Switch to Forum Live View Time to get serious
4 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2010 - 5:39PM #1
Cesmom

Okay, I've always had a problem with my weight.  I wasn't obese growing up...just always packing a few extra pounds and a size or two bigger than my 'skinny' friends, which I hated.  Since I've added some years of wisdom since then, I've become much less concerned about what size jeans I fit into.  I guess part of me kind of came to accept that I was never a size 6 in high school...what makes me think I could accomplish that now?  Anyway, I'm a pretty self-confident person in all other aspects of my life, so I've never let the weight thing get me too down. 

But, now I am really packing on the pounds year after year, and I think it's time to get serious.  It's not just about the vanity aspect anymore, although I am not happy with how I am looking right now.  It's gotten to the point that I find myself so out of shape that I can't enjoy activities I once enjoyed.  And, I am finding that my feet get sore from standing (I'm assuming from carrying around extra weight).  I'm starting to see that maybe what I would gain from losing weight would be worth the sacrifice.

So, at this point, I am somewhat unsure where to start.  I have kids and an extremely busy schedule that keeps us away from home a great deal of the time.  I don't have much of a grocery budget to work with.  So, in other words, I'm pretty limited to cheap, quick foods. 

Open to some suggestions on what's worked for others in similar situations...

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2010 - 7:37AM #2
IreneAdler

Can you carve out some time to plan menus for all meals/snacks for the next week/days?

Knowing what you will be eating can curb the mindless grazing/overconsumption situation. Also need to pay attention to proper portion size.

I find eating more frequently than 3 meals to be helpful too. Like 3 small meals plus 3 snacks. If these are planned and portioned out, this helps with the raiding the refrigerator from being overhungry.

Also, helps to have a variety of portioned out snacks ready ahead of time.  Can you score some ziplock bags and measure out 1/4 cup portions of lightly salted nuts? That's approx. 200 calories.  Other handy snacks are fruit, hard boiled egg or two, cut up veggies plus dip or salad dressing, 1 oz of cheese.

Suggestion for a source of yummy, healthy diet-friendly recipes: Cooking LIght magazine.  Can you visit library and peruse back issues for recipe ideas? Some recipes are long; however many are designed to use few ingredients and make for fast, inexpensive family meals.

I have other thoughts but am pressed for time now. Will add later.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2010 - 11:47AM #3
Anesis

In addition to the things Irene has mentioned, I would also add that North American people have no idea what portion sizes are anymore. Instead of one egg, we eat two; instead of 4 oz of steak, we have 10 - 12 oz; instead of a dozen almonds, we have handfuls at a time. We select the largest fruits and vegetables we can find and we fill up on starches because often that is what our budget allows for. One little suggestion is to cut all meals in half and see how it goes. Get to know what real portion sizes are.

In the last year I have lost four jean sizes. I eat up to six times a day, but have very small portions - one cup of food per meal. I have protein at each meal, and either fruit, vegetable, or starch with it. I avoid flour, sugar, and salt. That does not mean I don't eat it. I will have a wrap (white flour) with a couple of slices of deli turkey (salt is used as a preservative) and romaine (the darker the lettuce, the more nutrients are packed into it). I will cut the wrap in half and eat part for lunch and part for supper. That is a special treat....most of my meals look like this:

4 oz cihcken stir-fried with 1 cup of vegetables and 1 tbps of flavour (such as teriyaki)

1 Mandarin orange with 12 almonds

2 slices of fat-free cheese with 10 mini-whole-grain crackers

1 poached egg with half a potato fried in virgin olive oil

a cup of salad with 4 oz taco-seasoned ground beef

The other thing about the plan is exercise. I know it's hard when you have kids. I wonder if you have enough space at home that your husband would dance vigorously with you in the evenings after the kids go to bed, or if your husband can stay home with the kids while you go to the gym with a workout partner, or maybe start swimming with your kids - you do laps while they play. If your kids are active, maybe go for a walk around the field while they warm up for their big game rather than sit in the bleachers.

Once I'm out of college in December, I plan on taking dancing lessons again, and one thing I've done is start parking the car in the furthest spot from the entrance to my destination so that I get in a little extra walking.

Whatever you do, be it little or big, will make a difference, even if you do not notice it right away. A lot of small steps will add up at the end of the day.

All the best to you in your journey!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 03, 2010 - 2:57AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I have been slowly losing kilograms over the months. That pleased my doctor. I think the difference was from developing interesting hobbies. So I have been eating much less.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Aug 09, 2010 - 1:04PM #5
Cesmom

Thanks for the ideas.  Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here.

I'm thinking about trying Jazzercise for a month & see how it goes.  I suppose I could do anything, and as long as I try to be consistent at it, I'll see some positive results.

Just finished going through all of our vacation photos...I WILL NOT be that big on our next vacation!

We went out to dinner last night, and I took my leftovers for lunch today.  I looked at how full my lunch plate was and thought also about how crazy portion sizes are.  They gave me more than enough for two full meals last night!

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2011 - 7:16AM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day Cesmom:

trying Jazzercise
What about walking? 

Hiker

for a month & see how it goes
You're kidding yourself!

Altimeter

Quick Reply