Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Is happiness a state of mind or where you live?
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 7:52PM #11
David

Dec 22, 2009 -- 11:50AM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

It turns out folks who live in states such as Florida, Hawaii and Louisiana are happier, according to survey results recently published in the journal Science.

"The happiness ratings were based on a survey of 1.3 million people across the country by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It used data collected over four years that included a question asking people how satisfied they are with their lives," according to an Associated Press story about the research.

The research of economics professors Andrew J. Oswald, of the University of Warwick in Britain, and Stephen Wu, of Hamilton College in Clinton, N.Y., also consisted of "objective indicators” borrowed from UCLA researchers to gauge quality of life. The indicators included  commuting time, schools and crime.

Can feeling more satisfied and secure be fixed with relocation? Louisiana ranked first, while New York, my beloved home state, was last on the happiness scale. One of the researchers suggested that high prices around New York City, commutes and congestion contributed to the unhappiness rating.

"Not to be unkind, but some states that made the Top 10 are among the poorest in the country. Are people there truly happy, or are they wearing 'What, me worry?' smiles," wrote NY Times columnist Clyder Haberman. "More important, might contentment be overrated? Seriously, isn’t restlessness, even outright discontent, often a catalyst for creativity?"

For more on the topic, check out a New York Times column and Science article.

Share your thoughts.

I think, speaking for myself, that happiness is a state of mind...maturity, overcoming hard knocks, appreciating the everyday things and realizing that having God in my life has made a difference..and also that people matter...that doing things for others matters...and good things come back to me so much more....and it's also a case of mind over matter..I don't mind and tough times don't matter..."this too shall pass.."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2010 - 9:08PM #12
Karma_yeshe_dorje

I recently played in a chess tournament. Tongue out

Game end

I was told that the Director of Play had praised me for taking {losses} `with good spirits'.

Director of Play

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 28, 2010 - 9:37PM #13
Dunamus3

For me, happiness is a choice and a skill to be acquired as well.  I have found myself in an environment that  took every fiber of  my being to lean on the Word of God and let Him bless me with the gift of Joy.  In essence, many times it was necessary for me to really be focused in order to be happy because  of circumstances with evironment.  This is where skill came in, because choice alone did not "cut" it for me.  Folk in the southern part of the country as a whole do seem to be a little more  unreserved than many from other parts. Even so, it isn't the outward  appearence of friendliness that captures me, it is the genuiness  that has always gotten my appreciation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 02, 2010 - 10:55AM #14
Faintly

It is a destination and a choice we make.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2010 - 9:02AM #15
Cmleung

Maybe a person's mood (happy or crampy) does have something to do with the weather, but I don't think warm weather makes people happier in general.  I came from Hong Kong, a tropical area, weather are always warm.  I don't see people there are any happier than people here in Canada where I am living now.  Does it have anything to do with where we live, I guess it does due to different communities and cultures, not because of the physical location.

Is it a state of mind? I have heard someone says that, for human being who has strong desire of the flesh, it is easy for to hate than to love and be compassionate.  I am sure no hateful person are happy people.  I do believe hate and love are a state of mind, so is happiness a state of mind? I think so, but difficult to achieve. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2010 - 12:02PM #16
Karma_yeshe_dorje

G'day Dunamus3:

Folk in the southern part of the country as a whole do seem to be a little more  unreserved
That wasn't my observation of Tasmanians!

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 11:53AM #17
in_my_opinion

Agree with most posts here.

Have observed that there is a direct, high corelation between poverty and happiness.

The old saw that the poor wish to be rich and the rich want happiness is true.

Money gets in the way but it is handy. It has to be raised, nurtured, measured, controlled, organized and overseen. Like fire, it is a useful servant but a harsh governor.

The true definition of wealth is spiritual wealth and not material largesse.

Apart from choices and circumstances, human body chemistry can have a great impact. Depression and mania from sugar levels, sleep, sex, etc, can have strong effects on individuals.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2010 - 12:56PM #18
in_my_opinion

"Happy is the man that hath apprehended the Purpose of God in whatever He hath revealed from the Heaven of His Will that pervadeth all created things."

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 63)

"Happy they who are endued with true wisdom and understanding, who see and perceive, who read and understand, and who observe that which God hath revealed in the Holy Books of old, and in this incomparable and wondrous Tablet."

(Baha'u'llah, The Kitab-i-Aqdas, p. 139)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2010 - 10:42PM #19
Karma_yeshe_dorje

My companion had overestimated his ability to hike on a sunny day. As he continually collapsed with epilepsy, we had to take him straight home. Embarassed Any further philosophical conjecture is bullshit!

Epileptic seizure

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook