Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Pessimist or optimist...and faith
5 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2009 - 6:50PM #1
Godgirl

Are you a pessimist or optimist and how does it affect your faith?

I will admit on my own that I am a hopeless pessimist. Sometimes my faith hardly maters at all because i am such a pessimist that I cant be cheered up even by my faith. I still have lots of good friends even though i am a hopeless pessimist. Its just my nature.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 1:10AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Godgirl:

"my nature"

This is what is important. Of course we each have different experiences.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 2:16AM #3
Matilija

if you grew up with negative & pessimistic role models, you can change. you gotta wanna & be willing to up your mind to be positive. it requires conscious awareness to change the negative thoughts to positive ones. i highly recommend louise hay's "you can heal your life". do the work. i wrote out the positive affirmations on 5X8 cards and carried them with me for years. i reviewed those affirmations aloud every day during mini breaks at work, at bedtime and when arising. if you sincerely wish to look at the bright side of things and change your life, you can. i am living today & i am proof positive thoughts and living create a more positive life.

in a good way,

matilija

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 7:01AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Matilija:

"if you grew up with negative & pessimistic role models"

Not in my case; I have an organic brain disorder!

"you gotta wanna"

That cognitive distortion is also a logical fallacy!

«Making should statements - Concentrating on what you think "should" or ought to be rather than the actual situation you are faced with, or having rigid rules which you think should always apply no matter what the circumstances are. Albert Ellis termed this "Musturbation".»
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_distorti...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 3:54PM #5
Godgirl

I have a organic brain disorder too. However when i did use afirmations every day in the past...they realy worked.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 9:56PM #6
lapatosu

Nothing wrong with being a pessimist, as long as you can continue functioning in life.  Everyone needs some pessimism to work out ideas for worst case scenarios.

Lynne
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 09, 2009 - 1:43AM #7
Karma_yeshe_dorje
I have read that depressed people are the most realistic. Others have an optimism bias. And that causes road trauma!
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 10:30AM #8
lulu2

I believe one must ask themselves, "what is their faith all about?" As a Christian, my faith in all that is good, helps me to make the choice of seeing the positive as best I can. This requires one to focus on what is good in your life, than what is not. 

In my faith, "be not afraid" is the standard. Trusting in whats good, is faith in action.

Our soul is the recorder of the good, so to become a living soul, we at least have to try to give it the support it needs, for it to become our character.

God created man with it free will. It is our responsiblity to choose. Everyone has fears , however pessimism chooses to feed the fear, rather than to rise above it, as my faith requires..Otherwise, what is your faith in?

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 26, 2009 - 4:52PM #9
Karma_yeshe_dorje
lulu2:

"all that is good"

Good and bad do not exist. Attachment to what is liked, and repulsion from what is disliked, are suffering!

"be not afraid"

Fear of death is a hassle.

"soul is the recorder"

Memory advises action.

"God created man"

Rulers invented gods to intimidate their subjects. {Socrates}

"fears"

Anxiety inhibits unwise action.

"what is your faith in?"

I take refuge in the enlightened one, his teaching and community.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 02, 2009 - 4:11PM #10
Ichoosehappiness

I am definitely an optimistic person, although I know that bad things happen. Unfortunately, there is no way around that. Life can be hard. I believe we all have control over how we react to life's happenings however. It all starts with our image of ourself. The better your self image, the easier it is to see things in a brighter light...

Best Regards,

Ricky

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook