Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Chocolate as a Health Food
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 6:44PM #1
solfeggio
New studies have shown that plant compounds in dark chocolate act on the muscles in the same manner as exercise:

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/87...

An earlier study has implied that people who eat chocolate are less likely to suffer strokes and heart attacks:

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug...

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35354279/ns/health-...

But wait, there's more:

shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/5-strange...

www.livescience.com/3443-chocolate-helps...         

Isn't this great?  As a chocolate-lover, I certainly think so!    
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 7:59PM #2
Wanderingal

MMMMMM. Thanks!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 9:50PM #3
DotNotInOz
Well, maybe Mmmmmm.

I read some similar reports not long ago, and the dark chocolate that is highest in beneficial compounds also tastes pretty nasty.

Indications are that unless the chocolate is at least 70% cacao, it's not that helpful.

Tried some of that, and it's just nasty bitter.

Sure did work well, however, in a recipe for a dark chocolate and cherry savory sauce I made last week. That stuff was delectable.

The drawback of the "Eat more chocolate" movement encouraged by these articles is as was pointed out in one: You're likely to be ingesting a good deal of fattening stuff because adding milk and sugar makes it more palatable.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 1:32AM #4
solfeggio

We buy a type of 250g net chocolate block here called Whittaker's, and the Ghana Peppermint black is 72% cocoa, whilst the plain dark block is 50% cocoa.  Whittaker's proudly advertise that they've been around since 1896, producing chocolate 'from freshly batch roasted cocoa beans.'

As printed on the wrapper: 'To make great chocolate you need great ingredients.  After that you need people who work with those ingredients like artisans - controlling all processes from beans to bar.  We source these cocoa beans fresh from Ghana.  We than batch roast them here in New Zealand.  This dedication creates chocolate with a taste and texture that has made Whittaker's famous for quality since 1896.'

The ingredients in the Ghana peppermint bar include: dark chocolate, cocoa mass and cocoa butter, sugar, emulsifier (soya lecithin), vanilla flavour, peppermint fondant 36%, water, glucose and peppermint oil.

And it tastes great.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 3:59AM #5
Roodog

Solf:

"Chocolates is good for you?"

A person after my own heart!

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 6:05AM #6
DotNotInOz

Sep 15, 2011 -- 1:32AM, solfeggio wrote:

We buy a type of 250g net chocolate block here called Whittaker's, and the Ghana Peppermint black is 72% cocoa, whilst the plain dark block is 50% cocoa.  Whittaker's proudly advertise that they've been around since 1896, producing chocolate 'from freshly batch roasted cocoa beans.'...

The ingredients in the Ghana peppermint bar include: dark chocolate, cocoa mass and cocoa butter, sugar, emulsifier (soya lecithin), vanilla flavour, peppermint fondant 36%, water, glucose and peppermint oil.

And it tastes great.

Oh, I'm sure that bar does, Solf. The reason why is that it contains a LOT of sugar.

That peppermint fondant is largely sugar, the main ingredient in fondant--and then the bar contains sugar and glucose besides.

Is there a nutritional info panel on the wrapper that tells you the total amount of sugar per serving?

The 70% Ghirardelli bar I tried contained only 5g sugar per 1.5 oz. That's not much sugar at all to offset the extreme bitterness of plain chocolate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 12:01PM #7
farragut

Chocolate does have its uses. Bitter dark chocolate is one of the formerly secret ingredients in my award-winning chili.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 2:46AM #8
karbie

Actually, I decided as a teenager that chocolate was a vegetable--after all, it comes from a bean. Beans are vegetables. Great justification for the many food groups represented iin a chocolate chip cookie--grain, protein, etc. Most people liked the theory.

I was pleased when my theory about chocolate was confirmed by Conpton's Children's Encyclopedia back in the mid 90's. My son knew how it worked when he was 3...he wanted to go to the park; I said maybe later. He brought me half a bag of M&Ms and said "Here, Mommy--you need these more than I do." then he waited 20 minutes for the mood shift and asked about the park again. It was win/win for him; either the chocolate would work on the PMS or the guilt would. Either way he was going to the park.

Did you know that nuns were forbidden from making chocolate at one point? Apparently there was a problem with them spending all the hours they were supposed to be praying and used it to make and consume chocolate instead, and that's why nuns in North America were forbidden to make it any longer.

I know that the darker the chocolate the great the benefits although I've never really acquired the taste for dark chocolate. Even milk chocolate will increase serotonin levels.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 11:47AM #9
BDboy

Sep 16, 2011 -- 2:46AM, karbie wrote:

Actually, I decided as a teenager that chocolate was a vegetable--after all, it comes from a bean. Beans are vegetables. Great justification for the many food groups represented iin a chocolate chip cookie--grain, protein, etc. Most people liked the theory.

I was pleased when my theory about chocolate was confirmed by Conpton's Children's Encyclopedia back in the mid 90's. My son knew how it worked when he was 3...he wanted to go to the park; I said maybe later. He brought me half a bag of M&Ms and said "Here, Mommy--you need these more than I do." then he waited 20 minutes for the mood shift and asked about the park again. It was win/win for him; either the chocolate would work on the PMS or the guilt would. Either way he was going to the park.

Did you know that nuns were forbidden from making chocolate at one point? Apparently there was a problem with them spending all the hours they were supposed to be praying and used it to make and consume chocolate instead, and that's why nuns in North America were forbidden to make it any longer.

I know that the darker the chocolate the great the benefits although I've never really acquired the taste for dark chocolate. Even milk chocolate will increase serotonin levels.

>>>>>>>> Your son is smart!!

My family members are choco addicts. I am trying to get used to darker chocolate and making slow progress. ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2011 - 3:27PM #10
Bezant

Sep 14, 2011 -- 6:44PM, solfeggio wrote:

New studies have shown that plant compounds in dark chocolate act on the muscles in the same manner as exercise:

www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/87...

An earlier study has implied that people who eat chocolate are less likely to suffer strokes and heart attacks:

www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/aug...

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/35354279/ns/health-...

But wait, there's more:

shine.yahoo.com/channel/health/5-strange...

www.livescience.com/3443-chocolate-helps...         

Isn't this great?  As a chocolate-lover, I certainly think so!    

AMEN.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook