Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Religious Christian Vegetarians?
6 years ago  ::  Oct 09, 2008 - 2:41PM #11
Chiyo
Books that address both vegetarianism and animal rights within the context of Christian Scriptures and theology;

LINK

LINK
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2008 - 1:15PM #12
nuitprincess
[QUOTE=ManzanitaBear;447416]Do you mean people who just happen to be both vegetarian and Christian?  Or Christians who have religious reasons (whether their churches' mandates or their own reasoning) for being vegetarian?  And how are you defining religious?[/QUOTE]

probably lite r than rez
QUOTE=ManzanitaBear;447416]Do you mean people who just happen to be both vegetarian and Christian?  Or Christians who have religious reasons (whether their churches' mandates or their own reasoning) for being vegetarian?  And how are you defining religious?[/QUOTE]

the death of 4.6 chat groups

probably lite r than rez
QUOTE=ManzanitaBear;447416]Do you mean people who just happen to be both vegetarian and Christian?  Or Christians who have religious reasons (whether their churches' mandates or their own reasoning) for being vegetarian?  And how are you defining religious?[/QUOTE]

wanting to hear an answer to prayers for you:
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 23, 2008 - 12:52PM #13
nuitprincess
[QUOTE=Imani;639551]To be clear in the beginning, I'm not a Christian, but a Muslimah. I'm sorry if I don't belong here, but I'm really interested in this post, mostly because: *Why* do you ask your question about Christian vegetarians? Are you a religious Christian vegetarian? Are you finding it difficult?

I am a religious Muslimah and a vegetarian and I sometimes find it very difficult to reconcile the two.  I was wondering if you were a religious Christian vegetarian who was perhaps going through something similar?[/QUOTE]

easily worked up around water

hi i'm mormon i'm glad your here:)

QUOTE=Imani;639551]To be clear in the beginning, I'm not a Christian, but a Muslimah. I'm sorry if I don't belong here, but I'm really interested in this post, mostly because: *Why* do you ask your question about Christian vegetarians? Are you a religious Christian vegetarian? Are you finding it difficult?

I am a religious Muslimah and a vegetarian and I sometimes find it very difficult to reconcile the two.  I was wondering if you were a religious Christian vegetarian who was perhaps going through something similar?[/QUOTE]

easily worked up around water

hi i'm mormon i'm glad your here:)
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 11:42AM #14
Mamakat

Hello there! Smile I'm new, both to this forum and to being a vegetarian (joined the forum about 10 minutes ago; been a vegetarian a little over a week now).  I am what I guess you'd call a "religious Christian," if I understand correctly that by that, you mean one who actively practices their faith and has a relationship with Jesus Christ. I wanted to add in my thoughts here.  I've read (on other, secular forums) about how vegetarians often have a really hard time when dealing with people who don't understand their lifestyle. So far, I haven't encountered that yet, but I'm sure I will.  I chose to switch to a veg diet simply for health reasons.  Unlike many (most?) of the other vegetarians I've encountered so far, I don't see anything intrinsically wrong with eating meat, or not.  To me, and in my opinion, it's a dietary/health choice.  If others choose to eat meat, fine; if folks choose not to, also fine. For me, personally, I'm in the process of developing a healthier lifestyle, and felt that this was the best route to go, for me.  It's much easier for me to say no to a double-cheeseburger, if I know that meat is not on my menu anymore, LOL! And it's not just meat; I'm cutting out most junk foods and striving only to eat healthy stuff.  I have the occaisional treat (chips or popcorn or a cupcake) but in just this short time, I can feel a definite difference in how I feel when I eat something not good for me.  But I'm digressing a bit, sorry, lol.  Anyway, so far I haven't encountered any difficulties, but like I said, I'm sure I will. I plan on just letting them know that this is my choice for better health - and then if they don't like it, well, too bad, lol. ;)  It will be interesting to see what happens, for sure.

Best wishes to you! :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2009 - 1:58PM #15
Heretic_for_Christ

Dietary choices may or may not reflect religious sensibilities for different people, and I see no particular conflict between religious sensibilities and scientific-clinical data about the health effects of a meat-based versus plant-based diet.

However, for those who accept Genesis as a literal account and who fear doing anything unless they can find scriptural support for it, consider that the very first commandment given by God was that the green plants would be our food. It is not until after the fall from Eden and the survival of the flood that we are given permission--not instructions--to eat animal flesh (Genesis 9). But if we take the notion of Eden seriously, it was God's intent that we should be vegans. And in that case, what is more appropriate--that we eat by killing, as if celebrating our own fall from grace, or that we eat without killing, as if showing our desire to return to a state of grace?

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 27, 2009 - 4:46AM #16
nnn123

Trappist monks have traditionally been vegetarians...

and I believe a number of different monastic orders over the centuries...have also been vegetarians.

I am pretty sure that the ancient Essenes (a Jewish sect) were vegetarians (they preceeded Christianity).

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook