3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 12:50PM #1
Lin
There is a fine line between genious and insanity. I have erased this line.
- Oscar Levant (1906-1972)

Sanity calms, but madness is more interesting.
- John Russell

With those words I start this topic. I can't help but feel the truth behind them. There is many questions when it comes to sanity, or insanity. I personally feel that life is much more interesting when you live outside the box. But I'm not the first to say that. I'm not the first to say that to be sane, one must find some insanity.

This my question is, when is a religion a mark of a sicness? I was broght up a Lutheran. Many others are Catholics. Or Buddhist. Or something. When is ones beliefs healthy, and when should one be locked up?

I have bipolar disorder. At least, that is the latest label the Doctors put me under. I've had a lot of other labels, as they search for the box to put me in. Personally, I try not to care. I used to care, but now, I try not to. Out of habit, I still do care a little bit, but I get better at not caring. I've found that "bipolar" is just one more label, just one more attempt to put me in a box. I don't accept it.

This doctor I went to some years ago, he thought that I was really sick. He always kept asking me if I heard voices or if I saw things that was not there. I always answered him, that all the voices I hear, usually are conected to the fact that someone near me opened her mouth and something came out. Or if not that, I hade pushed "play" on my stereo. Or something like that. And what I saw. Well, I see a lot of things. As far as today, the fact that I've seen something, has meant there has been something there. The question is, is there something that is there, that we can't see? It is proven, that there are spectrums of light humans do not see. So how can we say that we see everything as it is? And when someone sees something, that others do not, how can we know it is wrong? But hallucinating? No, not as this far. Still, this doctor kept asking. It seemed to me he was hoping for me to answer yes, I see thing that are not there, and here voices that others do not here.

I ones told this doctor, that I am interested in religion. At that time, it was important for me to say that there is a Goddess as well as a God. Equality, and all that. Of course, he wrote that down. And send me talk to a Priest, since he thought my believes were "crazy". But I ask, who is he to decide that? So, I don't believe as the mayority believe. Does that make me insane?

My beliefs have changed much trough the years. I've been searching, and I've been unsertain. Now, I've found my Path. I do not know the answer to every question, but I know My Path. I believe in the Unnamed. I also believe that people are here for a reason. Each and everyone of us has a Path to walk. One migth walk the Path of Science, some others spend their life helping people. And some, like me, spend their life looking for the Spiritual Path and Truth. Not one Path is better than an other. They are all needed. No one is special because everyone is special.

Am I Crazy? I believe that I am one of the Spiritual Seekers. But that is no better than being a sSeker of Truth through Science. I do not believe I am anything special. I do not have "the Voice of God" in my head. I just have found this certany inside me that gives me strength and say that I am finally on the right path. I have finally found knowledge behind the beliefs.

What is the difference between crazy and religious? Should everyone eat medicine until the only truth there is is the truth of science?or is the truth the truth of a mayor religion? Is it plain crazy or stupied to believe something else? Something not mainstream?

In hospitals there are people calling themselves Jesus or Napoleon or some other. People that I believe are not happy with their being their own person. But is there a difference between them, and me, who say I am a Spiritual Seeker. I do not name myself Jesus, but I do say that I believe also Jesus was probably a Spiritual Seeker. I do not know for sure, because I do not know Jesus. But I do not believe in anyone who say "I am the Son of God". The Unnamed is in us all. Noone is better or worse that another. We are all worthy. We just walk different paths. But who is it that say "you are crazy, if you believe this"?

Who is it that gets to say who gets labeled "crazy" for their believes?

A little crazy in us all help us think outside the box. Still, I do not talk religion anymore with doctors. Do you?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2011 - 6:57PM #2
docwitchy

I was browsing through boards and saw your post, Lin, and, obviously, decided to reply.

I am a physician, but I am not going to offer any medical advice. Besides being improper it would be worthless because my specialty is trauma sergery which isn't much use for anything spiritual or psychological.

But, I do have an opinion regarding mixing medical care with religion and it is simple. Don't! I know that some pysicians do mix the two, but my husband (also an MD, neurosurgeon) and I always do our best to stay far away from anything spiritual when treating any patient. We leave the spiritual to the hospital chaplains.

Having said that, however, many patients need and respond well to spiritual advice, counsel, prayer, and simply the kind pesence of a cleric of whatever faith. So I don't discount its importance.

I will say that you should do what feels right for you, and also, if you are properly diagnosed as bipolar, understand that this is a MEDICAL condition, and the depression associated with bipolar disorder is CHEMICALLY based and does NOT mean that anyone is 'crazy' (I hate that word). And, this is very treatable and does not have to be simply lived with and endured. Specifics you must get from a physician who knows you and has examined you and talks with you face to face of course.

All the best,

Mariah

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2011 - 9:30PM #3
koala972

i been through the system...  I personally still haven't seen or heard anything that demonstrably wasn't there {although the circumstances things I have seen appeared in leave a lot of open questions}  sometimes now I wish I could said I had - but anyway that didn't stop the drs from assuming I was lieing when I relayed that info oh well...

But while being in the system, I came to realize at some point that a lot of the people who are there seem to be exposed to parts of reality that are off limits when you can get people to describe you as 'sane'.   And they just cope as best they can with information they don't knoew what to do with whiel being told it is wrong to consider this as a part of reality and sometimes when they are caught by the system other things happen...

well we could go around and around in circles about who is right on such things, the established system or the existance of self and/or others who would seem to deny the established system is right...  but really your attitude, which I sense is one of becoming indifferent to all this...  is pretty cool.  It is much much better than the standard 'I see a problem lets rally the troops and fix it' that many people seem to fall for when presented with some hardship or other...  it is prolly an important part of some eastern spiritual traditions as well...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 03, 2011 - 12:29AM #4
Estacia

Koaloa,

I really enjoyed reading your reply to this post

Stacey

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jan 21, 2012 - 12:27AM #5
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Hi Lin:

That was a long post! Psychiatrist Ronald Laing considered normality to be boring.

Yesterday a mental health consumer fled from a crawling infant. In doing so, he knocked asunder my chess game!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2012 - 9:01AM #6
gabzgrl

This topic is a year old, but I'll respond anyways. I totally relate to your ponderings. I have schizoaffective disorder. That's like a double whammy. Some doctors think it's milder than schizophrenia, some don't. You're not insane. Insane would be rambling to yourself all day and finding your life worthless. I think a lot of inner healing starts within. I don't hear voices or see things, but I take medication to make sure I prevent that from happening.

I sometimes get tired of the medication, it makes me feel constricted. And I feel less happy, but more peaceful. It's just that, mental illness runs in my family. I need to take care of it. It's from my mom, I think, whose seriously Bipolar/Borderline or something because she's very selfish and also very unstable. I feel grateful there is at least treatment for this illness. Oh and don't mix religion with psychiatry. You need an open therapist who will embrace your views, but i wouldn't tell a medical doctor whose treating your mental health that. They can be really narrow minded, all they really are there for is to prevent psychosis or mood problems.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Jun 11, 2012 - 2:49AM #7
Estacia

Jun 8, 2012 -- 9:01AM, gabzgrl wrote:

This topic is a year old, but I'll respond anyways. I totally relate to your ponderings. I have schizoaffective disorder. That's like a double whammy. Some doctors think it's milder than schizophrenia, some don't. You're not insane. Insane would be rambling to yourself all day and finding your life worthless. I think a lot of inner healing starts within. I don't hear voices or see things, but I take medication to make sure I prevent that from happening.

I sometimes get tired of the medication, it makes me feel constricted. And I feel less happy, but more peaceful. It's just that, mental illness runs in my family. I need to take care of it. It's from my mom, I think, whose seriously Bipolar/Borderline or something because she's very selfish and also very unstable. I feel grateful there is at least treatment for this illness. Oh and don't mix religion with psychiatry. You need an open therapist who will embrace your views, but i wouldn't tell a medical doctor whose treating your mental health that. They can be really narrow minded, all they really are there for is to prevent psychosis or mood problems.

I sometimes get tired of the medication, it makes me feel constricted. And I feel less happy, but more peaceful

I feel the same way at times. I know if I don't take my meds I am unstable as hell.

I wish you luck and Love.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook