Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
7 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 4:49PM #1
RiverMoonlady
In July, I will be considered "in remission" - cancer-free for five years.  Apparently, I'm supposed to be happy.  In reality, I wish I had died.  I'm virtually unemployable, deeply in debt, miserable and disgusted.

Anyone else having this problem?  I feel alone.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 6:14PM #2
suewitt
Hi,

Ok I am not a cancer survivor,  But I have been in bad situations before,  I have wondered where my next meal would come from.   
It saddens me that you wish you were dead.  My best friend recently discovered that he has cancer.   And I pray everyday that he will live.

As I hope you change your mind and decide to take some joy out of the gift you have been given.   First I think that I would get out of the house, even if it is to take a walk, you will be amazed at what new things you can find along the way.    Pray er is a good step, think positively is another.  You are employable, you just need to find your nitch.  Starting  again could be a start of something wonderful.   Good luck and God Bless!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 1:12PM #3
RiverMoonlady
Thanks for your support.  Unfortunately, I'm over 50 and still have health problems both related and unrelated to the cancer.  Part of my immune system was surgically removed and they don't have a way to replace that.

I do get out a lot, I live in a beautiful natural area, I have friends and family - all I need is someone to respond to my resumes and applications and get past the fact that I've missed so much work in the past.  I have 18 years of experience in a wonderful field that I love, but I can't even get a job as a receptionist or file clerk.  I have no idea why this is happening, but there is always a reason for everything in life and I have always in the past been able to get past every roadblock in my life.

It doesn't help that I also have bipolar disorder, chronic pain and both GERD and IBS.  I take all my medication and don't disclose these illnesses but it must show on my face or when I stand up and my joints creak.  I don't know, but I won't give up.  Something good always happens eventually.

Thanks again!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 1:12PM #4
RiverMoonlady
Thanks for your support.  Unfortunately, I'm over 50 and still have health problems both related and unrelated to the cancer.  Part of my immune system was surgically removed and they don't have a way to replace that.

I do get out a lot, I live in a beautiful natural area, I have friends and family - all I need is someone to respond to my resumes and applications and get past the fact that I've missed so much work in the past.  I have 18 years of experience in a wonderful field that I love, but I can't even get a job as a receptionist or file clerk.  I have no idea why this is happening, but there is always a reason for everything in life and I have always in the past been able to get past every roadblock in my life.

It doesn't help that I also have bipolar disorder, chronic pain and both GERD and IBS.  I take all my medication and don't disclose these illnesses but it must show on my face or when I stand up and my joints creak.  I don't know, but I won't give up.  Something good always happens eventually.

Thanks again!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 6:22PM #5
suewitt
That's  better,  my joints creak too.  for different reasons.  I don't walk up the stairs with people, If I have to I talk and talk and hope they don't notice the creaks.   Little tricks like that I use.   I am glad that your not going to give up.  Good luck in your job quest,  They are hard to  come buy.  If you need an ear again I am here sometimes.  I am so glad that you wrote back!!!!

Have a great day!!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 08, 2008 - 9:49PM #6
frankieestep
Rivermoonlady,

It is quite common for cancer survivors to be "looked over" in the employment areas.  As a woman over 50 myself, I can't imagine having to look for a job again.  I changed careers a few times in my life, and have found that driving trucks is much better for me than an office job.  Try looking out of your comfort zone for a job.  Maybe there's something you can do that is totally different from what you've been looking for.

You will be in my prayers.  May you find the job situation that is perfect for you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 1:40PM #7
RiverMoonlady
Thank you, Sue and Frankie, for your kind words.  I'm thinking of looking for work as a home care assistant or something similar so that I can actually HELP people.  I'm good at listening and caring, as well as cooking and tidying up.  Somebody out there needs me, and I hope to find them.

Blessings to both of you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 1:40PM #8
RiverMoonlady
Thank you, Sue and Frankie, for your kind words.  I'm thinking of looking for work as a home care assistant or something similar so that I can actually HELP people.  I'm good at listening and caring, as well as cooking and tidying up.  Somebody out there needs me, and I hope to find them.

Blessings to both of you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 3:38PM #9
suewitt
That sounds Great my best friend used to do that and she was great at it.  I think you could be too!!!
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Feb 13, 2008 - 10:48PM #10
frankieestep
Rivermoonlady,

You might check with your local council on aging.  They offer tons of programs to the elderly, and they might be able to assist you with contacts.  My folks had a person who came in twice a week for 4 hours at a time for a while to "babysit" my Mom so Dad could get out and do things he needed to do.  They did light housework, maybe made lunch, helped Mom with little stuff like doing her nails.  They didn't need any type of medical background, because there was no medical stuff involved. 

Best of luck to you, and you are in my prayers.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook