Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Christmas Ham Replacement?
9 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 2:45AM #21
whichone

kats5dogs wrote:

Could you please send me your tofu steak recipe? Thanks!
Kats5dogs@aol.com

I am sorry kats5dogs.  I am in moving limbo right now.  I was supposed to start moving on Friday.  My hubby told me to start packing the day of my last post.  I finished fooling around on the beliefnet then 10 minutes later here walked in with boxes announcing, "Time to start packing, tomorrow the floorers will be laying down the family room floor.  It will take them 3 days then you can start taking boxes to the new house, while I am on duty."  I boxed all my books and a bunch of other stuff that I did not immediately need.  When tomorrow came we had very heavy rains and flooding, so everything was put on hold.  When we get to the new house and the internet is set up I will e-mail the recipe to you.  We have been building this house since February mostly by our own sweat.  I haven't done much cooking this year because I work too late for my husband to wait for me to cook and almost all my free time has been devoted to the new house.  Tomorrows nightmare is "the great curtain hunt."  I have to get curtains for 21 windows.  All the women in the family hated my idea of 21 sets of white Walmart ready made curtains.  Aaaaahhhhhhhh!  They are planning to drag me to every curtain and drape store in the state to convince me to do something different.   I used to cook it so much I had the recipe memorized, but for some reason I am just drawing a blank right now.

Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2008 - 8:20PM #22
ManzanitaBear
No worries, whichone.  I've moved so many times, even with less stuff than many people have, it's insane!

For the record:  I ended up making a lentil loaf/pate for Christmas Eve.  That proved so popular, even with the non-vegetarians (including the one person at the table with an "I am not a rabbit" attitude!) that I had to fall back on vegetarian sausage for Christmas Day breakfast.  I would've liked to try another dish for that, but time and space constraints made that not feasible in the end.

The lentil pate is definitely a keeper.  I'll hunt up the recipe and post it when I have time.

Thanks to everyone who responded, misunderstandings or no.  I hope we have some good ideas that some people may use, even if I didn't this time around.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 4:36PM #23
javababe
Oh my gosh, I would love to have that recipe; sounds divine! Good for you that you found what worked and was a hit. How awesome!
Many blessings to you and a fabulous new year.
*Peace*
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2008 - 3:33PM #24
ManzanitaBear
Naturally, I forgot to post it, but here's the link:  http://www.compassionatecooks.com/r/red_pate.htm

My adaptations: the amounts of wine and thyme are blanked out in the recipe, so I guessed and used 3/4 teaspoon thyme and 1/2 cup white cooking wine.  Since cooking wine is so salty, I then reduced the salt to 3/4 teaspoon.  It probably should have been only 1/4 cup of wine, because it took way more than 30 seconds for most of it to evaporate.

I also eliminated the shallots, since the onions I had were very strong.  And added a little basil and a little ground sage.
Quick Reply
Cancel
9 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2009 - 12:04PM #25
Shihulud
I don't agree with making them meat for the meat lover. If eating meat is against your ethical beliefs, than you shouldn't be forced to cook it for other as well. I go so far as I don't even allow meat in my house, and I will not even eat with someone who is eating pig. I believe in eating no animals, but eating pigs is just the worst. It's the same as eating a human. Would you cook human for a cannibal family member just to be polite?
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook