Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3
Switch to Forum Live View Yoga and Mental Health
4 years ago  ::  Oct 28, 2010 - 4:26AM #21
Marina_J

Just as yoga can help us increase our physical health and fitness, practicing of yoga has also been found to beneficial to our mental health. Yoga can help reduce stress, improve concentration alleviate mood swings. It brings awareness and the ability to be 'still'. Practicing pranayama helps bring mental clarity and calm. yoga workout can lower stress, improve health, increase mental wellness, give one a more flexible & healthy body.  It improves memory and concentration power.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 10:35PM #22
Shamanmystic

I reiterate Yoga = Joining of mind , body and everything else.....

Mind and body and all things, real or imagined, are but one thing.

Eivor Palsdottir

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 30, 2010 - 10:58PM #23
Shamanmystic

Nothing more need b said

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 08, 2011 - 3:45PM #24
Favir

Dec 16, 2007 -- 1:30PM, Truth27 wrote:

Greetings,  Are their any yoga practitioners out there with bipolar, depression or any other type of mental health issue who can testify to the benefits of yoga along these lines?  Which poses do you find help more?  Thanks.

I can atest to the benefit of Yoga on mental issues. I used to have major anger issues. Then I saw the namaste yogo on TV so I gave it a try. I got hooked and haven't snapped on anyone since.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2011 - 9:27PM #25
Tofutie

Dec 16, 2007 -- 1:30PM, Truth27 wrote:

Greetings,

Are their any yoga practitioners out there with bipolar, depression or any other type of mental health issue who can testify to the benefits of yoga along these lines?  Which poses do you find help more?

Thanks.

Hi!  I'm new here, and am so glad I came across this post, I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder ten years ago, and it is truly Yoga that has set me free of the label I was given.  I believe my disorder was caused by living in an unbalanced way.  It's sort of ironic, because bipoloar disorder is simply unbalanced energy within the brain, causing emotional issues.

When I took up Yoga, my life changed, I was able to stop the medications that were causing me much misery in my life, including weight gain, and blocked emotions!  I cannot stress the importance of keeping your practice alive when you suffer with bipolar disorder especially.  I think it's truly the best thing you can do for yourself!

Blessings!

Denise.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2011 - 9:28PM #26
Tofutie

Oops, I see you were also asking which poses help best, tree pose is good if you are a beginner, shoulder stand too, any backbending sequence opens the heart too, really try to get a very well balanced practice with every element included.  I do Vinyasa flow Yoga and have found Shiva Rea to be the best teacher for me, as she is soothing and gentle and never forces or pushes things. 

Best wishes!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2012 - 1:29AM #27
joanlynch21

Your mental health runs in tandem with your physical activities. Clearing your mind of all the external and eternal irritants as and pushing towards executing the yoga positions would help improve your outlook in life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Oct 02, 2012 - 6:19AM #28
David222

Yoga is a mixed exercise that is effective for both our physcial as well as mental health. The mind perceptions involved in yoga make it the most effective exercise. Yoga reduces the risk of many mental issues like, depression, stress, anxiety and grief.

Cary Health Club
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook