Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 7:09PM #1
solfeggio

A new study has shown that people who followed the Atkins diet over a period of years were found to have a higher mortality rate than people who didn't:

www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-dean-ornish/an...

www.annals.org/content/153/5/289.abstrac...

Bottom line in the article is that we'd all do better following a plant-based diet low in animal protein.

And, as the author points out at the end of the piece, what's good for us is good for the planet as well, considering that animal agriculture produces so much global warming.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 7:17PM #2
teilhard

hmmmm ...

Ironically, the BEST Thing for The Planet will be a Human Population REDUCTION ... So by THAT Measure, Humans ought to GORGE on Animal Protein and die YOUNG, eh ... ???

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 7:54PM #3
Guessses

Sep 8, 2010 -- 7:09PM, solfeggio wrote:

A new study has shown that people who followed the Atkins diet over a period of years were found to have a higher mortality rate than people who didn't:

Bottom line in the article is that we'd all do better following a plant-based diet low in animal protein.

And, as the author points out at the end of the piece, what's good for us is good for the planet as well, considering that animal agriculture produces so much global warming.

I've read so much about what creates "bad health" that I've decided to quit reading.

Infinite Blessings
Mike/NAFOD
"Lord, please, protect me from Your followers!"
"WWBD? Buddha- Does it matter? If you are enlightened it does not. If you are not enlightened it still doesn't matter."
"If you go looking to place blame, eventually you'll wind up blaming the Gods"
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 7:59PM #4
teilhard

LOL ... Yes ... Reading too much of such Stuff could lead to Depression and Anxiety ... which can lead to over-eating and too-much-unhealthy-snacking ...

Sep 8, 2010 -- 7:54PM, Guessses wrote:

I've read so much about what creates "bad health" that I've decided to quit reading.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 8:29PM #5
Weepingangelofthetrees

Any bodybuilder will tell you that high protein diets cause the body to gain weight and, with weight bearing exercise, bulk. Dairy contributes to mucous in the body. Red meat does not digest through stomach acid break down of the fiber, so it rots in the stomach and the byproduct of factory farming in that tissue, leaches into the blood stream.

His cycling of meals to lose weigh, via caloric restrictions and knocking out high intake of Carbohydrates (which the brain needs in order to survive), and Ketosis, (Fat Metabolism) can be said to contribute to heart disease, kidney disease, heart failure. (Read more here

Atkins diet made him very rich. But he was his own worst commercial, because it killed him! He died Obese, with a history of heart disease and over all bad health, at the age of 72.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 9:34PM #6
mountain_man

A new study has shown that people who followed the Atkins diet over a period of years were found to have a higher mortality rate than people who didn't

Duh. It's obvious that a diet where the beef is good but the broccoli is bad is not a well thought out plan.

That's what many doctors have been saying for years.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 08, 2010 - 10:05PM #7
jane2

Many, many years ago I became really sick on an Atkins' regimen.

Do people still follow this??

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 1:50PM #8
appy20

Sep 8, 2010 -- 8:29PM, Weepingangelofthetrees wrote:

Any bodybuilder will tell you that high protein diets cause the body to gain weight and, with weight bearing exercise, bulk. Dairy contributes to mucous in the body. Red meat does not digest through stomach acid break down of the fiber, so it rots in the stomach and the byproduct of factory farming in that tissue, leaches into the blood stream.

His cycling of meals to lose weigh, via caloric restrictions and knocking out high intake of Carbohydrates (which the brain needs in order to survive), and Ketosis, (Fat Metabolism) can be said to contribute to heart disease, kidney disease, heart failure. (Read more here

Atkins diet made him very rich. But he was his own worst commercial, because it killed him! He died Obese, with a history of heart disease and over all bad health, at the age of 72.

He did not die obese.  His body was bloated with fluid which happens in heart failure. My Uncle was underweight when he died of heart disease, but his body bloated and he looked like he weighed 300 lbs.  This has been explained over and over again in the press.  He was not fat when he died.

The body does need good carbs.  However, excessive carbs does cause inflammation in the body.  The new Atkins diet does incorporate more good carbs.  South Beach also keeps good carbs.  

There are some types of epilepsy that respond well to an all meat diet. However, in those severe cases heart disease and cancer are the least of their problems.  

You don't gain weight on Atkins.  You do lose weight.  I have done South Beach and lost weight for 2 years.  The problem is that you plateau too early. I could only lose and keep 22 lbs off.  Whereas on a vegetarian diet I can keep 50-60 lbs off.  However, I have other issues with vegetarian diets.  

Asthmatics and people with lung issues need lysine and zinc and meat is the single best sources for these nutrients.  I have poor lung function and was asthmatic as a child.  On a vegetarian diet, I stayed sick. I also could not build muscle on it either so I looked flabby even though I was very thin.  My skin was dry.

As in all things, moderation is best in diet.  No extreme works.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 3:06PM #9
Tolerant Sis

Nice story, except that Atkins died from a brain hemhorrage following a fall on the ice, and he wasn't obese or even overweight.  Aside from a virus-caused heart problem, he had a fairly healthy cardiovascular system at the time of his death.

Now, do I think Atkins' diet is nuts? Yep ... short on nutrients, high in fat, not good balance.  But Atkins' death was not from his diet.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2010 - 4:38PM #10
Weepingangelofthetrees

Well if you check Snopes.com they tend to say it's undetermined. A heart attack could cause one to fall and hit their head on ice.

However, I tend to believe Dr. Richard Fleming of the Fleming Heart and Health Institute in Omaha, Nebraska who's medical report was mailed out as to Atkins cause of death and published by the Wall Street Journal, quite to the outrage of Atkins family, because it was an alleged mistake on the Institutes part, and because such records were confidential information and because the falling on ice from a sitting position story, would have insured the continued success of the Atkins diet line, so as to insure continued retail sales afforded financial security to the Atkins beneficiaries.

(Excerpt) And according to the Centers for Disease Control body-mass index calculator, at 258lbs. and 6ft. tall, Atkins would have been considered Obese. (Excerpt: Snopes)

Sep 9, 2010 -- 3:06PM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

Nice story, except that Atkins died from a brain hemhorrage following a fall on the ice, and he wasn't obese or even overweight.  Aside from a virus-caused heart problem, he had a fairly healthy cardiovascular system at the time of his death.

Now, do I think Atkins' diet is nuts? Yep ... short on nutrients, high in fat, not good balance.  But Atkins' death was not from his diet.

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
Stephen Colbert
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook