Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Yoga and Mental Health
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 9:06PM #11
puzzleman

Wendyness I agree with you. I like some of the excercises but I have to watch the artifical hip that I have. Everyone has a right to their opinion.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 9:53PM #12
Maya3

Yes, you are right most aware women wouldn't let their men into a yoga studio with a bunch of women

You seem to have issues with jealousy and trust, which is understandable because of what you went trough. I'm so sorry that you had to deal with this.

But I think that you are insulting to both men and women and yoga teachers with your blanket statements.

Men are not some kind of uncontrollable creatures who cannot be "let loose" among certain groups of people.

Women who are aware try to find a husband who is able to handle temptation and should not have to think about where she "lets" her man go. In an equal relationship there is no such thing as "letting" your spouse do this or that, a  relationship is based on love and trust.

I understand that you trusted your husband when you got married and I realize that men and women DO make mistakes unfortunately, but that does NOT mean that you have the right to stereotype and make blanket statements about yoga being a "breeding ground for temptation" and telling women that they shouldn't "let" their husbands practise it.

I suggest that you find a thread that deals with infidelity and marital problems to get some help. You might want to look through the forum, there are forums that deals with marriage and relationships.

Maya

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 27, 2009 - 9:45AM #13
Shamanmystic
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 23, 2009 - 2:01PM #14
Lex87

Most of what I've read states that yoga can definitely help with depression and anxiety. It may not help with actual weight loss as much but it is so fantastic for your body. (maybe try hot yoga if your interested more in weight loss) You've got nothing to loose by trying it!!

Wendyness, I too am sorry you are having a hard time.  It is not so much they are bad yoga instructors but maybe just bad people. I think warning someone off yoga because you've had a bad experience is not really fair. I  know men, women and couples that take yoga with out any  problems.  When a person in a comitted relationship strays, it's normally due to the relationship itself not the outside influence. Even someone with depression knows the difference between right and wrong.

Namaste

Lexy

I just got back from....yoga retreat mexico

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Sep 26, 2009 - 1:42PM #15
Wendyness

This perfectly explains the problem I have experienced with a yoga teacher that is a spiritual vampire.

www.lorinroche.com/page8/page137/page137...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 04, 2009 - 5:02PM #16
AnonymousCatholic

Currently, I am taking a yoga class at a community college I am a student at.

The class is: "Yoga for Beginners", where everyone learns such poses like Downward Dog, Bridge Pose, Wind Reliever, Chair Pose, Superman Flying, etc.

It's a fun 80-minute class and the professor is very nice.

Yoga has helped me mellow out and focus more on my studies.

A question: Why do certain religions frown upon relaxation techinques such as yoga?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 22, 2009 - 12:16PM #17
Intotheblue

AnonymousCat, I think it's because hardcore Christians are afraid of any kind of spirituality other than their own. When I was a kid and took karate for a short time, the instructor reassured me and my mom that it wouldn't make us any less Christian and all this kind of thing... We were like umm why would we think that?? He said some people do get very nervous about that sort of thing.

They think meditation is too much like prayer, except the Christian God isn't involved in it, and therefore it's worshiping something else, and therefore it's evil. It's sad because they lose out on some wonderful things by holding onto such mentalities.

Anyway to the original post - yes I have experience with that. I have depression and Borderline Personality Disorder. The latter has a treatment called DBT (which stands for Dilectical Behavioral Therapy), which has a lot of Eastern influence. One of its core teachings is 'mindfulness'. They start each class with a mindfulness breathing exercise. Sometimes you just count your breaths one to ten, over and over. Sometimes you do healing or calming visualizations. Sometimes you pay attention to all sounds you hear, and practice just acknowledging them without having an emotional reaction to them. When you do these exercises, you're supposed to breathe the same way you do in yoga. It brings more oxygen, helps you think more clearly, calms your emotions, and helps you to focus on one thing at a time (which is what 'mindfulness' means - thinking about only what you are doing in that moment, without being distracted by other things). They start the class with a few minutes of this, and then we are able to have a more productive class. But they also encourage us to do that on our own.

There are also other Eastern Thought aspects to the class, but they are less related to yoga, so I won't list them here (though I have a group about BPD if anyone is interested in learning more). When I was in karate, my grades in school improved, and my relationship with my mother improved, because I was able to remain calm and focused much better. Focus is required for the katas. You can't be thinking about twenty different things, if you want to do the kata correctly. So when you're taking a math test, you know how to focus on just that, and not worrying about what your friends are doing after school, or whatever. The same thing applies to adults - when you're at work, you're able to focus on the task at hand, and be more efficient and clear, and not get so stressed out. And with relationships, you're able to communicate better and stay 'in the moment' instead of bringing up past arguments and getting overwhelmed. Mindfulness is a wonderful tool.

Yoga emphasizes balance and equilibrium. There is no tension or pain or forcefulness. This is particularly important to people who have depression or other mental or emotional disorders. We tend to label all 'negative' feelings as undesirable, shameful, and so on. But we can't be -happy- all the time either. Sometimes we are happy, sometimes we are sad, sometimes we just 'are', right in the middle. Accepting this balance makes it easier to stop struggling and hating our emotions, and realize that they all have a purpose and we can work with them instead of fighting them.

Also yoga teaches you how to pay attention to yourself in a way we're not used to doing, in Western society. We're often taught that we have no control over many things about ourself (like physical or emotional pain). But when we do yoga, we find that we can work with our bodies to change how we feel. It is empowering and can give a person new hope. It gives them the ability to reduce their own suffering, instead of making them feel dependent on doctors or pills. I'm not saying Western medicine is 'bad', please don't get me wrong. But there are other methods out there as well, which can be used in combination with Western therapies. I know for a lot of people who have depression, it doesn't feel very good to go into a 'clinic' every week or month or whatever, and be looked down on, and prescribed pills, and given labels with negative stigma. But when you do yoga, and think of your body and mind and spirit as all one whole, and see that you can be part of your own healing, it is very encouraging. There is no 'judgment' in yoga. There is not a sense of "this is wrong, we can't accept it, we must suppress or 'fix' it," which is how we often think about emotional disorders. Instead, we just acknowledge what is, and then our entire Being works as One to make each 'part' whole. I'm not explaining it very well, but it's just a different approach.

One other important thing is that yoga teaches holistic healing. In Western society, we have a stigma about mental illness because we don't understand that it's all connected. We think only physical ailments are 'real', and if a person is depressed, they're just 'weak' or 'lazy'. These judgments are a hinderence to healing. But with yoga, we acknowledge and validate the whole Being, and see that healing is important to all aspects of a person. It doesn't matter whether your leg was broken or you are 'depressed' - one isn't more valid than the other. Thinking of it that way makes it much easier to make progress with healing.

This is just my experience, first-hand and from talking with a few people. I'm sure not everyone will see things the same way, and I hope I haven't offended anyone.

Namaste.

.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~.~*~

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."

"It is not our differences that divide us, but our inability to accept and celebrate those differences."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 01, 2010 - 4:08AM #18
Mike_thomas08

Yoga as general can be a good source of relaxation and wellness. It train us to relax our mind of any anxieties and our body of any stress. But to say that it can help/aid depression, bipolar or any type of mental health may not be 100% reliable.

It's still best to consult a psychotherapist or psychiatrist. With the right information from the doctor and yoga on the side, progress, balance and wellness is just a hand's reach away.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2010 - 3:08PM #19
Vegasinclair

I practice yoga on a weekly basis and can say that it has helped me deal with stress in a more healthy way. I also have mild depression and while I do take medicine I think any physcial activity is good for one's mood. I think yoga is not only good physically like other exercises but is even more good for one's mental health than most other exercises. -Vega Sinclair, Health Insurance Advisor

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 15, 2010 - 2:47AM #20
Marina_J

Psychologists recognize that moderate exercise is good for depression and anxiety. Yoga practice provides one with such exercise. Yoga postures are developed to promote physical strength, flexibility and balance.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook