Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4
Switch to Forum Live View Happy people live longer
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 7:47AM #31
mytmouse57

Happiness isn't so much a choice, as a constant series of choices. It's how you react to each situation throughout the day as it comes up.

"Is this worth getting upset over?" That's a question that one can ask oneself literally thousands of times each day.

Like anything else worth having, it takes work.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 9:11AM #32
Christianlib

Mar 4, 2011 -- 7:47AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Happiness isn't so much a choice, as a constant series of choices. It's how you react to each situation throughout the day as it comes up.

"Is this worth getting upset over?" That's a question that one can ask oneself literally thousands of times each day.

+1

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 11:20AM #33
mainecaptain

Mar 4, 2011 -- 7:47AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

The only thing you have ever said that I agree with. :))

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2011 - 10:23PM #34
solfeggio

I agree with mytmouse, too.  And it's not the first time we've agreed on something, either.   (I would have used the smile icon, except that those don't seem to work anymore.  Assume that I am smiling.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 05, 2011 - 3:16PM #35
pjhm

Absolutely!  I have seen it in my own life - people who have been very ill - and probably shouldn't have lived as long as they did - kept an optimistic attitude and lived much longer than people thought.  It's not so much what life hands you - but what you do with it!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 06, 2011 - 11:21AM #36
Anesis

50% of our happiness comes from genetics
10% of our happiness comes from circumstances
40% of our happiness is something we can control!

Here are 7 characteristics of 'naturally happy people':
Optimistic
Savor life
Spiritual
Have goals
Helpful
Have good social support
Gratitude

We can change characteristics. If you have no goals, set some. If you are pessimistic, try reframing your pessimism, start showing gratitude, start being helpful in your community (ie volunteering), get some friends or find a club to belong to for social support. Start meditating.

Another interesting fact: in a Canadian study, it was found that the highest happiness rates were [self] reported in Newfoundland, which is the poorest province, but the most community and socially minded. The most unhappy people in Canada are from Alberta, which is the richest province but also the one with the most stress, highest divorce rate and least social programming and support.

Sonja Lyubomirsky is a psychologist and an expert on happiness, and these are her findings.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook