Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 12:12PM #41
jonesg
Alcoholics with an aversion to God can realize they already have a higher power, its alcohol. So its just a matter of finding a higher power more powerfull than alcohol which doesn't want to terminate your existence.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 5:47PM #42
DotNotInOz
I've heard it said that in some of the major US cities there are 12-step groups that don't focus as much (or at all in some cases) on the religious-sounding terms in the BB. Maybe one of those, if you can find it, would work for someone who doesn't care for the religious overtones of Alanon or AA.

I don't know. As I said, I wasn't about to head right into marriage #3 after my second miserable divorce. I knew my head needed a thinking adjustment bigtime...and I got it.

The man who became Hubby 3 showed up about 5-1/2 years after I got a get-on-with-your-life boot out of therapy. We've now been together for going on a dozen years.

So, I say...
Admit it if your head is screwed up and just DO what you need to do to fix it whether that's AA or whatever it takes.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 5:48PM #43
DotNotInOz
How's Colorful Colorado? Good to cya! :::::waving cheerily::::
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Nov 22, 2007 - 11:59PM #44
jonesg
Propane paul,

maybe analysis paralysis is a term for something else,
you're looking for the answer and have yet to make a decision.
Thats not necessarily paralysis.
5 - 10 yrs from now ....maybe.

Anyone pushing anyone ,relating to the steps, might be in need of something themselves.    I never did a thing til it hurt enough.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 11, 2007 - 6:02AM #45
pickynickie1
[QUOTE=rideronthastorm;9439]i was told at OA that because I was angry with God even though I believed in him I am an Agnostic because everyone who is addicted and hasnt gotten support from a 12 Step group is an Agnostic because you cant come to know God if your addicted until you get help until you do you are an Agnostic, i disagree with that first place many people who are addcited know God like me, its just that my relationship with God is into at its best place because of my addiction.

Also OA like AA teaches that you dont have God untill you get the programin the  first place thats superiorism,
and its wrong, number 2 they also teach that when you get a sponser you do exactly as your sponser says to the tee even if you disagree with them or dont understand you do it without questiong it, that to me puts your sponser in a place of power over you. Also sense its mandatory to go to your sponser with spiritual issues and take spiritual guidance from your sponser its just a hop skip and a jump away fro the Christian to start believing they sent there to witness to their sponserees, everyone in my group is Christian.

I know, they also said you have a "God of your own understnading" they stress that but I really think the Christian many times interprets that as a personal relationship with Christ.

theyd also probably say though its a temptaion to use your power to get someone over to jesus its not neccesary true that they do do that.

Sorry, not buying it, thats too much of a questionable situation to accept spiritual guidance froma christian who believes Christianity is the only way, -uh uh- sorry, I dont really believe they can do it without going into witnessing dont believe it.

At this point theonly way Im going to stay with OA if I decided to stay is by getting a sponser over the net who believes like I do.

Whats the deal with that anyway, everyone is Agnostic who doesnt get god in a 12 Step program, sounds pretty biggoted to me.[/QUOTE]
An agnostic is one who isn't sure there's a god and isn't sure there is one.   If, as you say, you believe in God, I don't understand why you'd be called agnostic.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook