual skin redness should be checked. Men don't get it as often, but get it they can.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 18, 2011 - 5:21PM #6
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook