Switch to Forum Live View Has Anyone Heard of Maum Meditation from South Korea?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2009 - 7:09PM #1
Lahnjules

The term maum refers to mind but also encompasses soul and spirit in Korean. This meditation teaches that our mind and body are stored with images made up of memories and past experiences. These images in turn shape our belief and conditioned behavior. With this understanding, maum meditation seeks to cleanse the mind by throwing away the things that falsely define us. The practitioners say that this eliminating process ultimately leads us to discover our true selves and results in healthy mind and body.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 16, 2012 - 3:12PM #2
GratefulMe

Please don't listen to other in regard to Maum Mediation being a "cult" It is not a cult. A cult is designed to seperate you from others and implant ideas of what is "right" or "wrong" into your mind. Maum Meditation is the opposite. It uses the method of subtraction and is a self affirming process, meaning, no one tells you what you should believe. By simple doing the practice, you will come to realize your True nature and Self. I have been practicing for over a year now, and it's truely been a amazing experiance. Please find out for yourself. That is the only way to truly confirm what Maum Meditation is. Thank you for your time! :D

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 2:51PM #3
Horiama

May 16, 2012 -- 3:12PM, GratefulMe wrote:

Please don't listen to other in regard to Maum Mediation being a "cult" It is not a cult. A cult is designed to seperate you from others and implant ideas of what is "right" or "wrong" into your mind. Maum Meditation is the opposite. It uses the method of subtraction and is a self affirming process, meaning, no one tells you what you should believe. By simple doing the practice, you will come to realize your True nature and Self. I have been practicing for over a year now, and it's truely been a amazing experiance. Please find out for yourself. That is the only way to truly confirm what Maum Meditation is. Thank you for your time! :D

Hey GratefulMe!

Thanks for this beautiful response post.  It was very logical and uplifting to read it  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 22, 2012 - 4:48PM #4
Horiama

May 19, 2012 -- 6:37PM, knowthemaum wrote:

But of course, everyone must try something to know what it is. That's why I wrote at the bottom of my spiel, in the disclaimer, one must try something to truly know it. However, most intelligent people also do know that we gain knowledge fom reading others' experiences as opposed to reinventing the wheel and doing everything for ourselves.

Since you've been doing this for a year, could you please tell us who is the " mother" in Maum Meditation? And why do we have to write a letter to her about personal things? 

If you research cult, Maum Meditation fits the definition of cult to a T. Charismatic leader, centralized power with minions to help lead, a way to universal freedom/enlightenment/heaven, money involved ( 150.00 a month and $1,000.00 sky fund donation). 

Woo myung didn't find something "new", he just combined a bunch of practices together and called it his own.

I'm very sorry about your resentment towards Maum Meditation.  It sounds like you encountered some things that are certainly not representative of the organization.  I have been doing the meditation for a few years now and I volunteer as a guide at one of the centers, but I have never even heard of some kind of mandatory letter. 

You mentioned centralized power, but the center that I am at runs very smoothly and all the decision making is done by the three of us who volunteer here.  Of course we try to remain consistent with the practice that is done around the world, but that is just logical.

Calling people minions is a clear reflection of your disdain, but it seems unfair.  We all certainly volunteer willfully. 

The membership fee covers overhead and allows to support growth when the center is doing well.  Anything else is simply a donation, as you said. 

Sure founder of the meditation is charismatic.

I have tried many other meditation methods and I would say this meditation is incredibly unique and far more effective than the others that I have tried. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2012 - 2:00PM #5
knowmaum

Maum Meditation = Subtraction

I Google'd 'maum meditation' to see what people are saying about it and found a conversation that had been going on for a couple years now. Reading through the comments, I felt compelled to write my own. I tried leaving a comment, but I don't know if it takes some time for it to be published, but I felt it's worth writing about in my blog as well.

Maum Meditation is a method of subtraction. Imagine a whiteboard completely filled with all the thoughts, emotions, feelings, and everything else preoccupying our minds. What Maum Meditation does is erase all of that so that we can return to the original, clean, clear state of mind, un-dirtied by all the things in our mind created by our life experiences.
There are no gurus, no rules, no regulations, no coercion. The only thing that Maum Meditation does is subtract. Subtract everything in my mind, subtract the rules and regulations. Subtract any doctrines, beliefs, prejudgments, preconceptions, notions. Subtract everything. The helpers are not instructors; they just guide you through the subtraction method. You're the one who subtracts the junk from your mind because only you know what's in your mind. And when that junk is thrown out, you'll be the one to know that junk is gone. Thinking about it mathematically, there is no end to addition, but there is an end to subtraction. Instead of continuing to draw more and more and more on the whiteboard, why not subtract and erase all the junk and return the whiteboard to the clean, original state? Only you know the state of your own whiteboard. Every human being does have his or her own concept of the truth, but after throwing all of that out as well, only what's real should remain, right?
If Maum Meditation were a cultish organization that only brainwashes people with no positive results, I seriously doubt that this organization would be growing at the rate it currently is. In July 2007, there were about 140 centers worldwide, in October 2010 about 290 centers. As of June 2011, there are more than 300 centers world-wide, with about 4-5 more centers scheduled to open all over the world at the moment. There also should have been some kind of media coverage already on how Maum Meditation is a scam and fraud if it really were. There is some coverage about knock-off organizations in Korea but not of Maum Meditation. To-date, there are only negative personal experiences on forums such as this one and no negative media coverage about Maum Meditation. (If you find any official negative reviews or media coverage, though, please provide the link so everyone can see. People have a right to know the truth, right? Check here for various media coverage about Maum Meditation.)
Yes, I do practice Maum Meditation, but I tried to give as objective an opinion as possible. I probably would have quit myself if I had noticed any cultish intentions. But there was something sincere and true behind the helpers' earnest requests and persuasions for me to complete all the levels. They really seemed to want to help me find truth in my life and wish for me to live well. That's what kept me there and helped me continue to subtract to find the truth.
Once I started subtracting, the changes that came along with getting rid of the junk in my mind made the helpers' persuasion unnecessary. I knew that I was at a place where the method actually works. No more dirtying the whiteboard. Anytime there's something to deal with, I can approach it with a clean slate, instead of an incredibly muddled one with no more space to use.
I encourage anyone and everyone to give this method of subtraction a sincere chance, and approach it with some patience and an open mind.
Quick Reply
Cancel
1 year ago  ::  May 27, 2013 - 3:46PM #6
Gsmit

I found this thread high up on the Google search results and saw a lot of fluff, so I feel compelled to give some actual information for the sake of anyone thinking of entering Maum.

Maum Meditation is just another cult among dozens of others in Korea, although this one has been relatively more successful in marketing internationally, as you can see through the above forum posts. The pamphlet-printers spout crock about how Maum's not actually a religion, but that's just to convince already-faithful Christians and Buddhists to join in. The way this particular one works is this:

There are eight gwajungs (stages) of enlightenment in Maum, similarly to Scientology. You attend increasingly longer brainwashing—the cult seriously calls it "mind clearing", no joke—sessions. People start out at maybe 1 hr/day and go up to as much as 18 hr/day, and the cult gradually gets you up to stage seven as you become sucked into it.

The seuseungnim (head teacher) of the cult is one of a handful of people at stage eight. Most of the stage sevens keep on going for years—my parents have been at it for over half a decade—in the hopes that they will also reach stage eight. They devote ever more time and more money to Maum futilely, like a donkey chasing a carrot on a stick. Maum at least has the heart not to suck its followers completely dry as so many other cults do; I'll give them credit for that.

I know all of this because I've personally been sent to a Maum rural camp as a teenager and my parents are still involved in Maum. Don't touch this cult with a hundred-foot pole.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 weeks ago  ::  Aug 07, 2014 - 12:13AM #7
Karma_yeshe_dorje

Is this anywhere in Australia?

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook