Page 29 of 29  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29
Switch to Forum Live View Vegan diet becoming more popular, more mainstream
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2011 - 4:43PM #281
solfeggio
allthegood -

Well, at some point, of course, somebody is going to tell you that you can't do 'X' whether you like it or not.  We get this when we're in school, from our teachers, and in the military from our superior officers, and even in business from our bosses. 

And, of course, sooner or later, we are going to be getting advice from our doctors about something.  For instance, if our yearly blood test shows that our blood sugar levels are too high, a conscientious GP will tell his patient that, if the person does not want to develop diabetes, s/he should get more exercise and think seriously about a low glycemic diet.

Sooner or later, I would bet that all of us are going to be told by our GPs to do something if we wish to stay healthy.

But, yeah, I get your point here. 

I can't just up and tell somebody with whom I'm having a casual conversation that they shouldn't be eating cow carcasses anymore, because that would seem very odd indeed to that person with whom I'm conversing.  But, in the format of an Internet chat room, like this one, in a discussion specifically tailored to talking about a different lifestyle like veganism, I don't think it inappropriate to offer information that might help a person decide to at least cut down on meat consumption.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2011 - 5:05PM #282
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Feb 2, 2011 -- 4:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

allthegood -

Well, at some point, of course, somebody is going to tell you that you can't do 'X' whether you like it or not.  We get this when we're in school, from our teachers, and in the military from our superior officers, and even in business from our bosses. 

And, of course, sooner or later, we are going to be getting advice from our doctors about something.  For instance, if our yearly blood test shows that our blood sugar levels are too high, a conscientious GP will tell his patient that, if the person does not want to develop diabetes, s/he should get more exercise and think seriously about a low glycemic diet.

Sooner or later, I would bet that all of us are going to be told by our GPs to do something if we wish to stay healthy.

But, yeah, I get your point here. 

This is where I usually have the can't/shouldn't discussion with people.  The underlying current of which is probably one of the biggest differences in our cultures.  Our teachers, bosses, and doctors aren't really telling us we "can't" do X.  Even if they use the exact word "can't".  What they are really saying is that we "shouldn't" do X.  Now, they may explain the repurcussions of our actions in such a way that we agree with them, or we may put enough weight on their words to do what they think we should do, but none of them really tell us a thing we "can't" do.  That's pretty much a legal thing, and far, far away from silly little internet discussions. 

It just seems that there is always a discussion running, whether it is about abortion, gay marriage, or gun ownership, that I have to say the same thing, "you can't tell someone else what to do or what not to do". 

Feb 2, 2011 -- 4:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

I can't just up and tell somebody with whom I'm having a casual conversation that they shouldn't be eating cow carcasses anymore, because that would seem very odd indeed to that person with whom I'm conversing.  But, in the format of an Internet chat room, like this one, in a discussion specifically tailored to talking about a different lifestyle like veganism, I don't think it inappropriate to offer information that might help a person decide to at least cut down on meat consumption.

Does that mean that I can offer my venison recipes, and tell you about the deer that I got this year?

all

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2011 - 5:28PM #283
darcamani
I am still about balance, offering alternatives with a positive pov.

I use silken tofu in lasagna to replace the cheese.  All I do is blend the tofu with fresh minced garlic, dried oregano, basil, and onion powder and sometimes use eggplant, or zuchini, or mushrooms to give it some texture and noodles with sauce. I love cheese, my mate can't digest it.  Problem solved.

I also like venison and although I no longer hunt, I do take care of those who died by car.  I bring the poor deer home, butcher and feeze, then donate to our local shelters.

It all works.
Gosh 1 year I had to handle a whole flock of Emu.I will never forget that one.
No waste.  Simply a flock that lost its human source  and had to be takin down. AKA: killed.

They fed a bunch of folk for months. 
 I was able to teach people how and why and what and although the Emu died, others lived and honored the whole experience.
  Got a couple trained healthy chefs out of that experience.  No cruelty involved.  Gentle, mindful ans very aware folk.

Shoulds, woulds and coulds  are simply words.

What works for me may not work for another, it is all good when we appreciate we all come from the same source and will return. 

Even parasites have a life.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2011 - 10:53PM #284
solfeggio
allthegood -

I would imagine that there would be at least a few people who would appreciate your sharing your venison recipes.  There is no reason why you shouldn't post recipes if that is your inclination.

I don't post recipes for the simple reason that I'm not much of a cook, and what I do cook is pretty simple stuff.  The only time I use recipes is when I'm baking cookies or cake or muffins or something for our regular morning teas.  And there would be no point in posting them, because everybody already has his/her own favourites in that category. 

As for talking about how you shot a deer - Well, I'd just have to skip that, because it would make me feel too bad. 

And it's not really on topic here.

You bring up the 'must' and 'should' and 'could' model verbs, which is interesting.  If you stop to think about it, there are many instances when you simply 'must' do something.  For example, if you come to a red light, you 'must' stop.  That is, there is nothing actually physically compelling you to stop the car, of course, but knowing that you could be cited and fined by a policeman if you don't seems to be a compelling enough psychological reason. 

If you want to write legible prose, and you want to show possession, for example, you 'must' use an apostrophe in the proper place.  If you don't, then people might not understand what you're trying to say.  Again, nobody is twisting your arm to do it, but if you take pride in your writing and want to communicate clearly, it behooves you to follow the rules of grammar.

And, if you're a soldier in a wartime situation, and your lieutenant tells you to crawl over that ridge and throw a grenade into the Nazi pillbox, then you better do it or be accused of insubordination and possibly be up for a court martial.  In this case, the motivation to follow orders is strong enough that you probably wouldn't even think twice about doing what you're told.

As for 'should' - Well, we all know that we 'should' brush our teeth every night, and lock the doors before we go to bed.  Religious people would feel that they 'should' say their prayers as well.  'Should' is rather ambiguous, though.  The Nazis aren't going to capture you if you don't brush your teeth, and if there is a benevolent god or gods s/he undoutedly will forgive a lapse in prayer-saying now and then.

(Of course, if the god/gods is not benevolent, then you'd better get on your knees right now or suffer the consequences.)

I 'could' go on and on, but you get the point.

Learn more here:

www.englishpage.com/modals/modalintro.ht...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2011 - 4:30AM #285
darcamani

Hi Solf, and all,
Forgive my aweful grammer and spelling. I happen to love commas and put them everywhere.

As I have mentioned, I am a chef.  My main source of income. I teach, consult, cook up just about anything.
Even getting into raw by request.

I can share vegan recipes that I have shared with my area chefs introducing vegan entrees to their menus as that is what I do. :)

I am making all this more mainstream right here in the mid atlantic, usa. 
Not for lifestyle or philosophy, more because local, sustainable and healthy work for everyone.

Vegan food is easy, the lifestyle takes thought.

I am not vegan, I honor the food and the source and all who wish to maintain this lifestyle, as I do everyone I serve.
Eat and be happy with the ones you are with.

It is winter here and soups and stews are happening.

Easy to get a vegan broth going.

1 carrot, roughly chopped, 1 onion roughly chooped and 1 whole head of garlic.  a slice of fresh ginger, a cinnamon stick, about 1/2"
some dried mushrooms if you have them or sun dried tomatoes, 2,  a chili, 2 dried bay leaves and 7 whole  peppercorns, Yes, 7.
bring to simmer and cook until carrots are done.

Strain, save the carrots, they are great!   Here is where I go none vegan I fry those in ghee with cinnamon and sugar.
 I don't share those. :),    the broth is ready.

Preheat oven to 400.  chop favorite root veggies into bite size chunks, place on baking pan and add a touch of oil,salt and pepper, maybe some other spices or balsamic vinegar, and roast for 30 min. 

Add lentils to the broth.  Any will do. bring to a simmer.  In a half hour take out your roasted veg and add to the lentils.

Yum. my family loves this one, yes bread goes with it and wine ...

Vegan, gluten free and fantastic. Except for the wine, not vegan.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2011 - 11:50AM #286
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Solf,

That's one link that is getting bookmarked.

Don't worry, I'm not going to tell you about my yearly quota for deer.  I was saying that mostly for effect. 

As far as recipies go, I don't have em with me, but one can pretty much substitute venision for beef, just remember that it is a much leaner meat, so the dish, unless one makes other adjustments, it might be a little dry. 

We really like it for stews, chili, and meatloaf, or really anything that one would use hamburger for. 

It's good for steaks on the grill to, of course, I like em ultra rare.  If a person is a well done person, they'd probably want to stay away from them. 

all
Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2011 - 7:43PM #287
rangerken

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 29 of 29  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement