Switch to Forum Live View Medifast Vs. Center For Medical Weight Loss
5 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2009 - 8:39PM #1
Brownowl33

I am trying to decide between two plans, Medifast and Center for Medical Weight Loss.  I had consultations at both today.  The Medifast Center is VERY expensive, wanting 1500 dollars just for the program, PLUS 75 bucks a week for food (I am on disability, no way this is happening.) However, you can get the food online without having to use the center, and that's only 300 bucks a month so that I can afford.  The downside to that is, it's a pretty intense plan and I would prefer to do it under medical supervision.  Center for Medical Weight Loss also uses shakes and bars, and they are about 600 a month.  You have to go in weekly for check-ups, and they also prescribe appetite suppressants.  More affordable, but the plan they want me to do is 800 calories a day of meal replacements.  This is very low, and while I understand very heavy people need something that drastic, I need to lose about 50 pounds and am not sure I want to take the risk

Any experience with either?  Medifast safe to do on my own (I do have a doctor who would watch over me, if I really needed to, even though he doesn't use the plan.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 24, 2009 - 11:58PM #2
Anesis

I went to a dietician recently, and she said that meal replacement bars are no better than very expensive, glorified chocolate bars. In the course of our discussion, she mentioned that if you want to cut down on your eating and you do not have high blood pressure, go with frozen dinners from Michelina's or Weight Watchers. However, if you only have 50 to lose, I would try other strategies first, like an extra few minutes of exercise or no eating after 6 pm, or snacking on fruit instead of nachos..... Another thing that is really working for me is to eat 6 snacks a day rather than three meals. I am never hungry.....

I guess I'm just cautioning you against spending all your money on those fads....if you really want to do a shake/bar plan, try Slim Fast - they have bars and shakes and you don't have to pay a huge fee to join.....just look for the bars and shakes in the pharmacy area of your grocery.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2009 - 8:19AM #3
IreneAdler

Have watched my sister use Medifast repeatedly to lose 100+ lbs.  Such programs do not teach one how to eat properly in the real world.  Whatever you do to lose the wieght, you must continue to do to keep the pounds off. She loses the weight, then goes right back to her poor eating habits and regains the weight.  And she gets very frustrated with herself because she cannot seem to keep the weight off.  So if you are only interested in losing the weight for a short period of time, suggest something like this.

However, if you want to lose the weight permanently, resolve to change your eating and exercise habits.  Consult with a registered dietitian (NOT a nutritionist) and work on a proper eating plan.  Such plans include a wide variety of foods, an occasional treat and don't leave one feeling deprived.  This can be tailored to foods you enjoy.  Alternatively, study up on nutrition and design an eating plan for yourself.  Learn proper portion sizes (this cannot be overstated).  Plan meals in advance so you never go into the kitchen without knowing exactly what you will consume.  And embark on an exercise plan.  Get a good walk in (30-60 minutes worth) every day. 

And so you know, I dropped over 100 lbs without resorting to gimmicks.  Have kept it off for several years now.  Learned about nutrition and exercise. Found activities that I enjoy (walking, running, weightlifting, bicycling) and good sources for fruits and veggies (local farmer's markets). 

Yes, all this takes time to do, but why not set yourself up for success?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 25, 2009 - 8:51AM #4
Brownowl33

Well, part of the problem is I have lots of health issues (fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome) that mean that I cannot really exercise, at least not vigorously on a regular basis.  I used to, before I got sick, be able to lose weight on my own by cutting calories and working out.  Now, though, it just doesn't work which is why I wanted to try something medically supervised.  If I don't do the Medifast (and you can get it online for less) I will do something I found called The Sonoma Diet, which is Mediterranean style food and very tasty.

We shall see.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook