Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Group that promotes health school lunches gets the White House smackdown
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:24PM #1
Agnosticspirit

OK, I understand and I respect that the First Family wants to keep their kids out of the spotlight... But if everything in this article is true, they're taking it too far.

White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children

A non-profit agency  that advocates healthier choices for the school lunch program was asked to take down their posters because the cute little girl in the ad is asking the viewers why she doesn't get healthy lunches like Obama's daughters do?

At this time, The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine have declined the request to take them down.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:38PM #2
Ken

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:24PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

White House Objects to Poster That Invokes Obama Children

A non-profit agency  that advocates healthier choices for the school lunch program was asked to take down their posters because the cute little girl in the ad is asking the viewers why she doesn't get healthy lunches like Obama's daughters do?

At this time, The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine have declined the request to take them down.

Well, the poster doesn't say Obama's daughters advocate healthy lunches, so I don't think the White House has a leg to stand on.

Of course, the question is a silly one. The reason the cute little girl doesn't get what she considers a healthy lunch is obvious: it's because her parents aren't paying $30,000 a year to send her to a posh private school.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:47PM #3
Agnosticspirit

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:35PM, Suezlu wrote:

www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/ar...

The above link is a story in the Washington Post about posters that went up in the Metro. IT shows 8 year old, Jasmine Messiah who has a thinking caption that says "the President's daughters get a healthy school lunches. Why don't I?" Jasmine is a vegetarian, that doesn't have vegan or vegetarian lunches offered at her school in Miami, FL. The White House wants the posters down because it deals with the President's daughters. Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine is a non-profit group that is pushing for nutrition-policy reform.  The committee said they weren't taking the posters down.

I understand the usage of children is not very good taste or not acceptable. But the theme of children not being given healthy school lunches throughout the country and the government isn't doing anything to combat that problem. I do know some school districts around my home and the State of IN. have tried to combat that problem. But what about the rest of the country? Are those in high political positions or the "upper" class who have children in school, given a healthier diet than the "lower" classes (middle and low incomes)? Let us hope this isn't like Marie Antoinette and "let them eat cake."

Hi Suezlu, you and I must have started the School Lunch threads at the same time! Since one thread has already a response and the other one doesn't yet, I'm quoting your post in this thread and I'll shut the other one down to avoid duplicate threads about the same topic.

Thanks,

---- agnosticspirit - Bnet Community co-host HTZ

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:51PM #4
Suezlu

That is too funny! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:55PM #5
Agnosticspirit

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:51PM, Suezlu wrote:

That is too funny!

LOL, great minds? Synchronicity? Coincidence? :) (no god did not tell me to.... LOL! )

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 3:59PM #6
Agnosticspirit

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:38PM, Ken wrote:

Well, the poster doesn't say Obama's daughters advocate healthy lunches, so I don't think the White House has a leg to stand on.

I agree... legally, they don't have anything to stand on... but they can still probably exert a lot of pressure, regardless of how legal this is or not... Methinks it would be incredibly unwise on the part of the Obama administration to push this, however.. Their protectiveness could very well be perceived as an attempt to stifle freedom of expression.

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:38PM, Ken wrote:

Of course, the question is a silly one. The reason the cute little girl doesn't get what she considers a healthy lunch is obvious: it's because her parents aren't paying $30,000 a year to send her to a posh private school.

LOL! I wonder what the posh private school serves for lunch? Pizza? "Chicken" Nuggets of dubious origin? Yogurt and salad?

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 4:07PM #7
Ken

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:59PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

LOL! I wonder what the posh private school serves for lunch? Pizza? "Chicken" Nuggets of dubious origin? Yogurt and salad?

The Sidwell Friends School website doesn't post lunch menus, but I found this sample menu online:

foodpluspolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 4:17PM #8
Suezlu

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:55PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:51PM, Suezlu wrote:

That is too funny!

LOL, great minds? Synchronicity? Coincidence? :) (no god did not tell me to.... LOL! )

I wouldn't dream of going to the God thing with you.  Been there and done that.  LOL!  I doubt it is pizza but something like salads, soups, boneless skinless chicken, fish (not sticks), fresh fruit........

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 4:21PM #9
Agnosticspirit

Aug 11, 2009 -- 4:07PM, Ken wrote:

Aug 11, 2009 -- 3:59PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

The Sidwell Friends School website doesn't post lunch menus, but I found this sample menu online:

foodpluspolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/...

Nice find, Ken.... Wow...tomato basil soup? Organic nachos? Sounds delish....

The swill I consumed attending the school cafeteria is the reason I refused to eat  parmesan of any kind until well into adulthood. I still opt out of veal on moral grounds, but love eggplant parmesan.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 11, 2009 - 4:31PM #10
Suezlu

WOW!  That school has a menu.  I had soy burgers ( that is what we were told at least), pizza, fish sticks and can't forget you could get a chef salad instead.  I settled for a chocolate bar and Pepsi from the vending machine instead.  Not healthy but tasty!  The private schools are higher intuition and you pay for what you get with them.  Wonder what the schools in Washington DC offer for the children who attend.  That would be interesting. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 8  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook