Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Your Favorite Things
6 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2008 - 4:17PM #1
Beliefnet_inspiration
In case of an emergency, I think it's safe to say that the most important things we'd like to protect really aren't "things" at all--they're our family, friends, and pets. But I recently got to thinking--what if I needed to evacuate my home due to a natural disaster? Although I do not live in an area where such evacuations are commonplace, what material things would I take with me if I only had a few minutes to leave my home?

I decided I would probably grab some clothes, jewelry, photos, important documents and a small wooden block that has a photo of a Care Bear on it (Love-a-Lot Bear).  My mom gave it to me when I was 5-years-old, the day I came home from my first day of school. I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

So--what is your most treasured material possession?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 06, 2008 - 10:22PM #2
savedbygrace
Next to my Bible, my favorite material possession would have to be my antique diamond ring.  This ring is special to me because it was a gift from my ,then, 12 year old daughter.  She found it on the sidewalk on her way to school.  She turned it in to the police and was told that they would hold it for a year.  If no one claimed it, it would be hers.  On Nov. 18, 1990, my birthday, the police gave her the ring.  She came home and told me to hold out my hand, because she had something for me.  She put the ring into my hand and told me that she wanted me to have it.  I had never had a diamond ring before.  I treasure her more than I treasure the ring.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2008 - 2:16PM #3
omahamad
I have learned through the years that one can get really bogged down, trying to hold on to many material things.

When I was a late teen, my Mom had her engagement ring sized for me.  At that time, I still had hope that one day I would meet someone special, and get my own engagement ring.

Well, at the age of 50, the most amazing and wonderful man asked me to marry him!  I've been wearing this ring ever since, and couldn't imagine anything more precious.  My Dad had passed away before I was 3 years old, so it was important for my Mom for me to have that ring since I don't remember him.

Mom finally got to meet this special man last November, and was so thrilled to see her ring on my finger.  She passed away just before the New Year, so it has even more meaning to me now.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 10:30PM #4
legs48
My most cherished possession, what I would grab in an emergency ? There are actually three. My cats. And I did just exactly that when my house burned down.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2008 - 10:30PM #5
legs48
My most cherished possession, what I would grab in an emergency ? There are actually three. My cats. And I did just exactly that when my house burned down.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 10, 2008 - 2:37PM #6
leonrobynhood
The most treasured possession I have is the sewing machine that my grandmother used to make my clothes with when I was a child. She passed away 3 years ago and it was one of the only things I inherited from her. The only other thing I would grab if the house were on fire is my doggy that my husband brought home for me 2 years ago. We don't have any children, so he's our child.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 12, 2008 - 1:29PM #7
desusie
[QUOTE=Beliefnet_Inspiration;400359]In case of an emergency, I think it's safe to say that the most important things we'd like to protect really aren't "things" at all--they're our family, friends, and pets. But I recently got to thinking--what if I needed to evacuate my home due to a natural disaster? Although I do not live in an area where such evacuations are commonplace, what material things would I take with me if I only had a few minutes to leave my home?

I decided I would probably grab some clothes, jewelry, photos, important documents and a small wooden block that has a photo of a Care Bear on it (Love-a-Lot Bear).  My mom gave it to me when I was 5-years-old, the day I came home from my first day of school. I remember that day as if it were yesterday.

So--what is your most treasured material possession?[/QUOTE]

I would grab photos - only after my family and pets are safe - photos cannot replace sharing our memories they help bring our memories to life with others
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 6:00PM #8
Kirstensmama
My most prized possession was a gold bracelet that my father had bought me when I turned 13 years old.  It was very special to me because my dad was never one to remember anyones birthdays or holidays on his own and he definitely never bought any gifts himself.  He surprised it with me in a burgandy velvet box the morning of my birthday before I left for school that day.  I was so proud of it and showed it to everyone that I knew.  It really made me look at my dad in a different light and acknowledged that, although he never had the words to express what he felt, he loved me.  Saddly, my grandfather, his dad, past away about two years after that.  I never had the chance to tell him the things that I wanted to say.  With that, I felt like I had been the same way that my dad was when he had given me the gold bracelet.  I took the bracelet off at the funeral prior to them closing the casket, and I laid the bracelet inside his jacket pocket.  I guess in a way it was my way of saying everything I never did.  My dad was there with me when I did it, and even to this day, we have never spoke of why I did it or anything about it.  I suppose  we both know that the bracelet he gave me was more than just a bracelet.  It contained some type of magic that captured all the love and unspoken words, lost hugs and  I love you's that never got to be.  Now I feel content knowing that my grandfather knew how much he was cherished just like my dad did for me.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Apr 14, 2008 - 6:17PM #9
Gandalf_Parker
People often dont know until its too late. Its like getting mugged. At first you cry about the loss of money, then cards, then ID. But eventually what you miss are photos and little reminder items that you had stuck in the wallet. And the worst thing is knowing that the thief probably just tossed that in a dumpster somewhere.

Personally I would have said my computer but the important info on it that I would miss is in multiple locations on servers in very different geographical locations.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 30, 2008 - 6:14AM #10
Katan
I would want to save my prayer beads, and my sketch-book, and, well any of my books, really. And my computer. It took me such a long time to save up for it, and it's got most of my writing on it. I'd really miss that if I lost it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook