7 years ago  ::  Jan 23, 2008 - 7:09AM #1
neilm
Several months ago I was introduced to Sparkpeople.com, I have found this to be a fantastic method of losing weight.
As in all cases it simply is up to each one of us  to stop putting food in our  mouth, however Sparkpeople IS 100 % FREE!!! they have an amazing website, giving you all the help they can, there is your daily menu there you choose what you want to eat, and it ads up the calories, fats, fibres, etc, simply amazing, there is a program to keep track of your weight, there are wonderful members with whom one can interact and learn from other members how they worked their program.
I am astonished at most of those other weightgroups out there, the costs for their advise, or their own personal foods is too much.
In any case if you have not tried Sparkpeople give it a try, I lost 12 pounds in about 2 1/2 month and I never felt deprived or starving, just stick to your daily menu.  If there are some foods on there you do not like, the program gives you an option to substitute!!!
I cannot stand drinking plain water, so you can buy sugar free fruit flavors you can ad to your water and then I had no problem drinking it. and do so on  a regular basis.
In any case I certainly highly reccommend Sparkpeople
Neil
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 1:03PM #2
Shihulud
I don't like Sparkspeople. The forums the people are very down on themselves. They talk about how fat they are, and how their husbands hate them that way. It's very negative and depressing. And their calorie counters are waaaaaay off. They say things have more calories then they really do. So you will think you are eating 1200 calories a day, but you are only eating 800. This way you are sure to lose weight, but your metabolism slows way down in the process and your body does not have enough fuel to get through the day.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 05, 2008 - 3:01PM #3
IreneAdler
Shi- glad you did and in-depth review of this site. I have seen it mentioned in other places and decided to take a peek.  I didn't go very far (time constraint). To me it looked okay (this was before your assessment.). I liked the idea of many folks discussing food,diet exercise issues, but didn't take the time to read many posts. Mainly read articles.  They were okay, and probably helped those with little knowledge of diet/exercise issues.  Had hoped for more in-depth stuff, but totally understand why I might not find such things at this site. 

And I sure didn't check their calorie charts. The notion of misleading folks regarding calorie counts is, in my opinion, very dangerous.  Big negative if you ask me.

Still, I do like the idea of a free site to discuss such things, but if the general tone is negative and depressing, well, I'm better off avoiding such things. Can't see how that helps others either, but not for me to judge.

Well I'm disappointed. But I thank you for taking the time to peruse the site and post about it.

Irene.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 07, 2008 - 10:33AM #4
Shihulud
Irene, here's a site I thought was a lot better: http://www.hugs.com/01facilitator/corp/lindabio.htm
I think some programs place too much emphasis on counting calories or points, and not enough on the quality of food you are eating. It makes you see food as number of calories eaten, instead of nutrition for your body. The HUGS program (that i provided a link to) has a free online book which helps people stop dieting and be healthier.
Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook