Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Effects of Fad Diet
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 2:33AM #1
lenorehoweteo
So the question here is: How do the diets for quick weight loss work? In fact, if you take these dieting plans, you are trying to lose weight by losing your body water. This cannot really help since your weight will go up again after you drink some water. You should understanding that you are trying to get rid of the fat but not the water in your body. As a result, you should avoid trying such dieting plans for quick weight loss.

As mentioned, a good diet will require you to spend some time until you can see the effect of it. You should stick to the idea of losing not more than two pounds a week. Anything more than that can have adverse effects on your health. This is also help to ensure that you are getting rid of the fat but not your body water or muscle mass.

A larger muscle mass can lead to a higher metabolic rate and as a result less fat will be accumulated in your body. However, if you try the quick weight loss diet you lose your muscle mass. As a result the food you take will be stored as fat easily. To this end you should understand that this kind of diet does not help.

There is nothing wrong when you want to lose some extra weight. However, you have to use the right method to do so. If you are going for the idea of dieting, you should stick to good diets and stay away from bad diets otherwise you will only find that you cannot really lose weight.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 2:52PM #2
IreneAdler
Ya know something, I 've found that some folks cannot even tell if a diet plan is a fad diet or a healthful eating plan.  They are that clueless regarding proper nutrition.  IF a diet is touted by anyone with a Ph.D., then they believe it is a healthy approach to eating.  Kinda sad.

I've had folks- total strangers- insist I ought to follow the "Eat Right for Your Blood Type"  diet as they feel it would help me to drop pounds.  Yet, it is based on very shaky science.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 4:48PM #3
ManzanitaBear

IreneAdler wrote:

I've had folks- total strangers- insist I ought to follow the "Eat Right for Your Blood Type"  diet as they feel it would help me to drop pounds.  Yet, it is based on very shaky science.

Irene.

I am SO glad to hear someone debunk it!  Everyone I know who thinks about nutrition at all, seems to think "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" is the absolute truth.  If that were true, I couldn't be a vegetarian with my type O blood.  I've had people try to persuade me to eat meat with that book.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 5:38PM #4
IreneAdler

ManzanitaBear wrote:

Everyone I know who thinks about nutrition at all, seems to think "Eat Right for Your Blood Type" is the absolute truth.

Oh, good gravy!  Say it ain't so!

**Irene goes screaming into the night.**

While I do have a degree in biochemistry, and some understanding of nutrition, I would really suggest consulting a registered dietitian for a healthy eating plan. And I'm betting blood type would not be part of that consult. And, a sensible vegetarian menu would be praised.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 5:43PM #5
Xena4Christ
Lenore, I understand where you're coming from, but when one grows up with 'a weight problem' due to genetics.....stress....  God knows what,  shouldn't  she  (or he)  always be alert for new information?  I read everything I can on the subject.  When I'm standing in line at the grocery store I'll peruse magazines to see what they have to say on the subject.

Yes, "fad" diets are a  dime a dozen.  (Do you remember the cabbage soup diet from long ago?  Yech!).    Now, about 7 years ago I tried the Atkins diet and it worked  (it really did) and not to sound redundant, but it's simply because carbs are burned first and then fat is burned so if you don't have the carbs there, it burns the fat.  Back then, it took me from the 150's to the 130's where I've "maintained" or at least hovered. 

But here's the problem:   I'm not satisfied with my shape.  One lady I work for said, "Well, that's just your body type...that's how you're suppose to be shaped".   I don't buy that and so as I usually do, I don't give up but  keep on searching.    I'm reading a book that I discovered on our best seller list:  "The Flat-belly Diet"  (you may have seen a post I did on it sometime earlier) and they talk about how when you lose weight do you notice how you lose it in your face and breasts first and then finally you'll lose it in the tummy and thighs?   I'm thinking:  Yes, I'm shaped like a fig newton  guy and I'm tired of it, dammit.   

Well, I haven't finished the book yet, but I'm eager to incorporate it into my life.   And remember what you said about losing the water weight?  Well, you're exactly right because the author suggests that for four days you do a 'jumpstart' diet, and yes, you will lose 7 lbs of water weight right off the bat.  She gives the menu for the specific anti-bloat of air and water for four days.   Then you begin the 'diet'. 

I've scanned through the diet plan itself, and honestly, it's some very healthy eating.  They give a bunch of breakfast, lunch, snack, and dinner options and they're like what anyone trying to lose weight would eat (fruits, veggies, whole grains, ect  ) the only difference that I can see that they try to incorporate monusaturated fatty acids in each meal because for some reason that helps target that build-up around the belly.  When I read "dark chocolate" it threw me,  but that along with avocodoes, nuts & seeds, and olive oil....certain specific things helps you lose all over.   

I use to say, if I could just manage my body like a tube of toothpaste, I could squeeze the fat down to the area below my knees where I could quite easily work it off.  (people say I have bird legs).  My legs are muscular, probably because I walk every day (and it seems like I never stop working), but my thighs are terrible. 

I don't mean to go on and on about it, but I'm just saying, if you have a problem, do you give up or do you diligently keep searching until you find the solution?
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 5:51PM #6
IreneAdler
Looked into body sculpting ?

It can do an awful lot to improve a body's appearance.

Course, that is in addition to, not in place of, modest calorie reduction and careful monitoring of carb intake.   

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 6:34PM #7
Xena4Christ
Well, every morning I do certain exercises that pinpoint the lower abdominals.  I think the muscles are pushing the fat out further!!  *L* 

I know I shouldn't obsess about body image, but it's a domino effect, right?   You're not happy with your body image you get depressed, you get depressed and...well, we don't even want to GO there...
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2009 - 10:18PM #8
ManzanitaBear

IreneAdler wrote:

Oh, good gravy!  Say it ain't so!

**Irene goes screaming into the night.**

While I do have a degree in biochemistry, and some understanding of nutrition, I would really suggest consulting a registered dietitian for a healthy eating plan. And I'm betting blood type would not be part of that consult. And, a sensible vegetarian menu would be praised.

Irene.

Well, to be fair, I haven't been talking to registered dieticians.  And I do know plenty of people who are the sort to argue dogmatically over how this or that is the "best" way to take care of your body, to eat, etc.  The kind of mindset that diet gurus love to promote.

Do you know any good resources, online or in print, for debunking Eat Right for Your Type?  Sometimes it seems like my own common sense arguments aren't carrying enough weight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 7:50AM #9
IreneAdler
Well, here's a start:

WebMD commentary (not very in-depth):

http://www.webmd.com/diet/eat-right-for-your-type

A review of the book/eating plan (quite a good read actually- just  ignore the "ultimate fat burner" site name):

http://diets.ultimatefatburner.com/revi … lood-type/

Scientific article on evolution of ABO blood type:
(you'll need to hit the download button to get the article to load)

http://mbe.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/14/4/399

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2009 - 8:42AM #10
hortonthrockmorton

lenorehoweteo wrote:

So the question here is: How do the diets for quick weight loss work?

Every 'quick weight loss' diet I've ever seen is some variation of (a) extreme calorie reduction diet (cabbage soup) or (b) low carb diet inducing ketosis (Atkins).

Statistically, neither tend to be successful in the long run.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook