Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Migraines~ Who Has Them???
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 12:54PM #1
MarleneEmmett5
This thread is for anyone who has Migraines or has suffered from them.
Let's hear your stories, tips and ways of coping with them..........

I'll begin, I began getting Migraines when I was six~they were right in the middle of the bridge of my nose.
My doctor thought they were just headaches from "growing up"
My first medication was:  Darvon~ didn't do anything pain wise. Darvon compond wasn't any better.
My headaches "laughed at" Bufferin, Exederine, Anacin & Regular asprin.
What did help me for a few years was Extra Strength Tylenol~ only problem was just taking 2 wasn't enough.
I had to take 4-500mg tablets to get any relief.
I tried Percodan~ I only had that twice,as my doctor didn't want me to get hooked.
Next drug didn't come along for a few years~ That's Fiornal 3/ codine.
That has worked for me but I only take it as a "last resort"~ I have to be in pain for more than 4 days!
What has more or less been a "G-d send" is  Excedrine Migraine~ take two tablets at the start of a headache
and a half hour later ~ NO MORE HEADACHE!!!
MY drug of "last resort" is Hydrocodine~ it's like the Fiornal only better. Fironal makes me real sleepy.

MarleneEmmett5
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2007 - 2:05PM #2
MKB
I have been Blessed not to have them.
I am so sorry for any who does.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 12:20PM #3
giertruidis
I had migraines for many years.
1- biofeed back
try and find someone to teach you Autogenics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autogenic_training

This helped me and my sister tremendously
It helped reduce the number and severity of the migraines and if you do get them you put yourself into trance mode whcih helps you "move away from the pain"

2 - herbal remedies
Ginger root tea
chop tablespoon of ginger, simmer in 2 cups water for 5 mins
strain, add sweetner

warning - raises blood pressure

It helps if you can take it when you feel the migraine coming on
Also helps with the nauseau

Sometimes for me heavy exercise when I felt it coming on also helped I remeber a day when I was on holiday and I could feel one coming on but I wanted to see this little lake above Lake Louise so I  climbed that mountain anyway and when I got to the top sweating and out of breath I realized it was gone ( the migraine, not the lake)

Apparently an orgasm also helps - deal with that your own way!
the idea is to flood your system with adrenaline when you sense a migraine coming.

For me the final solution was a complete hysterectomy and now as long as I avoid chemicals too much pollution  and stress combined I am not too bad.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 23, 2007 - 4:48PM #4
jonesg
I only get headaches when I'm overwrought, tired and undernourished, a good meal and  sleep usually takes care of it, but its crushing when it comes on.

I don't know if thats really a migraine type but if it is, I'm the cause of it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 7:39AM #5
rbchaddy2000
My wife suffrers from migraines. Richard
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 5:46PM #6
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=Willow Rhiamon;129579]Exedrine Migraine is what I have always taken. At this point I am beyond taking the prescribed doseof any pain killer. I had to stop taking Ibuprofen altogether because I have to take between 800-1600mg to get any relief (not just for migraines, I also get body pain) and now I have some sort of gastro-esophogeal thing. I have no insurance and have not had any for the past 7 years, so it's OTC meds or nothing.

I was recently given Topomax by an "angel" who was prescribed them but didn't see any difference with them and continues to get the prescription for me. Yeah, it's illegal, but the government refuses to force my daughters father to pay child support, yet considers the support he is ordered as my income so I get no benefits, yet no help from him. So why should I suffer as well? I get migraines almost every day during the winter, and at least 3-4 times a month the rest of the year. It's not unusual for me to get one that will last 3 days or more. At this point even the Exedrine Migraine won't even make a dent. Until the Topomax that is. Now as long as I don't miss a dose, I don't get any migraines. The Topomax is not a pain killer. I have no idea how it works, just that it keeps me from having them. If my sinuses are hugely messed up, I might still get an occassional migraine, but now the Exedrine Migraine makes it go away quickly. I don't know what I would do without the Topomax. I personally would rather prevent them then to treat them. I hate being doped up.

Downside? Alcohol consumption is discouraged. I still like wine, but the Topomax kills your appetite and makes it sound less appealing to me and it doesn't seem to taste as good. Also if I take any sort of sleep aid (I get insomnia sometimes) I will be drugged up the whole next day. I mean dizzy and really out of it. So you need to try to live healthy on Topomax. But that's fine with me.

I wish the herbal remedies would work for me, but they just don't. Mine are so severe that I can't think straight, bright light hurts, sound hurts, I throw up (which causes excruciating stabbing pains) and the pain is so severe that I am literally wailing in agony. Unless you have had one like this, you just cannot imagine the pain.[/QUOTE]
Willow Rhiamon:
Hello.do you know what brings on you headaches??
Mine are all *weather related~the least drop in temereature and I'm in agony*
I've got a real doozy right now that began on Saturday morning.~I took two Excedrine Migraine and 2 Dayquil before
we left to go to a family party in Conn. All was fine till we got in the car and headed home.
My head exploded in a mass of pain~the pain was behind my right eye and above/below it. My teeth hurt.
And I was stuffed up~the pressure was intense. I took something to knock me out.
I took 2 Tylenol PM + the last dose of Nyquil.~ I slept till 5:50AM then went back to sleep till 11:30AM
Last night I needed to take 2 Nyquil caplets + 2 Extra Strentgh Tylenol and slept till 5:30AM went back to sleep
till 6:30 when hubby left for work,when I awoke I took 2 Dayquil + 1 Musinix plus lots of hot tea.
By the way I slept with a pair of perscription sunglasses on last night that are triple coated!
the lenses are dark brown /black and are light weight.
Willow, try taking Dayquil Sinus it allows you to work and get what you need to do done.
As for the nausea~ keep ginger ale & soda crackers around.
Also how many pillows do you sleep on?? I sleep on 4 so that I'm "draining" it helps your sinuses.
Also most important~ is to stay really hydrated, drink lots of water.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2007 - 6:44PM #7
whichone
I went to a lot of eye doctors before I was told that I was suffering from migraines.  It always begins as a ring of fire in my right eye.  That is why it made sense to me it must be an eye problem.  The first headache doctor I went to said it must be in my eye because a musle is constricting around my optic nerve during the migraine.  I tried various drugs.  Imitrex got rid of the migraine really fast, but the 30 minutes of chest pains was scary as well as painful.  Some drugs worked, but when I read the side effects it really scared me.  One day when the migraine was so bad I was vomiting at work a coworker suggested Shiatsu Massage.  That turned out to really work for me.  Since then I don't use any medication for my migraines.  My massage therapist is fantastic, she will see me on an emergency basis at any time, although I usually just suffer till I think it is a reasonable hour to beg her to help me.

I have noticed some things that really help me.  If I exercise 30 minutes every day and eat a lowfat high fiber diet rich in vegetables (especially greens like spinach, Kale and brocolli) and fruits and get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, I have very few migraines.   A high fat low fiber diet combined with sleep shortages is a fast track to migraine for me.  Even if I have perfect sleep and diet, I can get a migraine, but the intensity is a lot lower.  When I am good, I never get beyond a level six migraine.  When I am bad, I am in agony and end up in so much pain that I am vomits.  I have no idea why the pain leads to vomiting.  One good thing about the vomiting is after an hour of vomiting the migraine disappears.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 1:46PM #8
MarleneEmmett5
[QUOTE=Willow Rhiamon;131367]I have many "triggers". Sinues are one, stress is another, depression can sometimes bring them on (especially if I am crying) I also get undiagnosed body pain. I am pretty sure I have arthritis simply because my joints feel swollen and achy sometimes, but I also get some all over pain that feels similar to the flu. I get that on average about once a month (sometimes more than once a month, sometimes I skip a month). And when that happens it triggers a migraine. Getting smacked in the head will trigger a migraine sometimes, but not always. Like if I open a cupboard door and hit my head. Not that that happens a lot, just giving you an example of what could trigger it. My sinuses are ALWAYS screwed up. It would be easier to count the days when they are fine. Actually I'm not sure if there are ever any days where my sinuess are fine.

But again, I have not had insurance for many years. And when I did, I was working two jobs as a single mother to make ends meet and didn't have time to go to the doctor. In my family if I didn't feel well, I must be faking it. So I was raised to think that my health didn't matter. so I have ignored things for so long, now that I have had enough and want to fix things, I have no insurance. And things have gotten really out of hand. I'm an extreme case. I probably should not have posted to this one. My problems are not typical to most people.

Oh on the ginger thing, when I was pregnant with my second child, I tried ginger supplements for the nausea that I had that was continuing into my second trimester. I threw up the supplements, but after the capsule had opened. The ginger burned it's way up my esophagus. Since then just the smell of ginger makes me sick. Weird huh? How something from pregnancy can stick with us?[/QUOTE]
Willow Riahmon:
I not only suffer from Migraines,but I also have 3 herniated discs/3compressed vertabre,Epilepsy, a torn ACL in
my right knee, 2 piched nerves(one in each side of my neck),Arthritis in my hands/feet & Sleeping problems
also Chronic Bronchotsis/Asthma & Allergies~ to that you can add High Cloestherol/High Blood Pressure.
When I was younger my parents never beleived me when I said I didn't feel good either~ That stopped when at
the age of six I was diagonsed with Epilepsy. I'm more than 150lbs overweight~ I must loose it but don't want
to have weight loss surgery, as there are many complications that could affect my Epilepsy.
I've not had a GrandMal seizure in 21 years~ I want to keep it this way.
I know I must lose the weight.~ Don't know if it will help the Migraines but it will help the other problems.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 16, 2007 - 10:26PM #9
pilahawaiian
[QUOTE=MarleneEmmett5;131723]Willow Riahmon:
I not only suffer from Migraines,but I also have 3 herniated discs/3compressed vertabre,Epilepsy, a torn ACL in
my right knee, 2 piched nerves(one in each side of my neck),Arthritis in my hands/feet & Sleeping problems
also Chronic Bronchotsis/Asthma & Allergies~ to that you can add High Cloestherol/High Blood Pressure.
When I was younger my parents never beleived me when I said I didn't feel good either~ That stopped when at
the age of six I was diagonsed with Epilepsy. I'm more than 150lbs overweight~ I must loose it but don't want
to have weight loss surgery, as there are many complications that could affect my Epilepsy.
I've not had a GrandMal seizure in 21 years~ I want to keep it this way.
I know I must lose the weight.~ Don't know if it will help the Migraines but it will help the other problems.[/QUOTE]
Trace Minerals and Migraines

Migraine headaches occur when the blood vessels in the brain spasm and constrict. Soon after this constriction occurs, the blood vessels then reflexively open, or dilate. When the vessels become dilated, they occupy more space in the brain, activating nearby pain receptors. It is speculated that an imbalance of mineral stores in the body can lead to this spasm of the blood vessels. Many researchers have suggested magnesium plays an important role in migraine attacks. The activities of magnesium in the body include preventing blood vessel spasm, inhibiting blood clotting, and stabilizing cell membranes, all of which are involved in migraine development. Magnesium concentration exerts an effect on neurotransmitter production and receptors, pro-inflammatory molecules, and other migraine-related chemicals in the brain. Recent evidence suggests up to 50 percent of migraine patients have lowered levels of tissue magnesium during an acute migraine attack. Another study discovered brain magnesium concentrations were 19 percent lower in patients during migraine attack compared to healthy controls. Because recent research strongly indicates a magnesium deficiency in migraine headaches, natural medicine practitioners prescribe magnesium along with other trace minerals as a primary treatment for this condition with great success.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Feb 04, 2008 - 11:21AM #10
sixtieschick
I have gotten migraines since I was very little. I used to get 2 to 4 a week when I was in school, and up until a few years ago. Now I get them about once a month. For about 5 days straight. The only thing that has ever helped me is Imitrex. I've tried every other cure possible, including some stupid doctor's idea to cut my hair when I was a child. He said it was too heavy. Wrong!! I feel for aqnyone who gets these awful things. They are a scourge on the earth.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook