Switch to Forum Live View Inspirational Quotes and Advice for Graduates
5 years ago  ::  May 13, 2009 - 12:15PM #1
BeliefnetAngels

Graduation is around the corner for many students ending a chapter in their academic lives, whether in elementary school, middle school, high school, college, or graduate school. 

What inspirational quotes and/or advice would you give to these young graduates?  Is there anything you wish someone (perhaps someone older and wiser) had told you when graduating from school or college?

Here is one of my favorite quotes for graduates:

When you come to the edge of all you know, believe in two things: There will be solid ground to stand on, or you will be given wings. (Unknown)

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 17, 2009 - 8:20PM #2
swinter5

My first bit of advice is: follow your dream, no matter how lofty.  If you have to start at the bottom - volunteering where you would like to work, researching activities that lead to where you want to end up - then do it.  Sometimes, even McDonald's is a starting point for managerial success or honing people skills.

I knew from the age of 12 that all I wanted to do was work in the Senate in D.C.  I grew up in IL, and created the TeenAge Republicans.  I joined the Young Republians, and worked grassroots - going door to door, handing out leaflets, manning the phones at all hours - ANYTHING, to get my foot in the door and network like crazy.

Instead of going to Smith (where my Dad wanted me to go), I heard of a fellow student a few grades ahead of me, who had her Junior year in college, at the  American University.  It was all I could do to control my enthusiasm - I was GOING to the American University as my FIRST choice - and got early admission!  The first thing I did, was volunteer in my Senator's office.  I learned the in's and out's of strategic policy and POLITICS with a capital "P".  Ultimately, my boss hired me on full-time as secretary to his Legislative Assistant!  That's what I DREAMED of - not BEING the Senator herself, but working behind the scenes to impart whatever knowledge I might have gained for the greater good.  SEE - dreams DO come true...

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 19, 2009 - 9:03PM #3
puzzleman

At graduation my Dad told me, If you never foret where you have been you will alway know where you are going".  In other words, as you climb the ladder to success it the people that work for you that got you there.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  May 23, 2009 - 1:59AM #4
legs48

My advice: don't follow what others tell you to do. Follow your heart. Find something that you love doing, something you'd do for free anyway and do it. If you can get paid for doing it,  that's true success. If you can't get paid for it, do it anyway and don't give up hope. Find a skill you can get paid for to pay the bills, but don't give up what you love to do. Sometimes the people who end up being successful in the end are simply the ones who hung in there no matter what. Either way, you won't end up having regrets because you were afraid to take the chance and took a safer path instead.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 12:53AM #5
Ravenwood

Love many...

Trust few...

and ALWAYS paddle your own canoe......

In spring time,
the pretty little ring time,
birds sing, hey! ding!
sweet lovers love,
the spring!

Willy Wonka
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 08, 2009 - 1:18AM #6
Tamilyn

ONLY YOU CAN SAY WHO YOU ARE.  YOU MUST DISCOVER IT.

ONLY YOU CAN SAY WHY YOU ARE HERE.  YOU MUST BELIEVE IT.

ONLY YOU CAN SAY WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO WITH THE ONLY LIFE YOU HAVE TO LIVE.---JUST DO IT.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Oct 16, 2009 - 1:49PM #7
Thesparkcoach

Make sure you create your life around what YOU believe life is supposed to be rather than just doing it the way it was done by your parents and their parents and their parents.  Think about what is important to YOU, what YOU want your life to be. Be courageous, have faith, follow your dreams.

You are going to spend a lifetime making your living, so make sure you follow your heart and find a career that is fulfilling, that stirs the passion in your heart and soul. If you're not sure what that is, hire a coach, someone who can help you through a process of self discovery and walk beside you as you create an amazing life for yourself!

One of my favorite quotes is "Twenty years from now, you'll regret more what you did not do than what you did do." Be willing to make mistakes, to "fail", because this will help you move forward. It is better to make a "wrong" choice than to make no choice at all!

Dear graduate, go thrive!!

Shannon, The SPARK! Coach, www.thesparkcoach.com

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2010 - 12:11PM #8
Marcion

The man in the arena

By

Teddy Roosevelt-1899

It's not the critic who counts. Not the one who points out how the strong man stumbled or how the doer of the deeds might have done them better.

The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by blood sweat and dust, who strives valiantly but errs and comes short again and again because there is no human endeavor without shortcoming; who knows the great enthusiasms - the great devotions, and who; if he wins, knows the triumphs of high achievement and who, if his efforts are checkered by defeat, at least fails while daring greatly so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Oct 15, 2010 - 8:14PM #9
darrenhenchback

May 13, 2009 -- 12:15PM, BeliefnetAngels wrote:

Graduation is around the corner for many students ending a chapter in their academic lives, whether in elementary school, middle school, high school, college, or graduate school. 

What inspirational quotes and/or advice would you give to these young graduates?  Is there anything you wish someone (perhaps someone older and wiser) had told you when graduating from school or college?

Here is one of my favorite quotes for graduates:

When you come to the edge of all you know, believe in two things: There will be solid ground to stand on, or you will be given wings. (Unknown)

Nice topic :). But surely you're always at the edge of all you know? Unless you mean the edge of all there is to know? Which of course is something that will never happen in any subject. If you mean the edge of everything the world knows... well that sure as well isn't something people reach after high school, college or indeed university.

Now, getting to your question. What would I advise? Here it comes...

"What ever you do, DON'T go to University!"

University in this day and age is a waste of time, money and your goddam youth! These institutions are there now not to educate people, but to make money. Better off get working early, get experienced while you're young and self-educate.

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 2 guests
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook