Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Yoga and Mental Health
7 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 1:30PM #1
Truth27
Greetings,

Are their any yoga practitioners out there with bipolar, depression or any other type of mental health issue who can testify to the benefits of yoga along these lines?  Which poses do you find help more?

Thanks.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 9:37AM #2
banditt56
Truth- I was just browsing around and saw your post.  I can definitely testify to the benefits of yoga and depression.  I suffer from anorexia and in the past, depression.  I have done yoga for a year and a half with grest benefits from it.  I no longer suffer from the depression.  I went through intense therapy at an eating disorder clinic for 10 months.  At this clinic we had a variety of therapies and one of them was yoga.   I swear by the benefits of yoga!!!   I am no longer at the clinic but I continue to practice yoga faithfully and it helps keep me in balance with my mind, body and spirit.  If I miss a day or two, I feel the lack of balance.  Please give it a try.  I cannot  suggest any particular poses but just the simple act of doing it, anything was what helped.  Keeping the body moving in a very mindful way has a wealth of benefits!!   Contact me, if you would like.
Quick Reply
Cancel
7 years ago  ::  Jan 19, 2008 - 9:50AM #3
Adelphe
I was just browsing around beliefnet, too, and saw this post.

I am starting classes in power yoga on Tuesday, I guess also called "Ashtanga" yoga.

From the net

"Ashtanga yoga, Power Yoga or Ashtanga vinyasa yoga

Power or Ashtanga yoga is a "sweaty, aerobic form of yoga" taught by Mysore master K. Pattabhi Jois. It is often touted as "a workout that can change your life if you can survive it." It is often characterized as a yoga with a boot camp flavor.

For centuries, the term ashtanga yoga has been used to refer to the eight-fold system of practice prescribed by the sage Patanjali. K. Pattabhi Jois’ version of ashtanga yoga emphasizes a vigorous approach to the asana (posture) and pranayama (breath control) components of classical ashtanga. To avoid the confusion with traditional ashtanga yoga, some people refer Jois’s system as Ashtanga vinyasa yoga or as power yoga."

What attracts me is not the mental health aspect but more the "boot camp" aspect that I understand it to be. My sister owns a yoga studio and swears by it.  Her husband, a marathon runner, can't keep up.

I will post and let you know if I discern also any mental health benefits!
Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 26, 2008 - 6:52AM #4
tomagni
Hey there..

Everyone should care about their mental health.
There is lot of treatments available for maintaining physical Health but 'refreshing our mind' is the only remedy for mental health....!

Yoga is one of the best ways to refresh our mind.
There are lot of Yoga methods are available.
You may select simple and best for you.

If anyone know about new Yoga methods then simply post here.

Thanks,
==========
AleX

Addiction Recovery Wisconsin
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 31, 2008 - 8:46AM #5
Kindred322
[QUOTE=Truth27;143399]Greetings,

Are their any yoga practitioners out there with bipolar, depression or any other type of mental health issue who can testify to the benefits of yoga along these lines?  Which poses do you find help more?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Hi Truth,

I am a practioner of yoga, a psychotherapist, and a sufferer from depression. I must say that yoga, breathing, and meditation have a wonderful affect on your mental health. I try to encourage it in my practice, too. The body retains stress, negative emotions/expereinces, and through yoga those unconscious stresses can be released. I ask my clients to focus on what comes to their mind while in a deep stretch. Lots of times repressed feelings and memories surge into consciousness. IN a meditative way, I ask them to acknowledge, feel, and let it pass. In such a way, those experiences are processed in a more positive way...allows for therapy to take a more natural course. It is wonderful to use!! I encourage it to everyone....in and out of therapy....with or with out mental/emotional struggles.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Aug 14, 2008 - 12:53AM #6
fondofyoga
Hey Truth,

I’ve been practicing yoga for more than five years now and like you I had been affected by depression. The main reason for me to practice yoga was to overcome depression. My experience says that regular yoga practice and meditation will help you conquer depression to certain extend.

I’ll suggest you to learn basic techniques of breathing for your mental health. Include set of yoga poses (also called asanas), breathing exercises (known as pranayama), and meditation (termed dhyana). Start Yoga therapy, beginning with as little as 3 – 4 poses a day for just a few minutes, together with right breathing.

But, Yoga alone cannot to be used as the only remedy for mental disorders. All Yoga practices must be accompanied by proper psychiatric treatment and counseling.

Keep me updated!!!

For additional reference on yoga and depression, visit http://www.yogawiz.com

Cheers,
Nikoo
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 9:38AM #7
Maya3

Wendyness,

I'm sorry that your husband is not respecting your marriage.

But why are you generalizing and draw the conclusion that all husbands should stay away from yoga teachers?

Maya

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 6:03PM #8
puzzleman

I don't go to classes my wife and daughter do but they bring home books that I have read and there are excercises  that I have learned that actually help.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 14, 2009 - 7:12PM #9
Maya3

Jun 14, 2009 -- 5:08PM, Wendyness wrote:

Not all husbands should stay away from Yoga, but it is a breeding ground for temptation. If you don't think that even good husbands can't be tempted then you live in another world.  Most of the people who practice Yoga are women so your husband will be surrounded in a room filled with women in tight clothing in close quarters.  And if you think for one moment men aren't looking then you again live on another planet.   Furthermore,  there are many yoga teachers that do not honor marriages.  I personally know three couples that have had failed marriages due to spouses getting involved with Yoga teachers.  As you know there is a transference that goes on between teachers and students.  It is up to the teachers not to take advantage of a students vulnerability.  Do teachers take seriously the Yamas and Niyamas?  Believe me there are a lot of bad Yoga teachers out there as I'm sure there are good ones.  Honestly, anyone can become a Yoga teacher and most are asked to honor what Yoga Alliance has to say about teachers getting involved with their students especially married ones.  There are many spiritual vampires who guise themselves in tight clothing and spiritual awareness.  

Living on another planet? No need to be rude here you know.

I have practiced Hatha yoga for many years, and I trust my husband to go to Yoga classes as well, just as I trust him to go to the store, walk down the street etc.

There are plenty of women with tight clothing everywhere. Why do you think that I don't know that my husband is looking? Dont YOU look at men?

Yoga classes are NOT a breeding ground for temptation, adult men and women should be able to handle themselves in a crowded room where some women and men wear scampy clothing.

If your husband has issues with doing more than looking, then it is your husband that is responsible.

If a yoga teacher is acting inappropiateley then it is THAT yoga teacher that is not responsible. 

So ladies let me assure you DO NOT trust your husbands to yoga teachers, even more so if they are depressed!!!!!

To generalize and warn women about yoga teachers is silly. There are bad  and good people everywhere, please do not stereotype.

Maya

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jun 15, 2009 - 8:01PM #10
puzzleman

50 to 70 percent of marriages failed due to infidelity? Not inside a yoga studio, look most guys wouldn,t be caught dead in a yoga studio and if they were they would never hear the end of it. Hey if your worried you teach your husband yoga in a tight suit and see where it goes.Innocent

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook