Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Effects of Fad Diet
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 8:45AM #11
IreneAdler

hortonthrockmorton wrote:

Every 'quick weight loss' diet I've ever seen is some variation of (a) extreme calorie reduction diet (cabbage soup) or (b) low carb diet inducing ketosis (Atkins).

Statistically, neither tend to be successful in the long run.

Amen!

What one does to lose the weight, one must continue to do to keep the pounds off. Otherwise the weight comes back.  So if consuming cabbage soup isn't palatable, then don't do it- or learn to enjoy it as part of one's daily menu.

IRene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 12:10AM #12
Shihulud
Atkins is a fad diet. It gave my father-in-law numerous strokes and heart attacks, as well as kidney failure. I've never known one person who kept weight off. Most have gained it all back and then some. If it was the perfect diet some claim it to be, than everyone would be thin.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:42PM #13
ManzanitaBear

Shihulud wrote:

Atkins is a fad diet. It gave my father-in-law numerous strokes and heart attacks, as well as kidney failure. I've never known one person who kept weight off. Most have gained it all back and then some. If it was the perfect diet some claim it to be, than everyone would be thin.

And Dr. Atkins himself died of a heart attack.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2009 - 7:46PM #14
ManzanitaBear

IreneAdler wrote:

Well, here's a start:

WebMD commentary (not very in-depth):

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

A review of the book/eating plan (quite a good read actually- just  ignore the "ultimate fat burner" site name):

http://diets.ultimatefatburner.com/revi … lood-type/

Scientific article on evolution of ABO blood type:
(you'll need to hit the download button to get the article to load)

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/14/4/399

Irene.

Thanks for the links!

I have trouble reading the last one, because I just can't make sense of long scientific articles.  They make me feel lost and put me to sleep.  But I get the gist, that if there's any evolutionary advantage to the different blood antigens or lack thereof, it has to do with resistance to disease, not diet.  And, like one of the other articles points out, agriculture is too recent a development, even if we consider it as having started at the earliest possible date, to have had any noticeable effect on human evolution.

Puts it into perspective how long evolution really takes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 8:55PM #15
Xena4Christ

ManzanitaBear wrote:

His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma.
On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkins … sdeath.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 10, 2009 - 8:55PM #16
Xena4Christ

ManzanitaBear wrote:

His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma.
On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain.

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkins … sdeath.htm

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 14, 2009 - 10:17PM #17
tim_from_pa
I see a lot here about diets and realization regarding fad diets.  And I assume that everyone wants to be healthy.  But one thing I do not see is people being guided by the foods promoted by the bible.  If it's Kosher, than it's OK to eat. I will make an exception if a person has an alergy to that food, but usually its not all the foods the bible promotes.

let's take a few examples:

I go to the doctor and they say my BP is a little high ( I get nervous there).  Are you watching your sodium? they ask.  I reply: "Oh yes!  Like any vital nutrient, I make sure I get plenty!" Rest assured that is not the BP problem, but they assume it is. That gets raised eyebrows. (At home here my BP the other day was 110/65--- not bad for almost a 50-year-old and I make sure I get lots of salt).

How about saturated fats?  you need them. Low fat is not always healthy. fat soluble vitamins need fat.

I like to take vitamins.  However, vitamin D is one overlooked vitamin that most people lack.  I can take it orally which I do, but the best way is to manufacture your own.  The way to do that is to make sure that you have two vital ingredients:

Cholesterol and sunlight. I make sure I get lots of both.  I'm dead serious. Is this what you hear today? I thought not.  Lots of bad doctrine (both scriptural and scientific) out there today. But I choose to think for myself and come to my own conclusions. If the masses promote something, then it's probably in error, but everyone and their brother gets caught up in this diet and nutrition nonsense, and it's just that: nonsense.  Just do the OPPOSITE of what they recommend and you will probably stay healthy.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 14, 2009 - 1:45AM #18
Shihulud

Feb 10, 2009 -- 8:55PM, Xena4Christ wrote:

ManzanitaBear wrote:

His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma. On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkins … sdeath.htm

Actually, his cause of death is undetermined: http://www.snopes.com/medical/doctor/atkins.asp

Dr. Atkins was obese at the time of his death, and has had previous congestive heart failure and hypertension.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2009 - 1:13PM #19
Bawalker

The reason why fad diest exist is because the one true diet of "Eat Less, Move More" takes so long and requires a lot of effort.

However, over the last 4 years, I have gone from 270 to 201 in spurts.  For three of those years I stopped watching what I ate completely and gained less than five pounds back.  It takes a real lifestyle change and a commitment, but it's absolutely worth it because the change is amazing.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2009 - 10:19AM #20
Housecall

It hard to lose weight in this world, unless you have the knowledge of your environment. It all about mass production, money. so people is gonna go out their way to get money, even though if it effect others. Like for an example. FDA approved Growth hormones in cattles and that's causing rapid growth and obesity in people. and putting yeast in our foods that causes our body to blow up even more, that's why we can't consume sugar like we want to is because yeast feeds off of sugar. Bad cooking oils causes poor health and the good and natural oils like extra virgin olive oil, grapeseed oil, palm oil, and etc.. are so expensive. Pork,shellfish,and catfish is an unclean meat. it full of toxins so that our bodies doesn't work and developed at it best.

You really doesn't need will-power. all you need is brain-power to lose weight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook