Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View To Thine Own Self Be True
4 years ago  ::  Nov 16, 2009 - 10:19PM #31
LuvBear

I found To Thine Own Self Be True to mean What God Has made me to be. Not what others expect me to be. I think it's important to stay "True to Yourself."

I am not your normal average Christian. I do things differently. I wittness to others in a different way then some. I share my faith in a different way. But, they know I am walking with the Lord by my side. I have a way of sneaking the Lord up on them that they don't know what hit them until it's to late. Hee Hee!!

I feel we have to be True to ourselves and not be what someone else wants us to be, or thinks we should be. We have to be True to ourselves no matter what the subject. Abortion issues, Drugs in our Cities, Crimes in our Cities, Same Sex marriage issues, different religiouse beliefs, etc. But it all starts with Love. We can all be the same with Love, and be respectuful of other another's ideas as long as we stay true to ourselves at the same time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Nov 17, 2009 - 12:36PM #32
Tillie

To Thine own self be true.....says a lot!  I feel that it is important to be true to one's self; otherwise I would be living in denial or minimizing my own feelings and truths in my own life.  I am not able to help anyone else if I don't realize my own defects of character.  This is when I may wrestle awhile with the finding out of my errors and defects in my character due too, I may not want to deal with that defect in me right away. 'LOL'  Denial! Remember that movie "Nemo?"  The part where the sharks are having an A.A. meeting and shouts out to 'Nemo'--Denial!  It is funny how the children's movies can say things that are funny; however can have a message to impart.Smile   

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 08, 2009 - 6:39PM #33
Marymichele

My mom always used to say that me when I was in a hurry to leave for school.... She explained, it meant.... Take care of your own self by way of personal hygine, feeling good about yourself and your decisions, and most importantly, ( How are we to care for others if we don't care about ourselves???

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Dec 28, 2009 - 10:27AM #34
Principle-vs-bias

'To thine own self be true' in my opinion, speaks to not just doing what is morally right or appropriate, but doing what is morally right and appropriate for YOUR OWN situation and circumstances....irrespective of what others may think. There is absoulutely nothing wrong with accepting or seeking advice/ suggestions, but only you can determine what decisions will contribute to making you the best YOU you can be, which should be our ultimate life goal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 27, 2010 - 7:37AM #35
lulu2

The love of self will be known , when we stop seeking to teach others and begin to focus all that we have in teaching ourselves how to BE . When we realize the difference between selfishness and Selfhood. And when we stop using cliches, of love and light, stop believing we are the world teachers,  and begin to live what we say. When we no longer need to support our ego more than we support our Soul. When we learn  there is only One Teacher that directs our World to live Our Best Life. When we begin to truly practice what we preach, and when our being remains the same no matter what situation, what trial, or what fear seeks to make us different from who we truly are.  

Without the Soul of Christ alive in us...we are nothing but empty shells...
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 12, 2010 - 5:06AM #36
Feathersnowfly

When the universe unfolds to you BEING your true self with positive renforcement.....PRICELESS. More reasons to be grateful await, I know it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Feb 16, 2010 - 12:53PM #37
maudiesybil

This means to me to be true to my innermost, basic beliefs as to how I treat others and my world. It does not mean, though that my thoughts, beliefs, politics, etc. may not change as I grow and my relationship with God deepens and develops. The things that were taught me in childhood may not reflect all of my values today, as I have gained wisdom over the years. I have to keep checking in with that power greater than myself to see what the next right choice is.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 07, 2010 - 7:59AM #38
Casondra

To thine ownself be true definitely tells us that it is most important for us to be "real" with ourselves.  When we lie to others, many times be start living the lie; which in no way describes who we are as a person.  All in all, it allows us to live a free life with no constraints.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2010 - 11:09AM #39
Kimberly

I am learning to be true to myself by not having to follow behind people but to make my own path true to me. I cant make everyone like me or be my friend but i thank god that he is my friend and i have a good husband and 2 little boys that love me sooo much! Pray for us always in Jesus name.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 06, 2010 - 8:31AM #40
Mybutterfly

Smile it really feels good just to be yourself..afterall, who knows who?..one doesn't have to play by the rules set by others. although sometimes, we do agree and feel comfortable by and with others, still ourselves are the judges of what's really best for us. even if they are our mother, father, brother or sister, our inner self is just so unique from theirs. we may have same genes, breath same air, share same faith, just the fact that  i or you is another human being clearly explains to it..

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook