Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Maple syrup as health food? Yes!
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:35PM #1
solfeggio
A University of Rhode Island researcher has found that pure maple syrup from Quebec contains 54 beneficial compounds, several of which have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.  The researcher has found that the anti-oxidant compounds inhibit enzymes relative to type 2 diabetes management:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/11...

And, it seems that maple syrup is the only natural sweetener that has this anti-oxidant cocktail of beneficial compounds.  It's also interesting to note that maple syrup is the single largest consumed food product entirely obtained from the sap of trees.

But, the point here is that, if you like to use syrup on your pancakes or waffles, it would be better to use maple syrup rather than products with high fructose corn syrup.  Because excess fructose can be dangerous:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/10...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:40PM #2
Yavanna

At least it's quite the literal "hot" topic.

I've always preferred boysenberry syrup. It's an extremely healthy fruit as well.

I think what really matters is what else goes into the preparation. Organic = good.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:51PM #3
Christianlib

Let's see, coffee is actually good for me.

Now the maple syrup on my waffle is good for me.

Hey, I'm a health nut!!!

Yay!!!!!!

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 5:56PM #4
DotNotInOz

Being sensitive to the chemicals used to process various sweeteners, cane sugar and corn syrup foremost among them, I use real maple syrup almost exclusively as well as granulated maple sugar.

Better still, IMO, is to chop up some berries and let them sit in the fridge overnight so that they juice up, adding if you like a bit of maple syrup or agave nectar which is a healthy natural sweetener, too. Then, dump some of that berry delight on your pancakes or waffles. Gives you a bit of fiber as well as antioxidants, etc. And a real flavor blast! I honestly prefer pancakes or waffles with nothing but my current berry mixture atop them.

And btw, do check to be sure you're buying organic maple syrup. There's a notable difference in flavor if you've never compared it with non-organic. Sure, it's more expensive, but I'll pay more for the flavor burst of organic every time, not to mention the benefits to the environment of buying organic foods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 6:44PM #5
Girlchristian

Mar 31, 2011 -- 5:56PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

And btw, do check to be sure you're buying organic maple syrup. There's a notable difference in flavor if you've never compared it with non-organic. Sure, it's more expensive, but I'll pay more for the flavor burst of organic every time, not to mention the benefits to the environment of buying organic foods.

I absolutely agree with this. The additional cost is worth it.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:11PM #6
writingal1

Soff--hi!

Thanks for another food thread. You find really good things to post on.

A warning really should go witgh the benefits re maple syrup that is sounded by nutritionists all the time--

--A food can have heath benefits of one kind--like the anti-oxidant benefits of maple syrup--and yet not be beneficial in other ways.

And one thing that people forget to do is th check the calorie content of beneficial foods.

Maple syrup is high in calores which means that it is NOT healthy to ingest a lot of it in addition to other calories.

I love certain kinds of gramola--which ['ve mentioned in other threads here--but as healtful as that is I must take into account the calorie content of a food that haa among other things honey and nuts which are high in calories.

So--just saying "good for you" isn't enough. Overall effects should be consdiered as well.

Sorry CL..... ;)

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:15PM #7
DotNotInOz

Oh, pooh to you, WG!

Someone always has to show up and point out the downside to yummy stuff.

:::::: gleefully admits that when she uses maple syrup, she slathers her pancakes or waffles with Earth Balance vegan soft margarine and at least a quarter-cupful of organic maple syrup :::::

Still healthier done only occasionally than smoking daily, so :-PPPPPPP to you!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:16PM #8
Paravani

SHHHHHH!  Hush now!

Darn it!   There goes the price of maple syrup, right through the roof!

;-D

Love,

-- Claudia

Mar 31, 2011 -- 5:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

A University of Rhode Island researcher has found that pure maple syrup from Quebec contains 54 beneficial compounds, several of which have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.  The researcher has found that the anti-oxidant compounds inhibit enzymes relative to type 2 diabetes management:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/03/11...

And, it seems that maple syrup is the only natural sweetener that has this anti-oxidant cocktail of beneficial compounds.  It's also interesting to note that maple syrup is the single largest consumed food product entirely obtained from the sap of trees.

But, the point here is that, if you like to use syrup on your pancakes or waffles, it would be better to use maple syrup rather than products with high fructose corn syrup.  Because excess fructose can be dangerous:

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/11/10...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:19PM #9
DotNotInOz

Mar 31, 2011 -- 7:16PM, Paravani wrote:

SHHHHHH!  Hush now!

;-D

Love,

-- Claudia

Yeah, well, when my favorite brand generally runs fifteen bucks for a 12-oz. bottle, I'd say it's gone through the roof long since.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 7:32PM #10
Paravani

Mar 31, 2011 -- 7:19PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Mar 31, 2011 -- 7:16PM, Paravani wrote:

SHHHHHH!  Hush now!

;-D

Love,

-- Claudia

Yeah, well, when my favorite brand generally runs fifteen bucks for a 12-oz. bottle, I'd say it's gone through the roof long since.

Woah, no way!

Where in KS are you buying ORGANIC syrup for only $15 bucks???

Please spill!

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook