Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2
Switch to Forum Live View Vegetarianism curiosity
10 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2008 - 5:29PM #11
SallySeven
I used to be a vegetarian, and I think it's not that difficult to switch to a vegetarian lifestyle. What can be difficult is getting enough nutrition. Make sure you don't go the pasta and potatoes route. Research vegetarian proteins, and make sure to try them out to see which ones you like.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 06, 2008 - 9:24PM #12
MademoiselleUK
A transition to vegetarianism is a pretty simple process.  Vegetarianism is simply everything but the meat!  The biggest change is that you'll be finding yourself scanning the labels of foods more often, just to make sure that what you're eating is vegetarian friendly.

I've also found that there are plenty of recipes free online if you're interested in cooking.  www.allrecipes.com is one of my favourites.  All the recipes are reviewed and rated.  Just type 'vegetarian' under the search option on the website and a gammut of delicious recipes will pop up!

Also, don't let your meat eating friends discourage you from going vegetarian.  When I went vegetarian the rest of my family ate meat and I did get some grief for not eating meat, but I've never regretted going vegetarian.  I just eat everything but the meat dish at dinner and I make sure I have fresh fruit, vegetables, grains, and beans everyday.  If you do that you'll be getting the nutrition you need.

Good luck to you!
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2008 - 2:21AM #13
ManzanitaBear
[QUOTE=MademoiselleUK;808002]A transition to vegetarianism is a pretty simple process.  Vegetarianism is simply everything but the meat!  [/QUOTE]
Depends on your definition of everything.  If you've never eaten anything but the meat and potatoes scheme (dinner=meat+potatoes, rice, pasta, or bread+vegetable, usually steamed to death), sticking with that and dropping the meat isn't going to keep you healthy in the long run.  You would need to add to that:  what can you do with vegetables if you make them the center of the meal?  What can you eat that will be filling enough (usually a sign that you're getting enough protein)?

For me, being a vegetarian is less about what I don't eat than about what I do eat.  Vegetarian means vegetables, lots more than I ate when I ate meat.  Lots of delicious vegetable centered meals.  And whole grains.  And some beans.

But tell people you're a vegetarian, and they'll usually hear the negative:  I don't eat meat.  They don't hear what you are eating.
Quick Reply
Cancel
10 years ago  ::  Oct 10, 2008 - 2:49PM #14
MademoiselleUK
[QUOTE=ManzanitaBear;808469]Depends on your definition of everything.[/QUOTE]

True, I'm a California girl.  We're lucky enough to have fresh fruits and veggies on our plates year-round, and most meat eaters I've met out here know that none can survive on meat alone.

Of course, no matter whether you eat meat or not, it's important for everyone to make sure they're having fresh fruits, veggies, grains, and beans everyday.  I've known a few vegetarians who ate nothing but processed food and were sick all the time,  Then again, I know lots of meat eaters who eat nothing but processed foods and are sick all the time as well.  It's all about balance.

It's amazing to me how little color many Americans have on their plates anymore.  It's all brown and white and heaped on their plates in huge servings.  People don't seem to associate color with nutrition, and nutrition really isn't emphasized in school.  People really do think meat and potatoes is a healthy meal.  This is startling to me!

What is funny to me, though, is that the first question people ask me when I tell them I'm vegetarian is 'how in the world do you get enough protein?'.  This is very sad to me, because most people don't realize that we don't need all that much protein in order to be healthy.  There's plenty of protein to be had by eating a balanced vegetarian meal.  Instead you have so many Americans eating protein bars and taking protein supplements... this is causing so many health problems down the road.  It's very sad.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 2  •  Prev 1 2

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook