Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 8 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Recovered vs Recovering?
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2013 - 11:39AM #71
Seefan

Jan 18, 2013 -- 9:10AM, kenn wrote:

I understand why its misunderstood. I was a product of middle of the road aa for years. No one told me i could recover. Felt like i was lied to for years. It says we do in our book. People who don't want to see that may also not agree with making amends or taking others thru the steps. They pick and choose what they want from the book if they ever read it to begin with. Sobriety may be good enough for them.

Hey Kenn,

Nice to see you back for your 2nd post.  I find what you've said interesting for thinking back recovery was never discussed when I first came around.  When I started reading the BB in earnest I noticed the word recovered, especialy when read at the first of every meeting and I started paying more attention to it.  When I began to mention it to others or to bring it up as a topic at meeting I was told that it was a bad thing for the new comer wouldn't understand and would leave thinking he was cured.  While the difference needs to be explained whenever the topic may arise, I think now I do an injustice if I don't speak up about what I found in the AA literature ...

Thanks Kenn for your post ... Cool

In the human world, if we do not understand the divine world, is that a proof that the world of God does not exist?  (Divine Philosophy, p. 117 ... Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2013 - 12:09PM #72
kenn
You are very welcome. Thank you for the kind words. Its important for those still suffering to know there's a solution and we are obligated to tell them. It is a beautiful thing to see people recover and Im honored to be a part of it. Keep carrying the message my friend. We need you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2013 - 12:21PM #73
Seefan

Jan 18, 2013 -- 12:09PM, kenn wrote:

You are very welcome. Thank you for the kind words. Its important for those still suffering to know there's a solution and we are obligated to tell them. It is a beautiful thing to see people recover and Im honored to be a part of it. Keep carrying the message my friend. We need you!

Thanks!  And in the same vein Kenn, people like to know who's who so if you get a chance you might fill out your profile, if you care to ... Wink

In the human world, if we do not understand the divine world, is that a proof that the world of God does not exist?  (Divine Philosophy, p. 117 ... Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2013 - 9:12AM #74
kenn
I read the new grapevine issue. One of the warning signs it tells us we are headed for relapse is if we are quoting the big book and referring to page numbers at meetings. Oh no! Im in trouble!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2013 - 10:18AM #75
Seefan

Jan 29, 2013 -- 9:12AM, kenn wrote:

I read the new grapevine issue. One of the warning signs it tells us we are headed for relapse is if we are quoting the big book and referring to page numbers at meetings. Oh no! Im in trouble!

Didn't have the chance to read the article and don't know if it applies to me.  When I discussing the program I mention what I might have read in the AA literature but darn if I can remember page and sometimes even which book or pamplet I found it in!  Wink 

So did the article say why?  Does it have to with trying to impress?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2013 - 12:09PM #76
kenn
I believe that was their point but it sends a confusing message to newcomers.Could have worded it differently. It had 10 or 20 reasons to watch for relapse. That was one of them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2013 - 2:36PM #77
Seefan

Jan 29, 2013 -- 12:09PM, kenn wrote:

I believe that was their point but it sends a confusing message to newcomers.Could have worded it differently. It had 10 or 20 reasons to watch for relapse. That was one of them.

I must get a copy and see what it says.  Thanks for mentioning it ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2013 - 3:08PM #78
Clark12

Having "recovered" from a bullet wound does not mean I am bullet proof.  It means I am restored to health.  "Recovering" from a bullet wound means it is still festering, still causing me pain and hindrance.  

The AA pioneers used the word "recovered" meaning that as the result of the big book directions, they had lost the obsession to drink.  They also emphasize the idea that to stop seeking a Higher Power via steps the lifetime steps of 10-12 would mean the insane obsession to drink would return, as would their powerlessness. 

The word "recovered," like many words, must be taken into context.  In order to understand a word in context, I must study the textbook.  Recovered from what?  Recovered from insanity.  What does "insanity" mean in the big book? The obsession to drink.  Applying other definitions to the words "recovered" and "insanity" changes the meanings of the AA program.  

"God could and would if He were sought." (Relieve our alcoholism).    To finish this phrase, I would say that God will stop protecting me from the insane obsession to drink or drug, if and when I stop seeking.  Sort of like getting wet when and if a person steps out from under an umbrella into the rain.  It is not the umbrella's fault, it would be mine and mine alone.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2013 - 3:56PM #79
Seefan

Feb 10, 2013 -- 3:08PM, Clark12 wrote:

Having "recovered" from a bullet wound does not mean I am bullet proof.  It means I am restored to health.  "Recovering" from a bullet wound means it is still festering, still causing me pain and hindrance.  

The AA pioneers used the word "recovered" meaning that as the result of the big book directions, they had lost the obsession to drink.  They also emphasize the idea that to stop seeking a Higher Power via steps the lifetime steps of 10-12 would mean the insane obsession to drink would return, as would their powerlessness. 

The word "recovered," like many words, must be taken into context.  In order to understand a word in context, I must study the textbook.  Recovered from what?  Recovered from insanity.  What does "insanity" mean in the big book? The obsession to drink.  Applying other definitions to the words "recovered" and "insanity" changes the meanings of the AA program.  

"God could and would if He were sought." (Relieve our alcoholism).    To finish this phrase, I would say that God will stop protecting me from the insane obsession to drink or drug, if and when I stop seeking.  Sort of like getting wet when and if a person steps out from under an umbrella into the rain.  It is not the umbrella's fault, it would be mine and mine alone.

Well said Clark  ......... Cool

And welcome to Beliefnet ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 04, 2013 - 5:02PM #80
brewmeister

Great description,man, I am recovered from alcoholism taday and great to know others believe that too, in UK its AA's best kept secret

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 8 of 10  •  Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook