Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is there such a thing as GOOD fast food?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 8:25PM #1
whirlinggal

Here's a story hot off the net that will knock your sox off--or knock a few pounds off.

health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/33105/t...

Tell us your story for how much weight you lost eating fast food. And don't forget to mention the increase in your blood pressure due to the high amounts of sodium in these meaks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 9:06PM #2
Adelphe

What's wrong with this?

I find it helpful.

Fast food is a fact of life.

Especially if you have kids.

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 16, 2009 - 11:52PM #3
costrel

Jun 16, 2009 -- 9:06PM, Adelphe wrote:

Not if you live in a little dinky town on the prairie that's 40 to 60 miles away from the nearest fast-food joint! Tongue out

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 6:27AM #4
Adelphe

Jun 16, 2009 -- 11:52PM, costrel wrote:

Not if you live in a little dinky town on the prairie that's 40 to 60 miles away from the nearest fast-food joint!

Well my goodness!  What do you do when you're shuttling kids from after school stuff to soccer and then baseball and back for band? 

Like, bring something you've...made?  Surprised

Tongue out

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 7:09AM #5
costrel

Jun 17, 2009 -- 6:27AM, Adelphe wrote:

Jun 16, 2009 -- 11:52PM, costrel wrote:

Not if you live in a little dinky town on the prairie that's 40 to 60 miles away from the nearest fast-food joint!

Well my goodness!  What do you do when you're shuttling kids from after school stuff to soccer and then baseball and back for band? 

Like, bring something you've...made?  Surprised

Tongue out

Well, if you live in town, you don't have to shuttle the kids. Band practice (along with chorus) is part of the school-day (not after school), and as for baseball, the kids can just walk or ride their bikes a few blocks down the street to the diamond for practice during the summer. (And even if you wanted to send the kids to the nearest town with a swimming pool for swimming lessons, the school would provide a bus and a bus driver during the summer for that.) If you live on a farm, it's a little different, as then you would have to drive the kids into town (until they're able to drive themselves when they get their license at 14), but I don't recall many farm kids playing baseball when I was little -- they had too many chores to do during the summer. Maybe things are a little different for today's kids, but I can't imagine it's much different.

And yes, you'd have to make something Wink, such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some baby carrots and celery sticks and grapes and strawberries and bananas, or a baloney sandwich, or you would have to heat up some leftovers in the microwave and have everyone eat before they'd go, things like that. It's either that or taking them to the one restaurant in town for a nice sit-down family meal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 7:40AM #6
sydneymoon

Jun 16, 2009 -- 8:25PM, whirlinggal wrote:

Here's a story hot off the net that will knock your sox off--or knock a few pounds off.

health.yahoo.com/experts/eatthis/33105/t...

Tell us your story for how much weight you lost eating fast food. And don't forget to mention the increase in your blood pressure due to the high amounts of sodium in these meaks.

I pretty much avoid fast food, but I sometimes indulge in a Wendy's chicken sandwich and a chocolate Frosty.

I found out these two food items combined were approximately 800+ calories. Surprised

I'm kinda tiny, so it's no wonder I'm nearly comatose after consuming said items.

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 9:41AM #7
Cesmom

We've started packing a cooler to take to ball games & such for the kids.  I have to admit we did it more for our pocketbooks than our health.  Drive thrus were costing us a fortune!

Man, I couldn't believe some of those sodium levels ... wow!  And that was for the healthiest thing on their menu...scary.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 10:27AM #8
costrel

Jun 17, 2009 -- 9:41AM, Cesmom wrote:

Man, I couldn't believe some of those sodium levels ... wow!  And that was for the healthiest thing on their menu...scary.

Yes, but according to a news story I heard a few weeks ago, some of the fast-food burgers are healthier than some of the menu items at a family restaurant. It's beginning to look as if one needs to avoid any kind of dining-out.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 11:49AM #9
johndavid23

#1 - Never eat at "fast-food" joints.  If you need to eat, take your time, enjoy a good meal.

#2 - When dining out, ask to have your food prepared without extra sodium.  Any decent place will do this for you.

#3 - Get rid of your salt shakers.  Maybe keep some in the cupboard for boiling pasta.  You will get used to the real taste of food, rather than being addicted to the high-salt, gimme sugar syndrome.

#4 - Many store bought foods come with "seasonings"; use only a portion of these packets (1/4) and put your own herbs on it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 12:36PM #10
Cesmom

A lot of it, I think, is the convenience when your schedule is just so crazy busy.  Even when we eat at home, a lot of it is pre-packaged stuff that's not good for us, either.  Working full time with kids in sports, I don't remember the last time we sat down to a true 'home cooked meal'.  I guess there's no great answer, but we do need to avoid the McD's drive thru a little more!  Tongue out

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook