Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View The family of an alcoholic
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 1:59AM #11
LunaSolaris

I grew up in a home with an alcoholic father and a drug addicted mother.  They are both great people with good hearts, who passed on to me a lot of wonderful values.  However, they are also suffering from diseases, and under their influence, I grew into the family disease of alcoholism.  I went on to collect all sorts of addictive and/or codependent people in my life, including my spouse, and suffered because I didn't know how to have healthy interactions or relationships with others.

I found Al-Anon almost four years ago, thanks to an AA oldtimer my Higher Power put in my path.  I haven't always worked the program to the best of my ability, but it's been an invaluable source of comfort, support, and suggestions on not only how to relate better to others, but also relate better to myself, and to life in general.

Growing up in an alcoholic home, I learned how to survive, not how to live.  With the help of Al-Anon, I've learned how to live.  Now I'm working on learning how to live for myself, and not live my life around someone else.  The multi-generational family disease of alcoholism stops with me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 01, 2009 - 11:04AM #12
Wendyness

Nov 1, 2009 -- 1:59AM, LunaSolaris wrote:

The multi-generational family disease of alcoholism stops with me.

That is the most responsible response of an alcoholic I think I have ever heard!  Thank you on behalf of another human that has suffered the damage of alcoholism.  May your Higher Power continue to bless you on your journey.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2009 - 4:07PM #13
hm2menger

I've known for a long time that both my parents had "drinking problems" but until I described living with my mother as "walking on eggshells", did it come to me that I've heard 100s of people describe that as the experince of a child of an alcoholic.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook