Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Is there such a thing as GOOD fast food?
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:06PM #11
whirlinggal

The three big nasties as far as food is concerned are--

--High sodium (salt) content

--Deep frying

--High fructose corn syrup.

It's fairly easy to stay away from deep frying--don't order any fried foods and don't make them yourself--grill or roast instead.

High sodium and high fructose corn syrup (used for sweetening) are much harder ro avoid.

Start looking at labels on cans and containers (especially of soda) to see that High Fructose Corn Syrup ("fructose" is a form of sugar) is used in almost everything. I now look for labels that say  "No high fructose corn syryup" like Newman's Own Lemonade. (and a portion of the price goes to his charity)

And be aware that the ingredients are listed in order of highest amount first.

So--looking at the Coke label (my own carefully monitored indulgence when it gets hot here--it says--"Water, high fructose corn syrup..."

And one two liter container has almost 900 calories.

I think that we got so used to the great convenience of fast food that we seem to think it has no calories or sodium etc--when it reeks and drips with those.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:06PM #12
adamcro-magnon

Let me advise you!  Cook your own meals – nothing ready made.  Do it all, prepare it all yourself – you choose the ingredients.  Nothing ready-made like instant religions.  There is no other way.  Packaged meals, fast foods - quick exit, full stop!  

My health has necessitated instant regime change – diets of mass destruction (DMD) were prevalent in abundance, easily located in all the bodily tissues and obvious to all discerning eyes – it did not need weapons inspectors to ferret them out.  There they were.  Goodbye cancerous kidney no 1 and as for kidney number 2 – bit of a disaster there – it is just pre-dialysis, so it has to be watched and waited on and diet is paramount.

Cut out all salts – save that which occurs naturally in food products (blood in meat tissues etc.)  No added salts either in cooking or on the table.  Instead - spices, lemons etc, herbs (plenty of them) and your food intake can be enjoyable – but you have to know how to cook; it takes time - it’s rather like being religious, it does not alas come too naturally to the all-too-mortal and ignorant soul; it has to be learned, even when time is precious.  

Too much salt means high blood pressure and kidneys do not really like to have to handle high blood pressure (they are rather like pets – they can’t always say what is wrong with them but they have a way of letting you know somehow): above all they want a quiet life, with things in moderation – they do not want a strictly and heavily,  ‘religious’ diet, rich in Dead Sea salts, just moderation in all things.  Moderation pays off and the younger you start, the better will you inevitably be.  No whole hogs!  But giddy youth does not always listen, does not always attend.  Age is always wiser - in hindsight.

Blood pressure!  Ah, for me that was too high.  They had already put me on three different blood pressure pills and thereafter I decided to cut out all the added salts.  Result: dizziness, almost fainting, scarcely able to stand up straight even after bending down every time to pick up what I thought could not but be that million dollar bill from the sidewalk (or million pound note from the pavement if you are not American).  They therefore had to reduce the dosage of blood pressure pills, cut one out completely and my blood pressure at present is perfect – has not been like that for ages – thanks to eliminating all those cruel and merciless, added salts.  No salt helps salvation and salvation is moderation in all things.

Salt is a killer; it is verily Satanic: savour it now and pay later.  Debts always accrue - always and they have to be paid even on the operating table, if not in the cemetery.

I rarely eat out nowadays simply because I cannot always control what goes into the food – perhaps once or twice a month I can succumb to a restaurant.  Savouries (generally too much sodium) are an absolute no-no.  Desserts are a must and are never declined (certainly not a knickerbocker glory).  Saying this however and following a regime thus, does not lead me to conclude that I shall live forever – the boredom would be hell.  There will come a time when the world will have to forgo the pleasure of my rare, if not unique, existence – but on that I do not grumble.  I eat but do not gorge; I relax but do not rest eternally.  And at present, even as I write, it is a glass of Muscadet (‘sur lie’, surely!)

Have I converted you?  Has my proselytising been succesfull?  If only........!  

If only Adam had listened!   

ACM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:11PM #13
whirlinggal

A great shopping tip--shop at the EDGES of the supermarket--that's were the fresh food is.

The center aisles have all the prepared foods--that's where all the sodium and high fructose corn syup are found.

Another shopping tip=--don't buy anything that has mroe than five ingredients listed on the label.

And that tip about taking an ice chest of snacks to games etc--great idea.

Fresh fruit like bananas and oranges etc have the necessary "fuel" for anyone engaged in an athletic activity--but don't have all the added junk.

I have a friend who benches 500 lbs (that's a bench press which means he lifts 500 lbs)--and his only nutritional prep is to eat an orange before he does it.

Tell that to your kids if they complain about getting fresh fruit for snacks.  Cool

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:15PM #14
whirlinggal

Adam--hi--good to see you here!

We were posting similar info at the same time.

Great minds...!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:16PM #15
IreneAdler

Good advice W Gal!

Forgot the other "baddie" to avoid- trans fats!  Not just found in fried foods but in many baked goods-which seem soooo innocent until one reads the label.  

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:34PM #16
whirlinggal

Jun 17, 2009 -- 1:16PM, IreneAdler wrote:

Good advice W Gal!

Forgot the other "baddie" to avoid- trans fats!  Not just found in fried foods but in many baked goods-which seem soooo innocent until one reads the label.  

Irene.

Irene--hi. Good to see you here!

You're right I did forget that.

Thanks so much for the reminder.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 17, 2009 - 1:54PM #17
Stardove

I use sea salt instead of the refined table salt.  It is more expensive, but worth the difference in cost IMO.  Here is the difference. (It is a lot of copy and paste, but the infomation given is of value.)

Sea Salt vs Table Salt

Table salt and sea salt have different nutritional value, which is better?

Sea Salt

Sea salt is a broad term that generally refers to unrefined salt derived directly from a living ocean or sea. It is harvested through channeling ocean water into large clay trays and allowing the sun and wind to evaporate it naturally. Some of the most common sources for sea salt include the Mediterranean Sea, the North Sea, and the Atlantic Ocean (particularly in France, on the coast of Brittany). Sea salt is healthier and more flavorful that traditional table salt. Available in coarse, fine and extra fine grain size.

Manufacturers of sea salt typically do not refine sea salt as much as other kinds of salt, so it still contains traces of other minerals, including iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine.

Table Salt

Table salt is the most common kind of salt found in the average kitchen. It usually comes from salt mines and once mined, it is refined and most minerals are removed from it until it is pure sodium chloride. Most table salt is available either plain or iodized.

American salt manufacturers began iodizing salt in the 1920's, in cooperation with the government, after people in some parts of the country were found to be suffering from goiter, an enlargement of the thyroid gland caused by an easily-preventable iodine deficiency.

People require less than 225 micrograms of iodine a day. Seafood as well as sea salt contains iodine naturally and the supplement is unnecessary if there are sufficient quantities of either in one's diet.

Which is the better choice?

Ordinary table salt has been stripped of it's companion elements and contains additive. In studies table salts have been link to hypertension and other heart or blood illness. Table salt also gives many people the feeling of being bloating.

Natural sea salt is a healthy replacement for ordinary table salt on the market; it contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs. Sea salt has nutrients and minerals that help your body preserve the blood cells. Overall, sea salts are better for you. If you haven't tried it, switch salts for a week and you will see a difference.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 23, 2009 - 3:24PM #18
Agnosticspirit

Hello, lovelies! This thread has been moved from Hot Topics Zone to the Health & Healing section, Food Issues & Body Image forum.

The ROC on HTZ is a little looser --- adhering to site wide rules --- now that it's been moved to this forum, the portion of the ROC that applies to Forums apply (in addition to any local guidelines unique to this forum)...

Carry on! Smile

agnosticspirit - Bnet Community host - Hot Topics Zone

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 24, 2009 - 1:17PM #19
Bohemiangrrl

Jun 17, 2009 -- 1:54PM, Stardove wrote:

I use sea salt instead of the refined table salt.  It is more expensive, but worth the difference in cost IMO.  Here is the difference. (It is a lot of copy and paste, but the infomation given is of value.)

I love sea salt.  Been using it for years.  I started buying it to use only for salt water flushes, but started using it for all my cooking too.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 7:44AM #20
appy20

I use sea salt too.  It is no longer that expensive.  Salt lasts me forever so it is no big deal.  I primarily use salt when I cook rice and pasta.  I cook the majority of my meals.  I do like McDonald's coffee and occasionally will have a chicken biscuit.  However, when my weight is heavy, I don't do that. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook