Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Anxiety and spirituality
6 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2008 - 12:01PM #1
anniemariejames
I have anxiety - I've never been diagnosed, but I know I have it. I am wonder if anyone ever has improved with their anxiety through spirituality (praying, seeking help from God etc.). I am looking for ways to ease my anxiety - I've actually tried meditating on www.myinnerworld.com, which seems to have been a good first step. I would love to hear any stories of how spirituality has helped remedy anxiety. I don't think I want to opt for medication just yet. Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 8:19AM #2
Karma_yeshe_dorje
anniemariejames:

[QUOTE]I have anxiety - I've never been diagnosed[/QUOTE]Disclose your psychological symptoms to a health care practitioner!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2008 - 1:01PM #3
boodlebear
[QUOTE=Karma_Yeshe_Dorje;386970]anniemariejames:

Disclose your psychological symptoms to a health care practitioner![/QUOTE]

I agree, Karma. As you posted at another site exercise can help relieve symptoms, I imagine it's all the endorphines. A trained practitioner is one's best bet.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 7:19AM #4
Karma_yeshe_dorje
boodlebear:

[QUOTE]A trained practitioner is one's best bet.[/QUOTE]Here the gap between onset of anxiety symptoms, and diagnosis & treatment, is typically [COLOR="Red"]decades[/COLOR]!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2008 - 9:36AM #5
boodlebear
Better late than never. Treatment is treatment. I'd rather deal with issues now than spending forever trying to figure out why.  My having certain aversions to things will not be better served knowing why. I want to know how to deal with "it" now. I am braced for your picking this apart and quoting Wikipedia like fundamentalists quote the bible. :rolleyes::)
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2008 - 4:00PM #6
Karma_yeshe_dorje
Hello boodlebear:

[QUOTE]I'd rather deal with issues now[/QUOTE]Behaviour therapy for anxiety is confronting!

[QUOTE]My having certain aversions to things[/QUOTE]Disclose your [COLOR="Red"]specific phobia[/COLOR] to a health care practitioner!

[QUOTE]how to deal with "it"[/QUOTE]Exposure with response prevention (E/RP). Please consult a psychologist!

[QUOTE]I am braced[/QUOTE]Loosen up: get a massage!

[QUOTE]your picking this apart and quoting Wikipedia[/QUOTE]You are [COLOR="Red"]dictating[/COLOR] to me what to do! A [COLOR="red"]controlling[/COLOR] nature is part of anxiety.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2008 - 3:33PM #7
boodlebear
Nah, I'm just teasing you. But, I will stop.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 1:21AM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
boodlebear:[QUOTE]I'm just teasing you.[/QUOTE]I (standing) have a nervous temperament (worsened by work stress).

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 6:53AM #9
boodlebear
Thank you for explainng.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2008 - 7:52AM #10
delmarvamom
Prayer is not going to cure anxiety. It can help in that you take the time to quiet your mind, slow your breathing. Also, if prayer truly gives you a sense of comfort and ability to handle things, of course, it will help.

For me, anxiety was bigger than me and any tricks. It was not debilitating, but definitely hurt my quality of life. I am on antidepressants and it made all the difference. Now the "tricks" really work and I can have a true spiritual life because my mind is calm and I feel like the person I am supposed to be.

The things that help:

sleep
exercise
breathing exercises
a balance of quiet time and time with others
less caffeine and sugar
prayer
Challenging your thoughts. Try the book "Feeling Good"
Be aware of your self talk.
If you are a perfectionist, get a book on that. Gotta let that go. Not easy, but worth it.
Therapy can help. EMDR is an interesting technique. Therapists can teach relaxation.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook