Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Mental Health Worker looking for ideas
6 years ago  ::  Jan 12, 2009 - 3:22AM #1
Canustiberius
Hello, I work at a mental hospital in an adolescent inpatient setting.  I have recently been given the responsibility of running group therapy sessions and, while I have plenty of group ideas that have been given to me to use by co-workers, I am looking for some new ideas to incorporate.  Any suggestions would be great.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 2:44PM #2
atlantis
[QUOTE=Canustiberius;1013221]Hello, I work at a mental hospital in an adolescent inpatient setting.  I have recently been given the responsibility of running group therapy sessions and, while I have plenty of group ideas that have been given to me to use by co-workers, I am looking for some new ideas to incorporate.  Any suggestions would be great.[/QUOTE]

Dear Canustiberius,

My first heart instinct tells me that your best efforts will be met with resistance. Building trust is a very slow process. Is there some way that you can incorporate sports, art, music and journal writing into you therapy sessions? Tap into their private lives and stories without them feeling vulnerable. Check out the movie "Freedom Writers". It's awesome.

Every adolescent  in your care is hurting and looking for love, compassion and someone they can unconditionally depend on. It's probably what's  been missing from their lives since childhood. You have a chance to make a difference, otherwise you wouldn't have chosen this profession.

Ideas are great. But letting yourself sink into the minds and souls of those kids is where you'll find the answers. Open your soul and let them teach you what they need. Only then will you touch their hearts and they will begin to heal.

Blessings,

Karen
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 5:47PM #3
HyHym
There is no way to talk about mental health unless you know what is written in the Bible.
We know that abuse, starvation, war, neglect and sex are the major cause for mental illness.
The only common deviding factor each individual has suffered is lost.   This lost is making the individual seek something that produces the chemicals necessary to absorbs life's up and downs.
The Bible says that you can not know truth until you know personal experience.
So a What Did You Loose class is a topic that will start with small things in individual minds that created a chemical changes.
Each individual will tell of something they have lost, Did you find what you lost?  Memory brings the mind certain episodes and with that comes some type of feeling also contributing to a lost in natural chemical reproduction preventing mental illness.
The more things each individual recalls being lost the more information the brain has to resolve certain situations that were of little significants. The answers that come from what was lost become's  the source of nurishment needed to restore a natural chemicals inbalance.that started long before hospitalization occured.
The same can stem from what did you do or take?

Hym King
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 5:51PM #4
belinda20
I once taught a group of girls 10 to 13 years old we did this exercise.
There was 10 girls and we all sat in a circle and I asked each one to think about if they could be anything or anyone  what would it be. I then asked them to write it down and put down why they wanted to be that or that person. After they wrote down there answers  we all shared including me. The exercise shows what there fears are. For an example; Lets say I chose a tiger, and reason why is because tiger are strong and fast so they  don't usually get picked on. That opens a discussion up about why do they want to be strong  and why do they feel they are not. I f they chose a person we discussed the same thing. The girls all liked the discussion because it was fun to come up with who they would want to be. Lets face it we all sometime or another in our life time wished we were someone else. Oh I almost forgot we made masks of the character as well, before the discussion.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 16, 2009 - 8:37PM #5
swinter5
This is just a suggestion, but having been in group therapies, both in and out of a hospital setting, I found that when you assign someone a role to play - mother, sister, brother, best friend, etc. - and their inner relationship with this person (of course, you have to have another person to represent the role), they can show anger, empathy, love, aggression - anything they CAN'T show to the person they have the conflict with.

It takes a little getting used to, but I found it to be liberating, in that I could say ANYTHING to the other "player" without expecting a rote reaction.  Just a suggestion : )
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 8:33AM #6
Kisbore
You know I was recently diagnosed with hypoglycemia (quite severe) and before that diagnosis, spent 20 days in two seperate facilities and I went to some groups because I was forced into it and they were really quite lame ... Look at each individual (I mean REALLY look) and be SURE that they really need to be there !!!  I didn't and nobody found that out except me ... misdiagnosis is a drag !!  I was tagged as severely depressed, suicidal and highly anxious ... All the luck in the world and remember me !!!  ; )
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 8:37AM #7
Kisbore
Let me know if you got my previous post, K ?? -- Thanx !! ; )
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 12:44PM #8
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Canustiberius:

[QUOTE] I work at a mental hospital in an adolescent inpatient[/QUOTE]What training do you have in adolescent psychology?

[QUOTE]running group therapy[/QUOTE]What are the facilities like?

[QUOTE]I have plenty of group ideas that have been given to me to use by co-workers, I am looking for some new ideas[/QUOTE]What do you dislike about your colleagues' suggestions?

atlantis:

[QUOTE]incorporate sports, art, music and journal[/QUOTE]I agree.

HyHym:

[QUOTE]There is no way to talk about mental health unless you know what is written in the Bible.[/QUOTE]My psychologist is Humanist; your claim is false.

[QUOTE]The Bible says that you can not know truth until you know personal experience.[/QUOTE]The ads say that you'll forever feel inadequate unless you buy cosmetics!

belinda20:

[QUOTE]I asked each one to think about if they could be anything or anyone[/QUOTE]Group problem solving is common in mental health support organisations.

swinter5:

[QUOTE]they CAN'T show to the person they have the conflict[/QUOTE]Find out what is dysfunctional in the situation that they came from.

G'day Kisbore:

[QUOTE]misdiagnosis is a drag[/QUOTE]Talk about the institutional run-around.:eek:
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 3:28PM #9
Storymaker
Canustiberius:
good luck with the new assignment. I have only the suggestion that we used in Laubach Literacy training: we started each session off with a song [my personal favorite: Hi, my name is O and I work in a button factory... something silly from my scouting days.] Teens will complain, but it gives them a break from the outside pressures and worries.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 17, 2009 - 11:19PM #10
Karma_yeshe_dorje
G'day Storymaker:

[QUOTE]started each session off with a song[/QUOTE]Psychodrama is worth a try.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook