Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View another aspect to vegetarianism...
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 6:44PM #1
IreneAdler

Interesting little story about folks going from vegetarianism to consuming meat: 

today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43549229/ns/today...

Difference in  many minds is how the animal is treated .

Irene.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 7:15PM #2
Ur2

As much as I love a good pork chop, a chicken leg or a steak... Raising animals for food, especially beef, is the most wasteful form of food production on the planet.

Whether it's humane or whatever the cause may be, the vegan way is the only way to be resouceful. And since now everything is focused on resouces and destruction to the planet, I wish I could agree with the person's choices that they've made.

Beef is the largest emitter of Methane gas in the US. The figures for the beef herds of South America are astronomical.

Interesting article, but I wish they'd change their minds back.

Thanx,

Ur2

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2011 - 8:36PM #3
solfeggio

Ur2 makes very good points, because animal agriculture has to be one of the most destructive forces on the planet today. 

The article cited in the OP is a pile of crap.  Vegetarians who whimp our because they just 'have' to have that pork chop or fried chicken are beneath contempt.  There is no 'humane' way to either raise animals or kill them.  There is nothing 'humane' about how food animals are treated, and nothing kind or friendly about a slaughterhouse.

What always amazes me about humans is this moral schizophrenia that is so prevalent in our culture.  We love and cherish our cats and dogs and hamsters and wouldn't even dream of letting them come to any harm, and at the same time we have no problem at all with forcing pigs, chickens, calves and other animals to exsist in tiny enclosures for the few months of their miserable lives and then putting them through the horrors of the slaughter house.

And none of our pets are any different from the animals that are used for food.  They all have the same interest in staying alive and being free from pain.

The whole basis of moral schzophrenia is that people grant a higher value to a pet in being kept alive rather than being killed, as opposed to other animals whose value is considered to be in being made into food.  This is speciesism. 

The bottom line here is that anybody who says s/he truly loves and respects our fellow animals and cares about their feelings does not eat them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 2:33AM #4
DotNotInOz
Thanks for that thoughtful article, Irene, which expresses well many of my concerns as a former vegetarian. 

However, both my husband and I have medical problems that render our digestions incapable of handling a vegetarian diet. Hence my saying that vegetarianism is not for everyone despite ethical issues which make it preferable. 

It would be pleasant to get some compassion from vegans and vegetarians, but it is sadly all too typical for them to grant it only to non-human animals. That they do so makes it easy to disbelieve that a moral diet makes a more moral person. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 9:07AM #5
mytmouse57

I asked the animals.

They don't care.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 10:34AM #6
Erey

I think it is natural to change your eating habits over time. To have vegetarian, omnivorious and even vegan periods.  I think our body changes as we go through life and our dietary needs change along with it. 

I think it is important to consider what you eat and seek dietary changes that might improve your health and wellbeing. 

I think unless people are eating off the endangered species list or eating things that cause them obvious harm I believe we should not make such a big deal about what others eat. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 6:40PM #7
solfeggio

It IS important to make 'a big deal' about what others eat, because what others eat impacts our planet and its inhabitants in many ways!  As stated in the OP, animal agriculture is destructive.  And, as everybody knows but won't own up to, animal agriculture is cruel and inhumane in the extreme.

Those two factors alone should make any thoughtful person sit up and take notice of what is going on around us every minute of every day.

If giving up the friggin' meat would help not just the planet but the sentient nonhuman animals that live here, too, then I would say that 'other people' should at least think about giving up the fu*king meat.

Geeze.  Is that so hard to grasp?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 7:41PM #8
arielg

Studies on human nutrition consider only the material aspects. 

But humans are more than just animals.  Studies never take into account the mental and emotional aspects, that somethimes are even more important than what is eaten.  Studies just count numbers. They never consider empathy, hate anger, love. But these states of mind  influence what we eat and how we digest the food.

Someone with a  strong sense of empathy for animals, would not consider meat, even if science says it has  a lot of protein.
Their emotional side would reject it and make it into poison, no matter what science says. Just try to get some dog lover to eat dog meat  and one would get the point.  That particular empathy some have for dogs, others  have for all animals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 8:09PM #9
Ur2

I suspect the people in the article became vegans maybe because of the BS that is fed to the animals raised as food. Antibiotics, hormones and the whatnot are passed along and even enter the water supply. I swear the little girls nowadays are developing faster nowadays... and I am not a DOM.

If you google this: hormones in food make girls develop faster, a plethora of info on this subject comes up to support my notion.

Thanx,

Ur2

Health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

The next best thing to being clever is being able to quote someone who is.

"Truth is mighty and will prevail. There is nothing the matter with this, except it ain't so."
Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2011 - 10:04PM #10
MMarcoe

Jun 29, 2011 -- 9:07AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I asked the animals.

They don't care.

I asked the animals. They DO care. A lot.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook