7 years ago  ::  May 14, 2008 - 11:05AM #1
ms_sara
Hi everybody.  Prior to electing a vegetarian diet at the first of the year I basically ate a good selection of whole grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy, and chicken.  It was easy to have a low calorie meal that was satisfying (grilled chicken breast, steamed veggies, and a glass of wine). 

Since becoming a vegetarian I've gained 5 pounds and am always hungry.  My meals aren't satisfying.

I have counted my calories and although they are not low (1,800 or so) they shouldn't be enough to gain weight either.  I'm eating whole grain, dairy, legumes, veggies, and some fruit. 

My husband has gained too since he began eating vegetarian even though he's eating less.

Did any of you have a problem with weight gain when taking meat out of your diet? 

How long before you stopped feeling like you hadn't eaten when you had?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 11:21AM #2
ronnewmexico
No problem. I'm sort of big but guess my body fat is relatively low.  I regularly include relatively high amounts of vegetarian protein in my diet.  Fake meats TVP  things of that nature with high protein content seem to satifsy when added to each meal.

Now I am pretty much vegan(no milk cheese eggs). And do not seem to find any fat vegans, though I guess it would be possible.

Now if one was substituting for lean meats, a more caloric intensive food such as a fatty cheese, it would be easy to gain weight.  Fat is the most caloric intensive food. If your cheese has a high fat content much more than your lean meat, a equal amount by volume will contain more calories. Protein generally has  less calories then a equal amount of fat. Some of it may have to do with actual caloric content and some may have to do with how easily or not so easily we digest the food.

But regardless of all that. Add some protein to your meals and you will probably feel more satisified. Check and make sure you are not eating to much fat in the form of cheeses or creames added to your meals as substitutes for meat.

Tofu may not be of high protein content, being more a a medium protein content food. But you may find reduced fat tofu that thusly has more proportional protein as opposed to fat content.

The fake lunch meats and fake meat rolls and such very many of them are very high protein. But watch for salt content in them if you are watching that.

If you live in area with not much access to those things you may order TVP on line or by mail. It tastes like cardboard but will assume the taste of what it is put in by absorbtion. So you may trick yourself by hydrating some putting it into various things and not even really know it is there. But it is very high protein content and thusly will satisfy when added.

For instance.....having a soup..... add some TVP. It will assume the taste of the soup and not be noticed yet protein content of the soup will be raised from low to medium or high. So you will feel more satisfied with little caloric increase

TVP+textured vegetable protein.

I use fake lunch meats and fake meat rolls regularly.

If say you are only having a juice breakfast for instance. Add a vegetarian protein supplement to the juice and you will be more satisified. Check however the content of that supplement. Many call themselves such but the content proves they are medium protein amounts and you get a lot of empty calories with sweetner and such. 

Rice and soy protein supplements may be found that are very high almost  exclusively protein. Many however are not.

Overall get used to reading labels. You may not know what you are getting. Whole grain bread for instance may be labled whole grain but if you check the ingredients you will find (they are listed by predominance in content) the whole grain may in fact be second or third on the content list.

As a aside one bread maker for years (probably still does) was adding wood pulp to their bread to qualify it as high fiber believe it or not.(celulous I think was the content marker)

Soem bread makers seem very astute at masking their contents. But that applies for any type of food. You must check the contents if it is processed in any manner at all(I doubt you are baking your own bread).   

Beans pretty high in protein but not as high as we may think.

So that's my advice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 18, 2008 - 11:21AM #3
ronnewmexico
No problem. I'm sort of big but guess my body fat is relatively low.  I regularly include relatively high amounts of vegetarian protein in my diet.  Fake meats TVP  things of that nature with high protein content seem to satifsy when added to each meal.

Now I am pretty much vegan(no milk cheese eggs). And do not seem to find any fat vegans, though I guess it would be possible.

Now if one was substituting for lean meats, a more caloric intensive food such as a fatty cheese, it would be easy to gain weight.  Fat is the most caloric intensive food. If your cheese has a high fat content much more than your lean meat, a equal amount by volume will contain more calories. Protein generally has  less calories then a equal amount of fat. Some of it may have to do with actual caloric content and some may have to do with how easily or not so easily we digest the food.

But regardless of all that. Add some protein to your meals and you will probably feel more satisified. Check and make sure you are not eating to much fat in the form of cheeses or creames added to your meals as substitutes for meat.

Tofu may not be of high protein content, being more a a medium protein content food. But you may find reduced fat tofu that thusly has more proportional protein as opposed to fat content.

The fake lunch meats and fake meat rolls and such very many of them are very high protein. But watch for salt content in them if you are watching that.

If you live in area with not much access to those things you may order TVP on line or by mail. It tastes like cardboard but will assume the taste of what it is put in by absorbtion. So you may trick yourself by hydrating some putting it into various things and not even really know it is there. But it is very high protein content and thusly will satisfy when added.

For instance.....having a soup..... add some TVP. It will assume the taste of the soup and not be noticed yet protein content of the soup will be raised from low to medium or high. So you will feel more satisfied with little caloric increase

TVP+textured vegetable protein.

I use fake lunch meats and fake meat rolls regularly.

If say you are only having a juice breakfast for instance. Add a vegetarian protein supplement to the juice and you will be more satisified. Check however the content of that supplement. Many call themselves such but the content proves they are medium protein amounts and you get a lot of empty calories with sweetner and such. 

Rice and soy protein supplements may be found that are very high almost  exclusively protein. Many however are not.

Overall get used to reading labels. You may not know what you are getting. Whole grain bread for instance may be labled whole grain but if you check the ingredients you will find (they are listed by predominance in content) the whole grain may in fact be second or third on the content list.

As a aside one bread maker for years (probably still does) was adding wood pulp to their bread to qualify it as high fiber believe it or not.(celulous I think was the content marker)

Soem bread makers seem very astute at masking their contents. But that applies for any type of food. You must check the contents if it is processed in any manner at all(I doubt you are baking your own bread).   

Beans pretty high in protein but not as high as we may think.

So that's my advice.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 21, 2008 - 4:26PM #4
ManzanitaBear
What's made the most difference for me is eating only whole grains.  Brown rice instead of white rice, and making sure that all the bread, pasta, crackers, etc. that I eat are 100% whole grain.  Carefully checking labels before I buy anything.

As soon as I started doing that (which I did at first as an experiment about 3 or 4 years ago), it felt miraculous.  Instead of suddenly crashing a few hours after a meal (which had happened all my life; I seem to have a form of hypoglycemia, and for me there was almost nothing in between Not Hungry and Absolutely Starving), it would take me much longer to get hungry again.  I learned for the first time what it was to be hungry but not compelled to Eat Something At Once Or Else.

I never had that happen even when I ate meat.  And I don't think it's all about the protein in whole grains.  I think there's something absolutely vital in them that I wasn't getting before I put them in my diet.

Now, I've found that it's better for me to skip the grain in a meal than to eat refined grains.

Sugar is also something to watch.  Especially first thing in the morning or on an empty stomach.  Eating anything with a significant amount of sugar is a great way to get hungry again quickly.  I find I react that way even if I eat salad with sugar in the dressing--and most commercial salad dressings are full of sugar.  I've started making my own.  I don't eat commercial breakfast cereal because not only is it made from refined flour (except shredded wheat), but even the healthy ones are full of sugar.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  May 22, 2008 - 10:44AM #5
Shihulud
Make sure you are eating enough fiber and not loading up on fat and sugar. Even vegetable fat can put on weight. If you are still eating dairy that can be the culprit too. Try to keep dairy or dairy substitutes to no more then 2-3 servings a day. Eat at least 5 fruits and veggies, and minimal amounts of oil and fat.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2008 - 5:49PM #6
Stardove
When I first stop eating all meat including fish I actually lost 10 pounds just from the change in diet.

As I got older and menopause kicked in I gained back the weight and added some more. I've lost 10 to 12 pounds from when I maxed out, but would still like to see another 10 come off. Guess it is the eternal struggle to get into one's jeans as we age. :eek:
Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The sun rises every morning and sheds light, vanquishing the night's darkness. The rooster also rises every morning only, unlike the sun, he simply makes noise. But the darkness of the night is dispelled by sunshine, not by the rooster's crowing.The world can use more light and less noise. Where I can, I want to be light.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jun 10, 2011 - 6:02AM #7
jeckysmith

Moringa tea provides all the nutrients to our body and moringa tea aids in weight loss. Ozone moringa tea helps to lose weight in healthy way. Moringa tea contains antioxidants which keep the body healthy and moringa tea comes in a different flavors.

Moderated by Merope on Jun 22, 2011 - 03:56AM
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook