Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View Maple syrup as health food? Yes!
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:09PM #41
mecdukebec

Apr 1, 2011 -- 2:46PM, Christianlib wrote:

If anyone wants to bring Maple Syrup to our house, I'll gladly make either Waffles or Pancakes, your choice.

Your political "side" doesn't matter.  Our mouths will be too full to discuss any politics.

In the Kebecois novel, Maria Chapdelaine, there's a beautiful scene where she is "sugaring off" during the printemps maple season:  As anyone can tell you, to "go sugaring" had a resonance up through the 1950s that involved a "sugaring shack" where "sugaring off" also meant a brand new Kebecois/-e 9 months later.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:17PM #42
shirleyj227

Apr 1, 2011 -- 3:09PM, mecdukebec wrote:

If anyone wants to bring Maple Syrup to our house, I'll gladly make either Waffles or Pancakes, your choice.

Your political "side" doesn't matter.  Our mouths will be too full to discuss any politics.

In the Kebecois novel, Maria Chapdelaine, there's a beautiful scene where she is "sugaring off" during the printemps maple season:  As anyone can tell you, to "go sugaring" had a resonance up through the 1950s that involved a "sugaring shack" where "sugaring off" also meant a brand new Kebecois/-e 9 months later.

I think I saw this as a play once in my teens. If it is the same I loved it.

Shirley

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:27PM #43
mecdukebec

Apr 1, 2011 -- 3:17PM, shirleyj227 wrote:

Apr 1, 2011 -- 3:09PM, mecdukebec wrote:

I think I saw this as a play once in my teens. If it is the same I loved it.

Shirley

Like all the great French writers, Corneille, Shakespeare, and Molière, Louis Hémon unfortunately was killed by a train, whilst asleep on the chemin-de-fer:  Oddly, this is the fate most wished upon an Anglophone, attempting to make maple syrup, in Kebec, but I digress.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:35PM #44
Christianlib

LOL

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2011 - 3:38PM #45
Christianlib

I grew up in the Ozarks, our maple trees were not sugar maples.  They gave a great show in the Fall, but no sap in spring.

The "home" sugar was from sorghum cane.  What most people call molasses.  Juice is pressed out of the cane, and boiled down in long, shallow pans, much like maple sap.  What you get is not nearly of the quality of real sugar cane.  But it was cheap.

In Hillbilly parlance, the home-made sorghum stuff was called, "Long Sweetnin'."  as opposed to "store-bought sugar."

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2011 - 2:11PM #46
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement