Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bill Clinton a Vegan
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 10:19AM #61
IreneAdler

Gosh! Often it is in the exchange of recipes whereupon folks learn about (and discover appreciation for) other cultures.

Remember Jeff Smith-Frugal Gourmet?  That was his thing-learning about other cultures via eating the foods and learning the recipes behind them.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 1:35PM #62
Wanderingal

Irene--Hi.

Sometimes I think that not everyone does want to learn about new ideas and new ways of doing things--and aboiut different people and their ideas.

The puzzlement is why they're on the internet--and why they're bothering people who DO want to learn new things.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 3:07PM #63
jane2

Aug 22, 2011 -- 10:19AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Gosh! Often it is in the exchange of recipes whereupon folks learn about (and discover appreciation for) other cultures.

Remember Jeff Smith-Frugal Gourmet?  That was his thing-learning about other cultures via eating the foods and learning the recipes behind them.

Irene.

I luved the Frugal Gourmet and own a couple of his books; one is COOKING WITH WINE.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 3:27PM #64
IreneAdler

Aug 22, 2011 -- 3:07PM, jane2 wrote:

Aug 22, 2011 -- 10:19AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Irene.

I luved the Frugal Gourmet and own a couple of his books; one is COOKING WITH WINE.

No kidding! I liked his pita bread recipe.  Rather miss his show with some of his 'home movies' of places he'd been and folks he'd met -and food he'd eaten.  I'll never forget his movie of rather matronly woman meticulously cutting up vegetables.  Looked just like someone’s aunt making dinner for all –according to some old-world recipe she knew by heart. Turned out, ‘auntie’  was a well-respected European neurosurgeon .  Got a kick out of that.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 22, 2011 - 6:37PM #65
Erey

Ladies,

I dont think any of us are very far apart on this subject.  I think sometimes we trigger other people unnecesarily or sometimes we are triggered unnecesarily.  That is the only way I can explain the last several posts. 

On the related topic,

What do you guys think of the data I learned where 60% of self-described vegetarians ate meat in the last 24 hours of being asked when the last time they ate meat?  Wild I think

That is from Hal Herzog's book, Some we love, some we hate and some we eat

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 1:35AM #66
solfeggio

I'm not surprised that all those vegetarians ate meat!  It just means that they still like the taste of meat to some extent, and that they're not completely ready to give it all up just yet.  I can understand that, because back in the day, when I first gave up meat, I used to wish I could eat fried chicken.  And my husband, who went veggie along with me, has often said that he misses pickled herring.

He said it last night, in fact.  LOL.  I can say, though, after something like 28 years of being off meat, that I really don't have any desire to eat it anymore.  I don't even like the smell of it cooking.  So, I guess it just takes time and determination to move on past that craving.

Whenever you change something in your lifestyle, like going on a diet, for instance, it means making sacrifices.  And they aren't always any fun.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 8:48AM #67
DotNotInOz

I agree with Solf that vegetarians who eat meat now and then haven't yet committed fully to a completely vegetarian diet. (I used to hit MickeyD's once every three months or so and joke with myself that it was vegetarian by waving my hand over my Quarter Pounder with Cheese and chanting, "You are a vegetable...you are a vegetable.")

One vegetarian I discussed this with once said she felt that eating meat occasionally is more common among those who transition by eating fish now and then but have given up eating meats and poultry. She felt, and I agree based on my own four or so years as a vegetarian, that going cold turkey, so to speak, makes some less likely to slip but others more so. Difficult to say due to individual variations.

Personally, I did better as a vegetarian when I avoided meat substitutes, so I think there's some merit to believing that not using those is best. Most of them taste pretty nasty while a person is transitioning and still has strong memories of what various meats taste like. I found that using meat substitutes to any extent only made me long for the real thing more.

I further agree with Solf that committing to vegetarianism with no lapses involves forming a new habit pattern. If a person succeeds, they often find that meat no longer appeals and the very idea of eating it is offputting. That did happen to me once I left off trying to magically transform cheeseburgers. ;-)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 12:43PM #68
Erey

Well that little factoid blew my little mind.  That 60% surveyed self-described vegetarains had eaten meat in the last 24 hours.  24 hours!  LOL

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 12:48PM #69
DotNotInOz

I bet a survey of raw food vegans would show an even higher percentage who report having eaten "poisonous" cooked food in the past 24 hours.

There's a group of people where you'll find some very scary extremists.

I know, because I became obsessive about raw foodism frighteningly quickly myself, and once I regained some measure of rationality, I was horrified at how they can rip to shreds someone who admits they've lapsed and eaten cooked food.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 23, 2011 - 2:03PM #70
Erey

raw food, that does sound hard.  Although I am sure almost any of us would be improved by increasing our raw food. 

I guess when Bill Clinton says he is a vegan I am really thinking he still eats animal products just not all the time.  If you were to quiz him about what he ate in the last 24 hours he would probably mention an egg or a bit of fish or something. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook