Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Diabetes: 286 is Scary!!
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 5:55PM #1
conrad
286!  I was shocked, so much so I just sat in silence and looked at the meter's face.  I should have guessed it would be that high, given the chocolate milk shake on Saturday and all the sugar abuse I had piled into my body for the last two or three weeks.

Self-discipline is hard.  It is easier for me to control myself when  under the aura of some noble cause, or living for the sake of another.   But rationalizations abound and sway my will when I am living just for myself.E.g.:  "You are special and your body can overcome these indulgences" or, "You can always get really strict with yourself next week", or "Since these cookies are 'sugar free' the carbs in them don't count". 

I sometimes feel sorry for myself and think I deserve to indulge myself.  Or, I have really worked hard and deserve to have that ice cream bar.  Or, I am really tired and deserve . . . . Or, how can I watch a basketball game without . . . .

But 286 is really up there.   The range for blood sugar glucose in my system is 80-120; and now they are trying to convince me it really should have an upper limit of 100.  In my own mind I have negotiated 120 to be the goal.  After all, I signed up under that agreement six or seven years ago.

Since hitting 286, four days ago, I have daily registered 200, 208 and today, 184.  It is really difficult for me to sit down around 8:00 pm and watch Hardball, Countdown and David Letterman without something to snack on. [Don't get me started on fruit stuff.] 

It is hard.Not looking for sympathy.   I have many friends who struggle with addictions that appear to be even more severe; however, this one is mine.  And to me, it is just as hard as theirs. 

So you, my journal, are my accountability partner.  I may fail.  I may succeed.  Time will tell.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 6:38PM #2
giertruidis
You can't get healthy doing the same thing that made you unhealthy.

"to sit down around 8:00 pm and watch Hardball, Countdown and David Letterman without something to snack on."

Sit on an exercise bike?
Take up knitting to keep your hands busy?

Sometimes it is easier to make a big change in lifestyle then small changes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 8:43AM #3
IreneAdler
Instead of looking at this as an exercise in denial, can you substitute something else instead of the snacking- like giertuidis suggests?  Or, how about noshing on something low in carbs, such as raw veggies + a low-fat dip?  Or, can you re-arrange your eating regimen such that a scheduled meal coincides with your tv programs? 

Best to view eating regimen changes as positive things- as best you can. There’s not much to motivate permanent changes when you view such things as exercises in denial or the need to get “really strict” with oneself.

Can you reward yourself for your hard work with non-food treats- going to a movie, or purchasing a new CD or getting a  massage or embarking on an activity you enjoy?

And yes, this is indeed hard to do. So please, have patience with yourself.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 9:19AM #4
conrad
172!  After five days of struggling the blood sugar (BS) number is down 114.  Good trend but still a way to go.

No pain, no gain is a popular phrase among those in training for a sports event.   It is true in other areas of life as well.  Last night I fought off the temptations of a hot dog, or perhaps just a piece of sausage, or even a piece of "sugar free" candy.  It was hard.

I'm not seeking minor martyrdom, none of your praise, just making a statement that pain and suffering--at the least, self-denial--is necessary for growth.  Like the nascent butterfly emerging with great effort from the chrysallis, moving from one level of development to another is a real difficult step to take.

So here I am--five days of victory over rationalization, delusionary thinking and I know the battle is only just now engaged.  I have taken this hill before, only to fall back in defeat.

The promise that lies before me is better physical functioning; and, once I get to the top of the climb and raise a tent there, it will get easier.  Yes, the brownies look a little moldy, and the "sugar free" cookies are recognized as loaded with carbs.

So, press on friend.  At 67 you may not have the energy to resist this whirlpool much longer.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 4:46PM #5
VBallR
Well done Conrad!  I am glad to hear that you are making positive progress.  Keep it up!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 4:46PM #6
VBallR
Well done Conrad!  I am glad to hear that you are making positive progress.  Keep it up!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 11, 2008 - 7:17PM #7
melandisa123
Conrad, pls. share how you have lowered your blood glucose. Did you go on an exercise regime? What are you eating now? Are you on antiglycemic meds? It would really be helpful to share your gameplan for those suffering from hyperglycemia.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 8:00AM #8
conrad
Screwed up this wekend at a trip to Six flags.  BS is 184 today.

I have no esoteric plan to reduce BS other than eating with some restraint, staying away from eating between meals and exercising moderately each day.   I have been taking a form of glucophage but am not convinced of its effectiveness.

This week my goal is to drop to at least forty more points.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 8:25PM #9
conrad
thanks to those of you who have offered various techniques for  lowering BS.   I have been diagnosed Type 2, Diabetic for around ten years, so when my sugar climbs up high, in my experience, it is due to my undisciplined eating patterns and my neglecting an exercise regimen.

Today I did not eat my usual sausage biscuit, and I passed on lunch.   So when I sat down to supper (chinese stir fry) I was pleased to read 113 on the meter.   [I know, my nutritionist goes ape when I fast as a means of reducing sugar, but it works for me and those who are members of my tribe]. 

Now the task is to keep the numbers in this neighborhood.  I will check BS a couple of times a day and see how it comes out.

Conrad
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 15, 2008 - 8:18AM #10
melandisa123
Kudos for you on your motivation for keeping your diabetes under control!
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook