Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Recovered vs Recovering?
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 6:19PM #11
Al68

Hi All,

Alcoholism is not the only condition/addiction that uses recovered/recovering.  Maybe therein lies the confusion.  I always thought that people who truly understood their illness and were striving to overcome it day by day, used the word "recovering".  "Recovered" seemed to be another denial.  I am not part of either group by grace or heredity so I am no expert.  Thought maybe the voice of an outsider might help.

- al68

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 11:10PM #12
mikeincolorado

Andy,

It couldn't possibly be true, that someone could experience recovery from this malady, because it doesn't pass muster with you? Really? And you accuse me of being self-righteous?

Oct 3, 2009 -- 2:36PM, andrewcyrus wrote:

ANDY> when was the last time you helped another suffering alcoholic in recovery? Did you approach him on your mountain top of self righteous authority to proclaim your self recovered?

Nope. I helped an alcoholic 5 mintues ago (and I'm helping one now...), and I approached it as I always do; with this power, honestly, willingly, and with an open mind.

Did you ever stop to consider the possibilty that "recovered" and "daily repreieve" are not mutually exclusive?

Right now, I have recovered. And when I wake tomorrow, I'll do what's necessary to recover. Assuming I wake, of course Wink

Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 8:59AM #13
Seefan

EmbarassedNot to offend anyone, but by some of the words written here it seems to me to be a lot of judgmental comments and down right mean. If I consider myself to have recovered from the effects of alcoholism - the craving and obsession for alcohol, then I consider myself recovered. This is not self righteous or egotistical but a state of mind and body in which one finds themself. I believe this for me because those who had input into the writing of the BB said so. If Mike is off the mark, according to some opinions here, so are those first 100 members and many, many others who came after. Who are we to judge the life and actions of another, especially when they are in accordance with what is written in our literature.

If I'm working with a suffering alcoholic, (s)he is not worrying about the semantics but they are wonder if they will ever recover from this seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. I tell them yes! Definitely because I have! This is not ego but fact! I further tell them that while they have an illness that has no cure they certainly do recover as long as you do the necessary daily suggestions layed out.

We may be looking at the same side of the coin. If you truly consider yourself still recovering after a while in the program you might want to look at either how you are viewing the idea of recover/recovering, are you still suffering from the effects of that seemingly hopeless state, or maybe look at how you work the program. At some point you should become a happy, joyful, contented individual. That is being recovered! This has nothing to do with a factitious or higher than mighty attitude but reality for those who consider themselves recovered ...

With that said, others may and do live the same or better program as I and experience even higher level of well being, and consider themselves still recovering. But in my opinion and others, and we may be wrong with your thinking, but this may not be an accurate description of one's state of mind and body. You are no longer in a state of hopelessness.

Today, are you suffering from a state of craving - which, by the way, can only exist only if you have alcohol in your body? You can't be 'recovering' from a craving if you don't consume alcoholic for you don't have a craving! Part of being an alcoholic is craving 'if we drink'. If we don't drink we do not have the craving, therefore, we are recovered from that part. Also, when we were drinking it gave us the power to function on a daily bases by solving our difficulties, if but for a short time. In recovery we find another power some call GOD, which is even greater and takes the place of alcohol. The obsession for alcohol leaves within a period of time. So then, we are recovered from that situation as well. What's left?

I guess now the question that remains ... What would we be recovering from???

Wink

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2009 - 9:21AM #14
mikeincolorado

Oct 6, 2009 -- 8:59AM, Seefan wrote:

I guess now the question that remains ... What would we be recovering from???

Ourselves

Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 1:26PM #15
piecesofthewhole

Doesn't "recovered" go against the whole "one day at a time" thing?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 2:23PM #16
Seefan

Oct 7, 2009 -- 1:26PM, piecesofthewhole wrote:

Could you explain what you mean???

This is how I see it ...

We live our lives one day at a time being concerned with doing the best we can with whatever our skills and spiritual condition allows.  If we are recovered as I see it, then we continue to take the AA medicine as prescribed and remain recovered.  If not, the obsession comes back and if we start drinking the craving is the result.  This is called a slip or relapse!  We relapse into our old ways and are living with untreated or active alcoholism.  If we try to get back into the program we begin the process of recovering until the craving and obsession leaves.  But keep in mind that we are always an alcoholic and need to deal with it ... 

My understanding ...

Smile

Today the one overriding need is unity and harmony among the beloved of the Lord, for they should have among them but one heart and soul and should, so far as in them lieth, unitedly withstand the hostility of all the peoples of the world ... (Baha'i Writings)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 4:54PM #17
mikeincolorado

Oct 7, 2009 -- 1:26PM, piecesofthewhole wrote:

In some people's eye - it sure does Smile.

However,  I ask this question. Why can't someone be recovered one day at a time?

The answer, of couse, is there is no reason why that isn't possible. But, as in everything, that is a question for each individual to answer for themselves, in the light of their experience and circumstance.

Mike

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 4:54PM #18
piecesofthewhole

Oct 7, 2009 -- 2:23PM, Seefan wrote:

Could you explain what you mean???

I'll try... to me, one day at a time means that all we really have is each day...that it's a process... recovered, to me takes something away from that, where as recovering leaves it as a one day, one moment, at a time thing.  It's not over.  It's ongoing.

I do like the way you see it though.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 4:57PM #19
piecesofthewhole

Oct 7, 2009 -- 4:54PM, mikeincolorado wrote:

However,  I ask this question. Why can't someone be recovered one day at a time?

I suppose they could be, and I would vouch for those I know who I do believe are recovered...30 plus years sober with what I feel is very solid sobriety... but they still feel the need to go to meetings regularly.  Why?

I just believe that it's a matter of a daily reprieve... and therefore it's recovering.  Not recovered.  Recovered, to me, sounds like, all done.  I'm good, thanks...move on.  Maybe it's just me.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2009 - 7:39PM #20
Kapha44

Sep 12, 2009 -- 2:27PM, Seefan wrote:

What is the difference between recovered and recovering?  The Big Book uses both terms.  Do both terms somehow mean the same thing?

Seefan,

Good question and  great responses.

Per the BB they recovered. I would add powerfully recovered. But this a community deal and though my crisis is certainly over there are others. Everthing is designed to help me stay recovered. When I help a newcomer recover it helps me. So in a real sense everyone is still recovering.

No need to get hung up on bivalent logic IMHO.

Namaste 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 10  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook