Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Switch to Forum Live View Soymilk is also owned by big dairy...
10 years ago  ::  Mar 10, 2008 - 8:26PM #1
Hi everybody.  Most of us know that some of the cruelest treatment of animals is in the dairy industry.  I don't mind consuming dairy if it's from true, organic farms where the animals are grass fed, pastured, and treated humanely.  I prefer Organic Valley which is a farm co-op. 

I've been drinking soymilk a lot too though because I thought soymilk couldn't have a link to the big dairy corporations.  I was wrong.  SILK soymilk is produced by Dean Foods (one of the biggest factory farm dairy corporations in the US)...   AND it is reported they source the soybeans from Brazil and China where standards are slack.  I knew Horizon products (by Dean) were under investigation for violations of organic standards and had read all the horror stories about Dean Foods.  I had no idea I was supporting that company when I bought Silk soymilk.

I just don't know what I can trust anymore. 

I don't know how to put a link into this knew forum but you can cut and paste this... … n_KEY=4756
Quick Reply
10 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2008 - 4:06PM #2
My favorite soymilk brand is Pacific, but I don't know who they're owned by.
Quick Reply
10 years ago  ::  May 20, 2008 - 1:51AM #3
Hi Ms.Sara;I know what you mean about the animals being abused,I live in Massachusetts and on the news it said a huge truck tipped over with it full of cows being brought to Boston, be milked it was stated the cows were all running down the high way some got hit by either cars or trucks and even if they did make it to Boston they are hooked up to machines and milked 24/7 until their teats are blood raw,they inject the femals to have calves too often but the calfs are used for their livers then when the cows cannot have any more babies they are killed for meat,and yes it's all too sad to see,read about or even hear it.The cats are being bought from shelters for lab experiments blew one of the labs up to end these poor animals suffering. All I can do is pray some times I leave flyers every where I go. Thanks for letting me post here.
Quick Reply
10 years ago  ::  Sep 16, 2008 - 11:49PM #4
Hi my friends,
A lot of ppl don't know that cows have a very short milking lifetime too.  Especially since they're so pumped up w/growth hormones, and crap to make them produce more.  I sure wish we could go back to the good ole days, when everything was safer.  Tams
Quick Reply
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing

Beliefnet On Facebook