Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Clinton Tries New Diet To Reverse Heart Disease
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:00PM #1
solfeggio

As everybody who follows the news must know by now, former President Bill Clinton has decided to try a semi-vegan diet in hopes of improving his health. 

www.ecorazzi.com/2010/09/22/clinton-expl...

paramita.typepad.com/dharma_forest/2010/...

Since something like 97% of Americans are into the meat-eating culture and wouldn't think of giving up their bacon or burgers, it is problematic whether or not Clinton will stick to the new regimen.  But, you never know.  Wanting to enjoy better health can be a powerful motivating factor.  And the vegan diet is very healthy indeed.

edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/expert.q.a/1...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:02PM #2
Weepingangelofthetrees

With his advanced age and the lifestyle and diet he's enjoyed all that time, he's going to need to consider far more than simply switching to a Vegan diet.
Poor man. He must be very scared, especially now that his only daughter is married and those thoughts of not being around to watch her marriage evolve, and the grand children that may arrive,who may possibly not know their grandpa. Embarassed Strength abide his resolve.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:25PM #3
solfeggio

Weeping -

Yup.  I agree that it looks like he's grasping at straws at this stage of the game and a vegan or vegetarian diet is probably too little too late for him. 

You get an idea of how desperate he must be to try such a diet, though, which is so very far out of the mainstream and considered by most people incredibly radical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:36PM #4
MMarcoe

Sep 25, 2010 -- 8:25PM, solfeggio wrote:

Weeping -

Yup.  I agree that it looks like he's grasping at straws at this stage of the game and a vegan or vegetarian diet is probably too little too late for him. 

He's only about 64, yes? Then he could have another 30 years ahead of him.

You get an idea of how desperate he must be to try such a diet, though, which is so very far out of the mainstream and considered by most people incredibly radical.

Perhaps, but it's getting a little closer to the mainstream every year. I say that we should encourage him in his efforts.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:50PM #5
appy20

Do you people ever look up any facts?  Vegetarian/or low animal fat, not necessarily Vegan, diets do reverse heart disease and are the ONLY diets that have the research to prove that.  There is ample research demonstrating this.  The only flaw in any dietary research is that the complete genetic picture (which we don't even have yet) is not entered into the equation.  Nonetheless, autopsies on people who had heart disease and then went to a primary vegetarian diet reveal that the disease is indeed reversed. In 90 days of such a diet, there is considerable improvement.  After about a year, the results are dramatic.  Once again, the entire genetic picture is not part of these studies. 

Yes, Clinton is doing a very smart thing if that is his goal.  Of course, his quality of life, depending on what he defines as his quality of life, may not be as good because the diet is unpleasant and those prone to obesity are never completely comfortable on it.  It has a high failure rate among those prone to obesity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 8:54PM #6
solfeggio

YES!  I've looked up the g**damn facts.  And I know that the vegan diet is the healthiest.  PERIOD. 

Low fat is all well and good, but ANY animal fat is bad for people.  Everybody talks about 'moderation' and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

We're not g**damn carnivores, after all.  Our bodies aren't designed to digest saturated animal fat.  And that's a fact.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:30PM #7
Abner1

Solfeggio wrote:

> Everybody talks about 'moderation' and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

It's worked for me.  I haven't gained a pound in twenty years, my blood pressure is on the low side as is my cholesterol level, my yearly physical keeps going fine year after year.  Sure, my dinner today was mushrooms, apples, cantaloup, and broccoli ... but yesterday I was with friends and they were having sloppy joes.  I doubt it did me any harm; my moderate diet hasn't so far, at least.  I see no need to switch to being a vegetarian.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:40PM #8
appy20

Sep 25, 2010 -- 9:30PM, Abner1 wrote:

Solfeggio wrote:

> Everybody talks about 'moderation' and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

It's worked for me.  I haven't gained a pound in twenty years, my blood pressure is on the low side as is my cholesterol level, my yearly physical keeps going fine year after year.  Sure, my dinner today was mushrooms, apples, cantaloup, and broccoli ... but yesterday I was with friends and they were having sloppy joes.  I doubt it did me any harm; my moderate diet hasn't so far, at least.  I see no need to switch to being a vegetarian.

There has been one long-term study that shows that your diet is, indeed, the healthiest.  That was the diet I was most successful with for 10 years. However, I don't know why but my taste suddenly changed. Now, those foods do not taste good to me. I would rather fast than eat them. I don't know why.  I used to love healthy food. I eat a lot of healthy food.  I don't buy bad food but I do consume it at work. 

I would like an appetite suppressor that was safe.  If I had my druthers, I would not eat at all.  That is my downfall. I dread meals so I put them off.  Then faced with hunger and a healthy meal, I prefer hunger for as long as I can stand it.  Then I get weak and dizzy and then have to eat. I still can't bear the good stuff.

Yet, in spite of that I do eat 3 servings of veggies and 2 fruits a day.  Unfortunately, I hate all of them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:44PM #9
Guessses

Sep 25, 2010 -- 8:54PM, solfeggio wrote:

YES!  I've looked up the g**damn facts.  And I know that the vegan diet is the healthiest.  PERIOD. 

Low fat is all well and good, but ANY animal fat is bad for people.  Everybody talks about 'moderation' and they don't know what the hell they're talking about. 

We're not g**damn carnivores, after all.  Our bodies aren't designed to digest saturated animal fat.  And that's a fact.

Wow! Well, I'm glad it works for you. Pass me the carne guisada and beef fajitas. Thanks! 

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2010 - 9:48PM #10
jane2

Sep 25, 2010 -- 8:00PM, solfeggio wrote:

As everybody who follows the news must know by now, former President Bill Clinton has decided to try a semi-vegan diet in hopes of improving his health. 

www.ecorazzi.com/2010/09/22/clinton-expl...

paramita.typepad.com/dharma_forest/2010/...

Since something like 97% of Americans are into the meat-eating culture and wouldn't think of giving up their bacon or burgers, it is problematic whether or not Clinton will stick to the new regimen.  But, you never know.  Wanting to enjoy better health can be a powerful motivating factor.  And the vegan diet is very healthy indeed.

edition.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/expert.q.a/1...

Thought of you when I heard this on the news a couple of days ago........................

Haven't read the other posts yet.

Jane

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook