Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 8:36AM #1
rideronthastorm
Ok Ive decided that I need help. Reached a bottom, just being a bottom dweller here. So I have the Pagan 12 Steps and Pagan support group on the net and I can go to meetings out here in Mesquite. I went to an Alanon meeting last night and nobody showed up.So Im going to try again this weekend.The internet program is faith based, however sense 75 percent of our alchoholics are faith based in Christianity I should just fit in.If anyone doesnt like it too bad.Its what I feel good about doing right now, so Im studying the Pagan recovery websight.

I feel better having made this decision though, sometimes I feel like Im disappearing off the face of the planet.I dont know if anyone can relate to that.

Blessed be, Elizabeth
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 01, 2008 - 11:24PM #2
rideronthastorm
Thank you! Yes I did go to an open AA meeting tonight and I enjoyed it well.Infact Im reconsidering doing the Pagan 12 Steps because I really just need to open up the big book and start reading it one page at a time and thats all Ive got time for.

However I have Pagan study books Im studying on Paganism and hopfully will make it back to the UU church anyway as well as the 12 Step programs, the UU church is where I get plenty of Pagan teachings anyway so.

I will do everything in my effort to keep my mouth shut and listen and not interject my religion into it.Everything in my power.

However I have to say this, there is a small group of people in both OA and AA who do tend to shove their religion down peoples throats, actually I walked in one of them trying to talk someone into church membership the other day.What i can do is just to stay away far away from this small group of people as I can, and let them know I dont have time to talk when I know theyve got their bible out thumping it, thats the best I can do. But if they corner me Im not going to lie, but lets just hope I can avoid the situation, just to let you know how zealous they are some of them
at the end of the Lords Prayer wil shout out "Praise God Halleluya!" Loud, a couple of times they scared me.

But as I said i will do everything in my power to avoid such situations, thats the best I can do.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 12:02AM #3
llord3
Elezibeth, when I went to a 12 step program for co-dependence they only said a higher power nothing about being Christian.  I'm an Unitarian Universilists and our church also has a CUUPS group that is Pagan so you might want to check out a Unitarian Universilists church in your area and see if they have a CUUPS group, most do.  I have been to many CUUPS meetings and they have nothing against a higher power and Unitarians are not christians but embrace all religions encluding Pagan.

Hope this helps you.
Jean
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 02, 2008 - 11:22PM #4
rideronthastorm
I did go today and it was cool. It was alright it was a good meeting.well see how it goes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:00AM #5
mikeincolorado
Riders,

Good for you. Honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness. In the Big Book, these are described as being essential
Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2008 - 9:00AM #6
mikeincolorado
Riders,

Good for you. Honesty, open-mindedness, and willingness. In the Big Book, these are described as being essential
Mike

"When I've learned enough to really live, I'll be old enough to die" - Johnny Cash
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 06, 2008 - 9:46PM #7
jonesg
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;258442]
However I have to say this, there is a small group of people in both OA and AA who do tend to shove their religion down peoples throats, actually I walked in one of them trying to talk someone into church membership the other day.What i can do is just to stay away far away from this small group of people as I can, and let them know I dont have time to talk when I know theyve got their bible out thumping it, thats the best I can do. But if they corner me Im not going to lie, but lets just hope I can avoid the situation, just to let you know how zealous they are some of them
at the end of the Lords Prayer wil shout out "Praise God Halleluya!" Loud, a couple of times they scared me.

But as I said i will do everything in my power to avoid such situations, thats the best I can do.[/QUOTE]

If they bother you just smile and tell them the Big Books gives you the impression that God prefers spiritual fruits , not religious nuts. They'll leave you alone.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 09, 2008 - 3:08PM #8
rideronthastorm
Well I had my first experience today. Ill be garteful yall can be proud. Went to an open AA meeting with MOm.Of course my Holy Roller friend who likes to shout Praise God at the end of The Lords prayer was there, and Ignored his Praise God as per usual.

Then when we were about to leave my Mom got a phone call on her cell phone and she started talking at the front doors where my friend was giving advice to someone while I was standing there listening. He said" We are suppose to be open and accepting of all religions and not shove God down peoples throats and the reason is this,
God is a perfect gentlemen, he wont force anyone to come to him, he gives them absolute freedom to burn in hell for eternity, and so thats what we should do. Be accepting of the fact that there are those who are taking the free will to choose eternal hell and  damnation instead of God".

At that point I just walked out the front door without my Mom headed staright for the car where I waited till she got out.
Well Im grate ful I was able to ignore it and throw it off my shoulders.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 11:26PM #9
freekate44
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;256532]Ok Ive decided that I need help. Reached a bottom, just being a bottom dweller here. So I have the Pagan 12 Steps and Pagan support group on the net and I can go to meetings out here in Mesquite. I went to an Alanon meeting last night and nobody showed up.So Im going to try again this weekend.The internet program is faith based, however sense 75 percent of our alchoholics are faith based in Christianity I should just fit in.If anyone doesnt like it too bad.Its what I feel good about doing right now, so Im studying the Pagan recovery websight.

I feel better having made this decision though, sometimes I feel like Im disappearing off the face of the planet.I dont know if anyone can relate to that.

Blessed be, Elizabeth[/QUOTE]
If the 12 step meeting is running correctly, there is only a requirement for a member to acknowledge a higher power.  That could even be "the group" as they are more powerful than you alone.  I am more a Buddhist than anything else but I still rake in the hugs at the end of the meeting.  Spiritual growth is spiritual growth in any religion or even lack of religion.  The closer you are to universal compassion the more speritually developed you are.  The more spiritually developed, the less problems with addictions or any other problems.  I've always believed that spiritual growth is the reason for life.  And being Buddhist I believe one has alot of chances for growth, if not in this life then in the next.  But life is easier and less painfull with growth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2008 - 11:42PM #10
cherubino

freekate44 wrote:

If the 12 step meeting is running correctly, there is only a requirement for a member to acknowledge a higher power.  That could even be "the group" as they are more powerful than you alone.  I am more a Buddhist than anything else but I still rake in the hugs at the end of the meeting.  Spiritual growth is spiritual growth in any religion or even lack of religion.  The closer you are to universal compassion the more speritually developed you are.  The more spiritually developed, the less problems with addictions or any other problems.  I've always believed that spiritual growth is the reason for life.  And being Buddhist I believe one has alot of chances for growth, if not in this life then in the next.  But life is easier and less painfull with growth.

I beg to differ. AA's third Tradition states flatly that the only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking, and that is reiterated in our Preamble. which is supposed to be read at every meeting.

For the record, and in its entirety:

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif]Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women who share their experience, strength and hope with each other that they may solve their common problem and help others to recover from alcoholism.[/FONT][FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Sans-serif,sans-serif] The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop drinking. There are no dues or fees for A.A. membership; we are self-supporting through our own contributions. A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.[/FONT]

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook