Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View What are your New Year's resolutions?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 21, 2009 - 2:52PM #1
Jeanninehunter

To keep them, some experts say New Year's resolutions should be achievable and simple.

Every year for Christmas, I tend to wish for peace on Earth and that no one goes to bed hungry. Thankfully, there are organizations and individuals committed to addressing those issues and ways I can support their efforts whether through financial contributions, volunteerism or spreading the word about their mission. 

Next year, I plan to volunteer more with local and virtual literacy efforts. I also would like to focus less on being religious and more on being spiritual, developing a richer relationship with God. Also, I want to heed a sentiment attributed to former first lady Eleanor Roosevelt: "Do one thing every day that scares you."

Among my perennial goals is maintaining optimum health - mental, physical, emotional, financial and spiritual. I have lost 30 pounds in the last four months. But according to the BMI calculator on a National Institutes of Health Web site, I need to drop more lbs before I am within the healthy range for my height. I am eager and energized to continue the work needed to achieve this. I would like to also resume steady contributions toward my retirement and eliminate my remaining major debt by mid-spring.

How about you? Share thoughts about goals you want to reach and any advice to help others do the same in 2010. For more insight, read suggestions from Beliefnet blogger and life coach Janice Taylor.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 12:44AM #2
Ceren

Hello!

This is a great topic.

I do have a couple of New Year's resolutions (although I follow the lunar calendar and the "new year" has already started for me!):

a. Qualify for Boston (i.e. Boston marathon)

b. Improve my swimming stroke and complete my first triathlon

c. Be more patient with my husband and less critical of everything

d. Definitely work on my obligatory prayers (we Muslims have 5/day)

e. Be a stricter vegan

I also pray that this coming year will be more peaceful than last year, I pray that more and more of us unite despite our differences to try to make this world a better place for everyone.

All the best,

Ceren

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 23, 2009 - 1:43PM #3
natureboy_the0

I have but one resolution for the new year and it has been my only one for 33 years, to allow myself to be led according to the purpose for which I am physically born and newly or spiritually born.  The later birth took place August 6, 1976 which made me the new creature I have become.    

Are you questioning your beliefs, ask I AM THAT I AM to clarify them!
Elijah Alfred "NatureBoy" Alexander, Jr. presenting SEEDS OF LIFE
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 24, 2009 - 11:38PM #4
Souljourney

New Year is on the way. My New Year's Resolution is to lose weight. I would like to weigh about 126 again. I weigh around 218.  So I have a long way to go.

My other Resolution is to Pay off my car. Which I know I will do.

My 3rd Resolution is to gain a fulfilling hobby and be able to make money with the new hobby.

Well, wish me luck.

As with any goal. I  need a plan. So, pray that I take the lead in this.

Karla J.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 26, 2009 - 2:25PM #5
lkooper

to be a better person to everyone

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 1:46PM #6
Stardove

My resolution is continue to be a non-smoker.  April 1, 2009 I gave up the habit.  Innocent

Fresh Air Group is so lonely.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 2:02PM #7
Samkay22879

Resolutions--I don't make New Years Resolutions because when I did I didn't keep them.  They were something that  was challenged on, something I wasn't ready to commit to, something too big but I didn't realize at the time.  So for the past several years I try to work on an area of my life that I want to, making small achievable goals.  And I can always change the area in which I want to work on.  Many people I know make a resolution like "losing weight" or  "stop smoking" and they get so far then regress and get down on themselves.  By taking it slow and forgiving myself for mistakes, the improvements I want to make I can--not to the extend I want--however it a work in progress.   And I am not setting myself up to fail.  It works for me!Smile

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 27, 2009 - 9:03PM #8
foerinbj

I quit making resolutions years ago!

As Janice Joplin said:"It's the same ******' day!" )-:

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 29, 2009 - 6:41AM #9
Teigrelily

Hi!

My New Years resolution is also my life's resolution. I am continuing to cultivate loving and nurturing myself so that I can pass it on to everyone that crosses my path.

Peace to all

Teigrelily

-------------------------------------------------

Please save the Earth...it's the only planet with chocolate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 31, 2009 - 5:46PM #10
Wyatt

I do not make any, resolutions, at all, I always break them. I just pray to the Lord that I will not make the same mistakes I did the old year, past.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook