Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 12:04PM #1
elaine585
Hello everyone,
My cousin has had surgery for cancer and now she's going to have chemotherapy for 6 months. A friend told her it would be good if she did Reiki  before and during the treatment, but I have also read that Tai Chi is recommended. Do any of you have any experience in this kind of situation? What would be the different benefits of Reiki  and  tai chi? Perhaps she could do both?
I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2008 - 12:57PM #2
ManzanitaBear
No reason not to do both.

They are different things.  Tai chi is a martial art.  It's something your cousin would learn to do, and could do on her own when she'd learned enough.  "Doing" reiki would mean receiving reiki treatments (presumably, your cousin isn't a reiki practitioner!)

Both work with chi, life energy.  Both redirect the energies, move blockages, and, yes, help heal where healing is needed.  Even for healthy people, tai chi and/or reiki improves health.  For someone with a major illness, it helps the healing. 

I have some personal experience with both, and they compliment each other very well.  I've studied tai chi, intensely, for over a year (now doing it on my own, since I've moved and haven't yet found a new teacher I can work with).  I turned out to be incredibly sensitive to the chi--I would feel every change in my own energy, sometimes very intensely. 

Sometimes, the energy built up in ways that I had trouble handling--and then it was a very good thing that my teacher was also a reiki master.  He did some very brief reiki work on me that helped the energy settle and redirect.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2008 - 4:32PM #3
Wolfscout1
[QUOTE=elaine585;883508]Hello everyone,
My cousin has had surgery for cancer and now she's going to have chemotherapy for 6 months. A friend told her it would be good if she did Reiki  before and during the treatment, but I have also read that Tai Chi is recommended. Do any of you have any experience in this kind of situation? What would be the different benefits of Reiki  and  tai chi? Perhaps she could do both?
I would appreciate any opinions and suggestions.[/QUOTE]

I would recommend that you do both.  If there is no instructor available for either... there are good DVDs on Tai Chi available to start with.  Tai Chi isn't so complicated that one can't learn on their own.    Reiki is a healing modality that uses Chi as well, like ManzanitaBear said.  However, a Reiki Practitioner, or group even, can send Reiki Distantly to your cousin.  There is a Reiki Group on Bnet. I belong to two of them.

May your cousin receive the blessings of healing energy through prayer and thought.[COLOR="Purple"]@[/COLOR]
May All be comforted and spread healing to those they come in contact with through the sharing of Love and Joy.[COLOR="Purple"]@[/COLOR]

~ Wolf.
~ Larry  ~//~ Wolfscout.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 11, 2008 - 6:54AM #4
REIKI321
Same energy., same positive use of intention.

Same outcome.
  Both are about empowerment of self.in the present moment, where only now exists..
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2008 - 1:06PM #5
elaine585
Thank you for your replies. Thank you Wolf for your prayers.
I understand what you mean now. My cousin thought reiki was like yoga.
Perhaps the reiki will be more gentle if she is exhausted by the chemo,and the tai chi more invigorating if she doesn't feel too bad-   she could alternate them depending on how she feels.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2008 - 7:45PM #6
ManzanitaBear
Reiki is more like massage therapy, only the practitioner barely touches you.  They can direct the energies by holding their hands above your body or touching you lightly.

Tai chi would be more like yoga, in that they're both exercise--and gentle exercise at that.  It's a soft art--it's a very different sort of martial art, from, say, karate or jiu jitsu!  Most people do it more for exercise and health than for fighting.  To become a competent fighter using tai chi takes much more practice than with hard arts, but health benefits start happening right away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2008 - 7:45PM #7
ManzanitaBear
Reiki is more like massage therapy, only the practitioner barely touches you.  They can direct the energies by holding their hands above your body or touching you lightly.

Tai chi would be more like yoga, in that they're both exercise--and gentle exercise at that.  It's a soft art--it's a very different sort of martial art, from, say, karate or jiu jitsu!  Most people do it more for exercise and health than for fighting.  To become a competent fighter using tai chi takes much more practice than with hard arts, but health benefits start happening right away.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 6:46PM #8
DotNotInOz
Actually, I would suggest not only reiki but also Judith Lasater's restorative yoga postures if she finds the chemo exhausting or has unpleasant side effects.

Lasater's restorative yoga is incredible. Basically, it consists of using folded blankets, towels and other objects to support your body in various postures. You really don't do anything much but stay in the position for anywhere from about ten minutes to up to thirty cradled by the props. 

You can do an hour-long session of different poses or only a few, whatever you feel you need. I come out of only two or three poses oftentimes feeling energized and...well, uh...restored.

When I first was introduced to restorative yoga during a class, my reaction was, "Yeah, riiiiight. As if just lying here propped up by this stuff is going to be that relaxing." I soon had to admit how very wrong I was. The result of a mere 15 minutes in one pose was that I felt both energized and relaxed. Even some muscle aches and pains were largely relieved.

It's just unbelievably comforting, too.

Lasater's book, Relax and Renew, gives several programs for various needs and offers suggestions for modifying some poses if a person is pregnant or ill. It's readily available in large commercial bookstores and on Amazon.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 10:57PM #9
REIKI321
Indeed there is great value in each and all that your cousin applies her faith.
   Tai chi is wonderful exercise and connects you to source energy in a very interactive way.
  It commands your attention in the present moment to the presence and flow of chi,ki,pure positive energy, or Love.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2008 - 11:24PM #10
REIKI321
Reiki is typically administered, hands on by anyone who is concious of flowing healing love.   Not sympathy.  Love.@

A level two Reiki practitioner has the ability to send this healing energy anywhere without regard to perceived limitations of  time and space.
   There are many Reiki practitioners and Masters here on beliefnet that would be blessed by a request for distant Healing.

Without the intention to be whole, it would be up to the spirit of the recipiant to guide that energy to where healing is most needed.

In the absense of immediate permission i make it easy to divert the energy into the Earth, who can use all the love we can send her.@
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook