Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Religious Christian Vegetarians?
7 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2008 - 10:15PM #1
Weeping_Willow1526
Hey everyone! I am just wondering if there are any *religious* Christian Vegetarians here?
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Apr 20, 2008 - 5:35PM #2
ManzanitaBear
Do you mean people who just happen to be both vegetarian and Christian?  Or Christians who have religious reasons (whether their churches' mandates or their own reasoning) for being vegetarian?  And how are you defining religious?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2008 - 5:36PM #3
kismit
Well, I'm a Christian and a vegetarian...

:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 21, 2008 - 5:08PM #4
Imani
[QUOTE=Weeping_Willow1526;393564]Hey everyone! I am just wondering if there are any *religious* Christian Vegetarians here?[/QUOTE]

To be clear in the beginning, I'm not a Christian, but a Muslimah. I'm sorry if I don't belong here, but I'm really interested in this post, mostly because: *Why* do you ask your question about Christian vegetarians? Are you a religious Christian vegetarian? Are you finding it difficult?

I am a religious Muslimah and a vegetarian and I sometimes find it very difficult to reconcile the two.  I was wondering if you were a religious Christian vegetarian who was perhaps going through something similar?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2008 - 8:29PM #5
kismit
Hi, Imani.  Sure, you belong here!

I don't have a problem reconciling my faith and being a vegetarian because I stopped eating meat when I was really young and I did it because it seemed gross to me.  Just the thought of eating flesh off of an animal was just too much for me.  It's not a decision I made because of my faith.  In my world, they don't mix nor do they conflict.  It's easy. 

But that's just me.  I'm weird.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 28, 2008 - 2:10AM #6
hmstrwheel
Of course you belong here, Imani.  I love your hijabi smiley face icon, by the way.  :)

Why do you find it difficult to reconcile being both a Muslima and a vegetarian, if I might ask?  Is it because halal meat is just that, allowable?  If something is allowable (as opposed to required), doesn't  that mean that you can do it but you don't have to do it?  I'm asking because I'm curious as to your dilemma.

For the record, I was told by a Christian that I'm a "bad" Christian for not eating meat because God says (as aforementioned by John Doe), "Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you; and as I have given you the green plants, I give you everything".   For my own part, I didn't care since I'm not Christian in the first place and I don't really care about whether I qualify as a "good" one or a "bad" one in his eyes!  :p

But my own opinion is that just because God said it's ok to eat animals doesn't mean that God requires us to eat animals.  Personally I try to live by a "do no harm" rule (technically impossible but a nice ideal to strive toward I believe).  Hence, I don't eat animals because it harms them.  I can't imagine any Creator would be upset with me that I don't like killing his creations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 03, 2008 - 5:47PM #7
solfeggio
I don't think that diet has anything to do with religion.  People usually become vegetarians for health reasons and, since the bible was written thousands of years ago by Jews who followed their own dietary rules, this ancient text cannot really be considered to be an authority on what people should eat to remain healthy. 

On the other hand, there does seem to be some evidence that Jesus may have been a member of the Essenes, which were thought to avoid the eating of meat.  It's pretty sketchy, but it's worth looking into.  And, it is a fact that Jesus is not reported as having eating meat.

http://www.essenespirit.com/jesus.html

However, you have to be careful when reading the bible and you see that word, "meat," because it had different connotations in earlier centuries than it does now.  "Meat" could have simply meant "food."

Eating "lean" meat and fish for health is all right, I suppose, but you could get the same nutritional benefits from beans and rice, if you come right down to it.

BTW: No meat is truly "lean" because all animal flesh contains at least some saturated fat.

And you want to be careful about fish, because so much of it is tainted by toxic wastes in the ocean.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2008 - 7:00PM #8
georgiapossum
hi weeping willow, i have been christian for long time but only vegetarian this year  (after much pondering over issue). made my choice to become veg after witnessing firsthand animal/poultry cruelty at processing plants during some work i was  involved in, so not because of religious reasons. i find it easy to marry veg into my christianity tho purely because of gods compassion towards animals and wanting to follow in his footsteps, i certainly dont judge others as we are all given a particular path to follow and our responsibility is to follow that god given path and man oh man, our god has so many gobsmacking awesome facets to his personality!  would love to hear your views, have blest week, georgiapossum
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Sep 12, 2008 - 7:00PM #9
georgiapossum
hi weeping willow, i have been christian for long time but only vegetarian this year  (after much pondering over issue). made my choice to become veg after witnessing firsthand animal/poultry cruelty at processing plants during some work i was  involved in, so not because of religious reasons. i find it easy to marry veg into my christianity tho purely because of gods compassion towards animals and wanting to follow in his footsteps, i certainly dont judge others as we are all given a particular path to follow and our responsibility is to follow that god given path and man oh man, our god has so many gobsmacking awesome facets to his personality!  would love to hear your views, have blest week, georgiapossum
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 1:50PM #10
nuitprincess
[QUOTE=Weeping_Willow1526;393564]Hey everyone! I am just wondering if there are any *religious* Christian Vegetarians here?[/QUOTE]

i was born wif hpv     
so teenage life was a lot of colds

i'm mormon now mi mama est ?   (ina hispanic homeschooling network)  witch affiliates   still mormon its a flower child thing (pagan babies)

any who i love this talk i am  the ..... .... .... ... of L. d friggen s     i think they do that just to bug us
in d and c you can do anything as long as you eat meat  for almost 2 months  out of year preferably at yule tide

any way i love both sides cuz my adult lesson was  that i deserved no colds

merry hallowed eve     i forgot faire the well?   random: pregnant found tact lost verbal skills
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook