Page 30 of 33  •  Prev 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How to Get Diabetes
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 12:13AM #291
Mlyons619

Gee, going by the OP, I would THINK we ought to be discussing how meat causes diabetes.  That WAS the topic OP after all. 

We seem to have hit several detours and travelled a long and tortuous route away from the thread topic to get to this I-like-you-you-like-me online schmoozing we now have...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 4:38AM #292
DotNotInOz

Aug 24, 2011 -- 8:55PM, jane2 wrote:

On and on and on with this never-ending thread...

This board is devolving into Kool-Aid Land. Interpret at will.....................

Online schmoozing can get old, y'all. Pat my back and I'll pat yours........it's 7th grade stuff. In the end real leaders emerge as they often did in grade school forward.

Smile, engage.......yada, yada.

Aug 25, 2011 -- 12:13AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

Gee, going by the OP, I would THINK we ought to be discussing how meat causes diabetes.  That WAS the topic OP after all. 

We seem to have hit several detours and travelled a long and tortuous route away from the thread topic to get to this I-like-you-you-like-me online schmoozing we now have...

We know. Thanks for your input.

Feeling ignored and disregarded must bother you both so much that you have to interject rain on the parade of those enjoying what they're discussing, off-topic though it's long since gone.

Seems to me that the originator of the thread has the predominant right to be distressed by its being off-topic and to steer it back on topic, and she appears to be enjoying the several digressions.

Haven't you two anything else to do but play topic sheriff? Your scoldings are really quite tiresome. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2011 - 4:49AM #293
DotNotInOz

Aug 24, 2011 -- 7:18PM, solfeggio wrote:

I did read Sam Harris' book, 'The End of Faith,' and liked it very much.  In fact, we own it.  There is also a documentary in which Harris, Dennett, Hitchens, and Dawkins discuss atheism, and this one is well worth watching, if you can find it.  I especially like Harris, though, because he is a little more accepting of that which we don't understand than the others, who just dismiss anything they cannot prove with hard science.

I really like Harris's approach. As you indicate, he seems more open to the possibility that what we call the paranormal might eventually provide evidence of some sort of spiritual beings existing.

I like Daniel Dennett's writing style almost as much as Harris's.

While I've enjoyed Hitchens' wit, he's typically too caustic for me, although his book on Mother Teresa was spot-on, I thought. (Its title alone still gives me a smile--The Missionary Position.)

That fact that even intelligent, sensible people refer to the paranormal as 'freako' and 'woo-woo' shows what low regard this sort of thing is given in mainstream culture.  And this is such a shame, because there is a huge body of evidence supporting it in all its forms.

I've read so many books dealing with various paranormal subjects by so many reputable authors over the years that I always find it astounding that anybody would doubt that there are forces in the universe that are beyond our understanding.

Same here, although when I was active in the Unitarian Universalist church, I did enjoy referring to myself as a "woo-woo UU" when discussing what my specific beliefs are. < grin > UU's are generally such rationalists that I found it rather fun to tweak them by identifying myself as such. The question, "How is it that such an obviously intelligent woman as yourself can believe in that stuff?" got beyond tiresome, though.

:::::: scribbles down the titles that Solf mentioned ::::: Oh, goody! More books to read (as if I needed any encouragement!)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 12:17AM #294
Mlyons619

Aug 25, 2011 -- 4:38AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Aug 24, 2011 -- 8:55PM, jane2 wrote:

On and on and on with this never-ending thread...

This board is devolving into Kool-Aid Land. Interpret at will.....................

Online schmoozing can get old, y'all. Pat my back and I'll pat yours........it's 7th grade stuff. In the end real leaders emerge as they often did in grade school forward.

Smile, engage.......yada, yada.

Aug 25, 2011 -- 12:13AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

We know. Thanks for your input.

Feeling ignored and disregarded must bother you both so much that you have to interject rain on the parade of those enjoying what they're discussing, off-topic though it's long since gone.

Seems to me that the originator of the thread has the predominant right to be distressed by its being off-topic and to steer it back on topic, and she appears to be enjoying the several digressions.

Haven't you two anything else to do but play topic sheriff? Your scoldings are really quite tiresome. 

Again, what does all that have to do with meat causing diabetes?

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 12:28AM #295
solfeggio

So we schmooze a little.  Like that's a crime already?  There are some nice people posting in this thread, and I, for one, enjoy getting to know them a little better.  So sue me.

But, OK -  Meat and diabetes:

www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?i...

Eating red meat every day will raise your risk of diabetes.  Processed meat is worse.  And they're talking about habitual consumption.  If you replace that serving of red meat with nuts or grains, your risk is lowered.

www.boston.com/Boston/dailydose/2011/08/...

Exercise is also a factor in lowering the risk of developing diabetes:

jcem.endojournals.org/content/early/2011...

Also, low-fat dairy products, which are low GI, can help reduce risk as well:

www.ajcn.org/content/94/2/422.abstract

In other words, get out and walk more, reduce animal protein consumption, and include more fruits and vegetables in your meals if you want to avoid a nasty, creepy disease like diabetes. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2011 - 1:57PM #296
Mlyons619

Aug 27, 2011 -- 12:28AM, solfeggio wrote:

So we schmooze a little.  Like that's a crime already?  There are some nice people posting in this thread, and I, for one, enjoy getting to know them a little better.  So sue me.

A LITTLE?

This thread has gone for pages now not even talking on the topic of deiabetes, mich less mat and diabetes.

We have a nice DMZ thread for the social schmoozing, where we can get to know each other a little better, and the political, agenda-driven sniping is supposed to be off limits.  Trouble is - nobody uses it.

Aug 27, 2011 -- 12:28AM, solfeggio wrote:

But, OK -  Meat and diabetes...

...get out and walk more, reduce animal protein consumption, and include more fruits and vegetables in your meals if you want to avoid a nasty, creepy disease like diabetes. 

Okay. I agree with your summary.  Amazing!

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 4:47PM #297
Wanderingal

Mlyons says--

"This thread has gone on for pages."

So--even though you have chosen NOT to be an info-sharing participant in this thread you are objecting  to other people getting along and sharing info they have gleaned in their lives?

Interesting....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 5:24PM #298
appy20

We have a very large, fat family.  We have a lot of folks who smoke.  We have some thin folks who smoke and eat red meat.  We have fat folks that smoke and eat red meat.  Everyone eats red meat except me.  NONE of us have diabetes.  That is about 75 different family members.  NO ONE has diabetes.  As far as "situational" diabetes, there is no evidence that there are not genes involved there as well.  It may be different genes but it has not been ruled out that there is a genetic component to "situational" diabetes.  Our family has NO diabetes and we have plenty of folks who are morbidly obese.  I was tested for diabetes because I am very fat at the moment.  My blood sugar was perfect.  My triglycerides are perfect.  My cholesterol is perfect.  My blood pressure is perfect.  That is true for my entire family.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 6:43PM #299
solfeggio

Just because one family of obese people who stuff themselves on fatty meats, smoke like chimneys, and never get enough exercise doesn't have any diabetics in it does NOT mean that all the scientific research that has been done can simply be dismissed as irrelevant.

What a truly nonsensical, pointless post.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Aug 29, 2011 - 8:18PM #300
jane2

Aug 29, 2011 -- 5:24PM, appy20 wrote:

We have a very large, fat family.  We have a lot of folks who smoke.  We have some thin folks who smoke and eat red meat.  We have fat folks that smoke and eat red meat.  Everyone eats red meat except me.  NONE of us have diabetes.  That is about 75 different family members.  NO ONE has diabetes.  As far as "situational" diabetes, there is no evidence that there are not genes involved there as well.  It may be different genes but it has not been ruled out that there is a genetic component to "situational" diabetes.  Our family has NO diabetes and we have plenty of folks who are morbidly obese.  I was tested for diabetes because I am very fat at the moment.  My blood sugar was perfect.  My triglycerides are perfect.  My cholesterol is perfect.  My blood pressure is perfect.  That is true for my entire family.  

Hi appy,

Genetic predisposition certainly comes into play in so many cases of diabetes. My husband was insulin-dependant the last ten years of his life. Pasta was a taboo--much more dangerous than moderate portions of red meat. His physician was the head of internal medicine at Piedmont !! My father-in-law was diabetic, too.

I'm ready to see an end to the three-month Georgia heat wave.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 30 of 33  •  Prev 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook