Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
6 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2008 - 5:19PM #1
nnn123
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2008 - 1:52AM #2
OmTatSat
Yoga means to "unite" or "join" the aspects of ourselves which were never really divided in the first place. It also means to "yoke" or to engage ourselves in a self-training program. Yoga means working with each of the levels or aspects of our being individually, and then unifying all of those into their original whole, or Yoga. Yoga is a Sanskrit word coming from the root "yuj" and relates to both the processes or practices referred to as Yoga and also the goal itself, which is also called Yoga. As the goal, the word Yoga is virtually one and the same with the word Samadhi, the deep, transcendent realization of the highest truth or reality.
More:
http://www.swamij.com/yoga.htm

The typical public perception of Yoga has shifted significantly in recent years. To the ancients, Yoga is a complete system, of which the postures are a small, though quite useful part. The word "Yoga" referred to the whole, not merely one part, which is the postures, or Asanas. The entire purpose of Yoga is spiritual in nature, according to the ancient sages. In modern times, the relative position of the postures has been elevated, so as to lead people to believe that the word "Yoga" refers to physical postures or Asanas, and that the goal of these is physical fitness. The whole and the part  have been reversed, terribly misleading and confusing people about the true nature of authentic Yoga.
More:
http://www.swamij.com/traditional-yoga.htm
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 14, 2009 - 5:13AM #3
sameer
Very concise and well worded intro. Thanks!
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 18, 2009 - 11:56AM #4
nnn123
thank you for your responses!

yes, as you say....the Sanskrit root of Yoga means yoked to...it implies union.  And that union is union with God.

So Hatha Yoga is the path to union with God through the physical body.  Or exercises and disciplines of the body that aid with union with God.  More precisely that it tones the body to be a proper receptacle and instrument in the path to God.

Karma Yoga is the path to union with God through selfless acts of charity and kindness.

Dhyana Yoga is the path to union with God through meditation.

Jnana Yoga is the paht to union with God through wisdom.

These are all explain in the Bhagavad-Gita.

Here is a link for the Bhavagad-Gita:

http://www.bartleby.com/45/4/

Namaste
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 20, 2009 - 9:21PM #5
catboxer
One day this painful, existential void in the center of my life will be gone. I don't know who or what, or what combination of people, places and/or things will fill it, but I'll be among people and armed with a purpose.

The Indian author A.G. Mohan observes that "All of us have experienced times when it felt as though everything was coming apart, disintegrating around us into so many pieces, and we were without a way of holding them together. Yet often what is most fragmented and chaotic about the situation is not the events themselves, but the state of our own minds."*

He goes on to talk about "reintegration," the restoration to a state of mind in which we are able to see things clearly, and experience an underlying sense of order.

Nearly all of us do a lot of damage to ourselves over time, and the toxic society we're living does us damage as well. Healing the damage takes a conscious effort, and the breaking of old habits of body, breath, mind, and food. It may require changes in our environments, both social and physical. Plus the old, discarded habits have to be replaced with new, beneficial behaviors.

I'm at an advanced age to be embarking on such an ambitious undertaking, and I may never finish it. It took years of work and solitude for me to become as discontented as I am now, and a lot of water under the bridge to establish that dead emptiness that fills my insides. I'm embarking out of necessity.

*A.G. Mohan, "Yoga for Body, Breath, and Mind: A Guide to Personal Reintegration;" pps. 3-4
Adepto vestri stercore simul.ttr
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jan 30, 2009 - 3:22AM #6
Riteshjha
I'm curious where everyone has taken their yoga teacher training course?

I personally took my 200 hour training at Inner Vision Yoga in Chander, Arizona. It was an absolutely amazing experience and my teachers were exceptional. I'm looking to possibly start my 300 hour there In January and at some other training in Greece in June.
yoga teacher training course
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 03, 2009 - 1:29PM #7
yogi-x
I took my 200h teacher training at a yoga school in Oxford Pa that has since gone out of business. I found the experience less than I had hoped. Looking back I feel the teacher was going through a self destructive phase in her life and had some issues with males, and being a male, well, enough said. All in all the teacher traiining was a good experience.

One of the lessons I picked up from my teacher training is the danger of spiritual materialism, and the need, in the absense of a genuine guru (if such exist) for a good network of people who are honest enough to tell you when you're going off on an ego trip.

How are the Yoga schools in Arizona? We are thinking of relocating to Arizona in the near future.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 30, 2009 - 11:27PM #8
Sheilabest10

Very interesting thread.  Thanks for sharing your insights, experiences and knowledge about Yoga.  But I have a question though.  Is Yoga a religion and how is it related to Meditation?

New Meditator

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 28, 2011 - 12:53AM #9
Marina_J

Yoga is a complete mind and body practice that focuses on attaining self-awareness rather than a specific physical goal. There are a number of different types of yoga practices those focus and requiring different skills. Yoga really is attainable for everyone and no matter your age, fitness level, culture or religion it will provide you with significant benefits to many areas of your life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2011 - 6:36AM #10
nnn123

more articles on Yoga:

www.holisticonline.com/yoga/hol_yoga_hom...

+++

On Yoga and meditation:

Mahatma Gandhi on Ramanama (repetition of the name of God):

home.att.net/~s-prasad/mkrama.htm

www.mkgandhi.org/momgandhi/chap15.htm

+++

On Yoga Philosophy:

The Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda Online

www.ramakrishnavivekananda.info/vivekana...

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook