mountain_man

Mar 26, 2009 -- 5:01PM, trudging wrote:

coping skills...hah yeh right.

Step 1 tells me I can't cope...

Then learn.

Thats not coping, its just me obeying.

Learn to live instead of learn to obey.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2009 - 10:38PM #12
mikeincolorado

Ironically, many do learn to cope within the fellowship of AA. ;) I was in a meeeting last night where several people shared that experience

Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 1:40AM #13
trudging

Step 1 doesn't change for me, unless I take my will back.

Then it all becomes a lie and down I go.

For me its a design for living, not something I can pretend to do.

So I'll try my best to obey Gods will for my life. If it didn't work I wouldn't bother.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 8:34PM #14
mountain_man

Mar 27, 2009 -- 1:40AM, trudging wrote:

So I'll try my best to obey Gods will for my life. If it didn't work I wouldn't bother.

I would. I would always make the choice to live life. I do not need a god to give my life meaning.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 1:24AM #15
trudging

I'd be agreein with ya if I had the choice, its either God or I'm gone insane.

Thats how it is for some of us. Its a beautiful thing.

Its similar to a deadly dangerous idea,

ever hear of Cantor, Boltzman, Godel, Turing?

they all held the same dangerous idea, that they could play math with the infinite, touch God with equations. Cantor started it and died insane in an asylum, Boltzman carried on his work and hung himself, Godel starved himself to death and Turing ate a cyanide laced apple.

They were all brilliant.

Alkies, whether they admit it or not are caught up in the same spiral and theres only one way out that I ever found.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2009 - 2:12PM #16
mountain_man

Mar 28, 2009 -- 1:24AM, trudging wrote:

I'd be agreein with ya if I had the choice, its either God or I'm gone insane.

Why do you make that choice?

They were all brilliant.

Alkies, whether they admit it or not are caught up in the same spiral and theres only one way out that I ever found.

Relying upon a mythical god to keep yourself sober is not a brilliant idea.

You got that right; the ONLY way out is to make the decision to NEVER use again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 4:25PM #17
trudging

Alcoholics have lost the power of choice, its a medical fact.

If alkies could choose to just not drink....they wouldn't be alcoholic would they ?,

that is obvious to the rest of the world... except for untreated alcoholics.

God has not only kept me sober but sane for over 10 yrs now, I quit drinking on my own for 5 yrs once and that was the most insane 5 yrs I've lived.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 5:40PM #18
mountain_man

Mar 30, 2009 -- 4:25PM, trudging wrote:

Alcoholics have lost the power of choice, its a medical fact.

That is NOT a medical fact but something made up by AA.

If alkies could choose to just not drink....they wouldn't be alcoholic would they ?,

that is obvious to the rest of the world... except for untreated alcoholics.

The only way anyone ever ends an addiction is by making the decision to not use.

...God .....

I could not care less about gods.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2009 - 7:48PM #19
trudging

Well find something that works for YOU,

its perfectly ok not to believe in God, I'm very certain I wouldn't believe in your God either.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2009 - 12:40AM #20
mountain_man

Mar 30, 2009 -- 7:48PM, trudging wrote:

Well find something that works for YOU,

If only AA had that attitude people would not be being forced into a religious program; they'd be allowed to find what works for them

its perfectly ok not to believe in God, I'm very certain I wouldn't believe in your God either.

I have no god, no higher power, no superstitions.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook