Switch to Forum Live View Recommended Daily Needs
5 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2009 - 2:37PM #1
nnn123

Recommended Dailys

not trying to upset anyone...just some general info to help people sort out their dietary needs....

http://www.netrition.com/rdi_page.html

Just a rough guide for what we need...

(based on a 2000 calorie diet)

Fat - 65 grams

Saturated Fatty Acids - 20 grams

Carbohydrates - 300 grams

Fiber - 25 grams

Protein - 50 grams

For Vegetarians:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-Food/1977-11-01/Laurels-Kitchen.aspx

"GRAINS, LEGUMES, NUTS, & SEEDS

Six servings or more. Include several slices of yeast-raised, whole-grain bread, a serving of beans, and a few nuts or seeds.

VEGETABLES

Three servings or more. Include one or more servings of dark leafy greens, like romaine, spinach, or chard.

FRUIT

One to four pieces. Include a raw source of vitamin C, like citrus fruits, strawberries, or cantaloupe.

MILK & EGGS

Two or more glasses of fresh milk for adults, three or more for children. (Children under nine use smaller glasses.) Other dairy products or an egg may be used to meet part of the milk requirement. Eggs are optional-up to four per week."

(I previously posted a link to an article from the Mayo Clinic about how to eat a healthy veggie diet...)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2009 - 8:53AM #2
Dag1789

The University of Maryland Medical Center has produced some very helpful online "health calculators" (www.umm.edu/healthcalculators/).  These include, among other things, a Fat Intake Calculator, a Carbohydrate Calculator, and a Protein Calculator.  These tools can give you suggestions based on your age, sex, height, frame size, and activity level.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2009 - 7:32AM #3
Heretic_for_Christ

Dietary recommendations are based on needs of a population in which vegetarians comprise a small minority. Calcium intake, for example, should be higher for people who eat a lot of meat, because they tend to lose calcium in the urine. Dietary needs specific to vegetarians are more likely to be helpful. Even so, the recommendations may reflect perceptions about what people will DO as well as what they NEED. So if the perception were that a certain low percentage of total calories from fat would be physiologically ideal but few people would adhere to such a low-fat diet, the recommendation might be for a somewhat higher percentage on grounds that it is better to recommend a good diet that lots of people will follow than an ideal diet that few will follow. Another issue is that different research will yield different conclusions about proper nutrition. And recommendations based on population-wide data may not be ideal for every individual.

For these reasons -- and also because I personally would hate to be doing calculations to determine how many additional grams of protein, carbohydrate, and fat I may consume as the day progresses -- I think a sensible approach is a vegetarian diet that includes a wide variety of foods of different colors and textures (rhymes with "salads"), including some high-protein items like legumes, and easy on the high-fat items like avocados. Adding a vitamin supplement for reassurance is fine. In evolutionary terms, we would not have survived as a species if our dietary needs were so precise as to require calculations; we can get by with a wide variety of intake patterns so long as those patterns are essentially healthy.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 12:00AM #4
solfeggio

While the vegetarian diet is a good one, the vegan diet is better.  I say this as a person who has followed a strict vegan diet for the past twenty years.  And yes, I know that vegans have to take B12 tablets.

Vegetarianism is obviously better than a meat diet, but vegetarians are still eating dairy products, which include high fat foods like cheese, butter, and whole milk.  And we are all well aware of the fact that cow's milk is formulated for baby calves - and not for humans.  As well, milk is a food for infants and not adults.

The vegan diet is best because it does not include any animal fats at all, and no unnatural foods like dairy.  Although vegans can and do consume margarine, they really shouldn't, because this is not a healthy food, either, and should not be a part of anyone's diet, vegetarian or otherwise. 

This means that a strict vegan will not eat baked goods made with margarine.

A really healthy diet should include mostly nuts, seeds, leaves, stems, vegetables, and fruits like tomatoes, cucumbers, apples, oranges, blueberries, blackberries, kiwifruit, grapes, avocado, almonds, walnuts, flax seeds, etc.

The idea is to try as far as possible to eat a 'natural' diet such as our frugivorous ancestors might have eaten. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 23, 2009 - 12:08PM #5
Heretic_for_Christ

I agree that a vegan diet is best -- but NOT because Ook the caveman was a vegan (at best, a questionable assumption) or because our closest animal kin, gorillas, are vegan or near-vegan, so far as we know about these elusive creatures.

I find this appeal to evolution pointless, for it falsely implies that evolution stopped for humanity at some point in prehistoric times. As our environment changes, we adapt in terms of anatomic structure and physiologic function. Our environment has changed since Ook's day, and it is therefore likely that we have physically changed in subtle ways, as well. In short, what was good for Ook then is not necessarily good for people now.

I have the same objection to citing animal behavior. Gorillas in the wild are not human beings in civilization. Even if someone were to say, "I'm going to go live naked in the jungle, with no supplies or tools, just like gorillas do," what is good for gorillas is not necessarily good for that person. Basic principle: Extrapolating from one species to another is always a hazardous enterprise.

To repeat -- I agree that a vegan diet is best. But the basis for saying so has nothing to do with Ook or gorillas. The basis is a growing bank of clinical data comparing the health effects of various diets.  

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 25, 2011 - 2:35PM #6
christine3
Hi Folks!

I was recently making peach jam and came across a recipe for peach seed nuts and peel jam.  It said to save your peels and peach seed nuts to make a great tasting jam.  I read further and came across an article about the myth about peach nuts being poisonous.  This led me further on, into uncharted dietary territory--at least for me!!  As it turns out, peach seed kernels (nuts) are fine to eat!  Below are two articles with interesting information about vitamin B17.  I didn't even know there was such a vitamin!

The first article is about Vitamin B17 found in apricot kernels, and the second article talks about the Hunza diet.  Apricot kernels are Hunza gold!  At the end I'll include a cookie recipe made of peach seed nuts.

www.anticancerinfo.co.uk/apricot_kernels...

www.alkalizeforhealth.net/Lhunzadiet2.ht...

Peach Seed Nut Cookies
(entered at the York Inter-State Fair, York Pa.)

1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup shortening

2 eggs

3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. soda mixed with 3 tbsp. flour
1/2 cup sour milk or buttermilk

dash of nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 cup peach seed nuts chopped fine
1/8 tsp salt

Cream sugar and shortening.  Beat in eggs.  Add the flour, soda + flour, and sour milk or buttermilk.  Add nutmeg, peach seeds and salt.  Drop by teaspoonful onto lightly greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees 12-15 minutes until light in color.  Let cookies mellow in tightly covered can for 1 week.  Yield 4-5 dozen.

Eva B. King., York Pa., York Inter-State Fair.
This recipe won a blue ribbon at the above-mentioned fair.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook